The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Questions on my engine and trans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHL

Probationary Member
Nov 8, 2020
Olympia, Washington
Hello. I'm new here and I recently picked up a 1990 galant gsx that snapped its timing belt. Because it has been sitting for a while I have decided to just pull the engine and rebuild anything that seems necessary. My question is if anyone can help me identify this engine and trans. They are not what came originally with the car so i'm trying to get more information to help me order parts. I can't find a vin number on the block only the id number. Im assuming its a 6 bolt block and am unsure about the transmission. Also every list i have gone through to identify the trans doesnt have information on this transmissions code. Any information helping me know what I have would be appreciated.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 20201108_142210.jpg
    20201108_142210.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20201108_142219.jpg
    20201108_142219.jpg
    904.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201108_142522.jpg
    20201108_142522.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201108_142240.jpg
    20201108_142240.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 70
  • 20201108_142405.jpg
    20201108_142405.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 66
If you read down that list it looks to be a w5m33 (same as turbo dsm) from an expo. You will have to decipher what final drive it is. transfercase etc. I would not assume anything at this point.
You can follow the books and see what it is supposed to be but anytime you don't have history I would verify. See if you can find a vin stamp on the engine block and you might get a better idea of what it's supposed to be.
Other than that you'll need to verify 6 vs 7 bolt at a minimum.

That's where I'm stuck. There is no vin there.

Even with no serial number you can still figure out 6 bolt or 7 bolt and just buy parts based off that. The fact that it has the front motor mount on the block tells you that it's going to be from the Late 80's or early 90's. To determine if its a 6 or 7 bolt without opening it look at the timing side of the oil pan. If it's 100% flat it's a 6 bolt and if it's got a small curve/dip to it then it's a 7 bolt.

To buy parts: Order for a 1991 Eclipse if its a 6 bolt and order for a 1994 eclipse if it's a 7 bolt.

Can't help you on the transmission unfortunately but there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on here an someone should be able to help you out

That's where I'm stuck. There is no vin there.
If i recall that means it wasnt originally in a car. It was a replacement engine. The trans is from an expo but 4g63 didnt come in an expo in the us. So its from somewhere else.

The guy who sold me the car said he got the engine from Japan. I'm guessing the trans too. He didn't give me very many details. So far I have a 6 bolt that was not made for a car but as a replacement, and transmission out of an expo. Seems to be about the hardest combo to find exact details on. Just brought the head to the machine shop this morning and will be ordering some parts tonight. Can't wait to take the new galant for a first drive. Thank you all for the support!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back