The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project Superman: '90 Talon - building my first drag race car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2004
New York, New_York
Project Superman

Ok guys, this is a project I know you are going to love. Most guys who put up build project threads on this site are experienced DSM builders. Their project threads just details what they are doing to the car daily. There is barely any interaction. This build will be different because I don't have any experience building DSM drag cars. This will be my first build. I figured since I have access to some of the most talented DSM builders who can build cars in their sleep, why not ask for help. So I hope you guys don't mind helping me with my build. Ok, let me give you more information about the project and myself.

Project Details

Project Name:
Superman (Nickname given to me by my auto school teacher)

Project Budget:
$ to be determine

Project dead line:
2010 DSM shootout. (Hopefully)

Builder Information

Screen Name:
Superman (I have been on the site since 2004; however, I don't
post much. I usually find what I need using the search function.)

Customer Service Representative (Stop laughing)

Experience:
Not much, did some mods to a 1g talon; nothing serious.

Education:
Attended a 2 year automotive program.

Certifications:
I have five ASE certifications (This means nothing without
experience. I'm just good at tests.)

Racing experience:
I don't even have a helmet.

Vehicle Details

Year: 1992
Make: Eagle
Model: Talon
Drivetrain: AWD
Induction: Turbo
Mileage: 98,000 miles
Color: Black
Differential: 4 bolt rear
Engine: 2.0 liter (I think it is a 6 bolt. I will have to check; I hope it is)
Transmission: 5 speed

Performance Goals and Details

Horse Power: 700 -800hp on E85 (it's cheaper than race gas)
Torque: 500-600
ET: 9.50 (hopefully)
Speed: 150mph (I think this is about right)
Weight: 2700lbs (without driver)
Safety: Full cage, fire suppression, racing seats, etc.
Tires: Drag radials
Exterior: Carbon fiber wherever possible.

Project Outline

I felt the best way to do this is to break the build down into 6 sections. This will help me stay organized and make it easier for you guys to keep up. Below is a brief description of each section.

Section 1 Tear Down

This is where I attempt to take apart my car. This section consists of stripping the car of all no essentials and getting it ready for the cage.

Section 2 Suspension & Drivetrain

In school I learned that you build drag cars from the ground up; so that's where I will start. This section concentrates on the suspension and drive train components. I would like to: install urethane bushings all around, Install cradle bushings (Shearer fabrication pieces), have the rear diff serviced, install drive shaft loops, install coilovers, upgraded axles. I will also be doing some general maintenance like: ball joints, tie-rods, wheel bearings & seals, new drive shaft, clean and paint parts. I know I am forgetting stuff so please feel free to inform me.

Section 3 Exterior & Interior

Ok, in this section we move back to the body & interior. In this section I want to: remove bumper supports front and back, install race seats, have the cage installed, install shifter, fire suppression, install gauges and dash, etc.

Section 4 Engine & Trans

This section includes: assembling and installing the motor and transmission (Shep rebuild), intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, exhaust, etc.

Section 5 Wiring

In this section I hope to wire the car myself. This will include: gauges, ecu, safety stuff, etc.

Section 6 Tuning

The tuning will be done by a local shop (probably Turbo Trix or Ivey Tuning). I would like to start the car on my own. We will see.

Then it should be all done. Not so hard right (LOL). I know I am underestimating this project, but it's worth trying. At the beginning of each section I will list the work and parts needed. I will look for you guys to give me some feedback and suggestions. I think this will be fun. Below are some pics of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go out and run 12's before you try to run 9's.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you don't run a marathon because you can walk on a treadmill.

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I have taken my other car to the track. It ran 13s (I was not launching hard). I know you should walk before running. I just wanted to try building a real race car. But thanks for the advice. For some reason my pictures are not loading.

Thanks for the advice. You are right. I have taken my other car to the track. It ran 13s (I was not launching hard). I know you should walk before running. I just wanted to try building a real race car. But thanks for the advice. For some reason my pictures are not loading.

I have had my fingers in a lot of fast DSM builds, I will send you a PM here in a few. You seem to have most of the right ideas down unlike a lot of young kids on here.

Pics

DSC00011ss.jpg

Your so close to New Jersey and if your having turbotrix possibly tune the finished product then have dogbox racing rebuild your tranny. There based out of howell nj which isn't to far from turbotrix. They have a huge bang for the buck when it comes to tranny rebuilds.
The only other thing I can suggest is PATIENCE and RESEARCH!!!

Thanks for the info. Dogbox does some good work. I know how high powered dsms work. You spend a lot of money on the car to get it to go fast; and the first time you go to the track you blow the rear end off the car and send it down the track. Then you kick yourself for building a DSM and part the car out. I know this is how some projects go. I am willing to take the chance. I love these cars. Let's see how far I can get.

for some reason I can't post any more pictures. I will have to check with the moderator to see if there is a problem.

