The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Rear hatch mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elocneas

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
building a 1g gsx and thinking about taking the rear wiper off and that antenna to get a better look. Just wanted to see if any one else thinks this is a good idea or a waste of time. Not sure if fiberglass would be the best choice to do this or if there is a better way?

IMO, I think it will be worth the time. There is a lot of people who have taken off the antenna, but not sure about the rear wiper because it seems like the rear wiper will come in handy on snowy/rainy days. But I believe the rear defroster can take care of that. Otherwise, go for it.

Have you looked into OEM replacement wings without the wiper hole? I'd love to find a CF one to match my hood!!

I will have to search on those. That would make my job easier as long as its not super expensive.

I removed my antenna but went with a red wiper blade to match my car and it looks clean. who needs a radio anyway. LOL

Cool Idea. Ya I figure the exhaust will make the radio pointless.

for a quick temporary fix for covering up the holes you can use aluminum tape. just put a few layers on the inside of the holes and it works great, keeps out water, snow, dirt, anything really. it doesn't look good though

I got a 2gn rs and I did the wingless look on mine i did bondo on mine it's holding up well have to paint the whole car anyhow so it didn't matter to me there was a huge hole where the third brake light wires came thu hope this helps

Btw it got to cold to finsh it out the bondo and primer

Btw it got to cold to finsh it out the bondo and primer

Attachments

• image-1948424820.jpg
    image-1948424820.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 176
  • image-3486978547.jpg
    image-3486978547.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 166
  • image-1969941515.jpg
    image-1969941515.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 159
I like the idea of smooth lines on the car so my thought was to get rid of the wiper and antenna. I was thinking about fiberglass on the inside and bondo to fill the holes.

did it to mine. I welded some scrap metal to the inside of the hole, filled it with more weld as much as i could, ground it down, applied fiber glas. Primer, and ready for when I repaint the car. Lucky my oem color is now faded gray, (instead of silver quartz metallic LOL), so dark primer blends in nicely for now.

If you had a rear wing, you will need to hit the JY for a rear center high mount stop light, bolts right up.

did it to mine. I welded some scrap metal to the inside of the hole, filled it with more weld as much as i could, ground it down, applied fiber glas. Primer, and ready for when I repaint the car. Lucky my oem color is now faded gray, (instead of silver quartz metallic LOL), so dark primer blends in nicely for now.

If you had a rear wing, you will need to hit the JY for a rear center high mount stop light, bolts right up.

Did the same with mine.

Best option is to weld and then use filler after grinding down the welds.
Use GOOD filler like Evercoat and NOT Bondo (junk!).

Thanks guys ya bout to get a welder here in the next week so I will be more equipped to tackle the job

Like this? It's pretty easy to do. I may know someone who's done this sort of thing before;)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats a pretty sweet ride you got there.

I removed my antenna but went with a red wiper blade to match my car and it looks clean. who needs a radio anyway. LOL

i do on my spyder LOL cant live without music and my car :hellyeah: course my exhaust is louder than my radio but when i crank my sub on 800w you feel the music LOL

I removed the rear wiper off my gsx. Removed the wiper and motor and just cut out a piece of thick plastic to size, painted it white, and glued it on the wing with gasket maker. Kinda ghetto but it works and looks decent. Plus I can always remove it and put the wiper back on.

Fiberglass doesn't work for very long. It'll eventually crack through the paint. My body guy is gonna plastic weld in the same type of plastic and then do the normal body work to smooth things out.

Fiberglass doesn't work for very long. It'll eventually crack through the paint. My body guy is gonna plastic weld in the same type of plastic and then do the normal body work to smooth things out.

Plastic weld might be what I look into doing.

I shaved my whole rear. Spoiler, wiper, antenna, and fluid nozzle. I think it makes the car lines look much cleaner. I glued mesh screen to the back of the holes and used bondo over top. Did that 3 years ago and have not had any problems with cracking.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 170
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back