The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Quick Camshaft I.D. R5/R1 stamped in cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirrofab

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2006
gouldsboro, Pennsylvania
I'm trying to help a friend here with a galant that I'm doing some work for.
I should have taken pictures but unfortuneatly I'm an idiot and didn't. I'm trying to keep from pulling the valve cover back off. The cams are very clean and bright in color. No paint marks. Just 2 raised machined rings on the intake cam were the oil cap would be if you were to look down inside and between cylinders 3/4 on the camshafts there is an "R1" stamped into the one cam and "R5" stamped in the other. I have compared them to my stock 90 cams and they dont look anything alike. Some searching on the net only came up with an unanswered question on dsm talk regarding a R5 R7 camshaft i.D. Some other searches have sent me to Crower cams or Comp cams. But I can't find any info regarding of these cams specifically with this stamping. Help is greatly appreciated. The car doesn't idle the smoothest but it has a quite a few bugs we are working out of it at the moment.

I know it would be impossible to tell but the Springs and retainers seem to be bright in color and possibly new(er). Is there any way to I.d these as well or is it just a grab bag at this point.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back