Run 9's before you run 12's. Because then you just skipped out of the 6 months of going back and forth to find parts that you just broke. Build the car to run 8's and you will be strong enough for 9's. I am helping a friend currently build a drag car; 1972 Datsun 240z - LS1 turbo, tubbed out, caged out, you name it he wants to run 8's. Build what you want to run, and you will be happier when you get kicked out of the track for running to fast.

Don't buy new parts, wait for partouts they are common. Because they are so common, there's a lesson to be learned there too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been taking advantage of some part outs and recent sales. I started the tear down; however, I can't post pics. I hope to have this issue resolved so I can continue the build.

Hi,

I also have a dream of building a 9 second DSM, I'm working on it now but do not plan on running better then high 12's out of the box.

Yours looks like a complete teardown and rebuild, mine once it gets going will be more progressive. Hopefully it works out for us.

Good luck,
Bill

Yes as sad as it is my car is a product of many part outs where people changed their mind or setups and bailed. You have a good outline on what to do just keep in mind however much and long you think it will cost it will cost more. I am a ebay and classfieds HAWK LOL. I will hold off till someone is selling something and hop on it instead of dumping loads of money on stuff new and I will end up with the same thing. I just picked up my ported polished head with cams springs retainers and 1mm+ valves for $700 shippedWTF. Porting work a lone cost like $600.

I heard you say in school they tought you...so I assume you know how to do some work yourself which is good because that's another thing I learned do NOT count on anyone but yourself to get your build done. YOUR build will never be someone else's priority no matter how much money you give them. Last thing is before you go out and just start buying parts that are good for tons of power read research then read and research some more......then read and research some more till you really only ask for people's opinions more than what you should run. When you still have to ask what parts to get your not ready for a car that goes that fast. I ask what people think sometimes between x and y part but that's different then I want to run 9's which tubro should I buy. Other than that good luck and stay on track and don't let the bad shit, and there will be bad shit that happens, get you discouraged. Never look at the car as a means for money either that's how people bail and sell because they need money because they're having a kid or moving or don't have room. All cop outs for not wanting to finish a build. Looking forward to future updates :thumb:

Thanks for the info. This is really sound advice. I have been on this site a long time reading various build threads. I understand some of the challenges facing me. I know I could spend thousands of dollars to blow up in the end and have nothing to show for it; but I can't stay on the side line anymore. I want to try to build this car before I get married and have kids and can't build anything. It's life. You win some, you lose some; but you have to get into the game. Whether I win or lose I will have fun doing it.

Regarding parts; all the parts I have bought so far have been on sale. I researched as much as I could. That's why I don't have a lot of posts; I mostly just read other peoples threads. I hope to have pictures up shortly. I am limited because I am identified as a new member. That's what I get for reading and not posting.

pics

Attachments

• DSC00013ss.jpg
    DSC00013ss.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4,303
  • DSC00009ss.jpg
    DSC00009ss.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,309
Thanks. I learn a lot from following your build. More updates and pics to come guys.

First off nice car, and as said above it looks like you have a good stating point. No ABS will save you some work as well and it doesn't look like anyone has been hacking it up before you, i looked at a lot of cars that were before i found mine that was relatively clean and un hacked. Although my car is still going to be occasionally street driven i feel like I can relate some ways to you build. I do my work in my friend's garage where i now keep my MAC tool box and what not. If i had my own garage i would do a full tear down and then clean and repaint stuff and reassemble with the needed stuff.
If you have a tow rig and are willing to designate your talon for track use only you can get rid of a lot more stuff which will save you weight which will go faster easier. IE: run exhaust out of bumper and drop the heavy exhaust, you can cut a lot of metal out of the car including from the wheel wells, run only one light weight race seat, no heat ac or ducting, no stereo etc, light weight wheels and tires and anywhere you can save rotational mass. I think you have a great layout plan of what to do and with the right parts, tunning, and driving you can do it. Like said before, there is tons of info to research through this site so $ is usualy the biggest set back for those that are not too lazy to finish their projects. Good luck and lots of updates with pics please. I probably speak for many of us when i say that these project builds give me motivation to do more work to my street car. I'm only working Part time so $ keeps me for progressing as much as i like. Also i'm married and the wife does require me to spend a lot of time that would other wise would be with the car, but i am happily married and wouldn't have the car with out her support. Good luck and update us!

I can offer real good advice on these things. First off what you want to accomplish can't be done in one year for the next SO. Second don't set dates, there is no point, do what you want to do, do it right, and when it is done, it is done. Third, you have to have a budget set, you say TBD, not good enough. You have to say okay I am looking at spending at least 15-20K for a 9 sec dsm... yea there is a lot of POS junkers out there that go fast, but if you want to do it right plan for at least those amounts. Built motor 3-5K shep tans and goodies 3k, turbo set up 2k, FMIC 1k, paint 3-5k the list goes on and on, suspensions, tires, wheels, ect. Last, make sure you have a place you keep this vehicle with lots of extra room for parts and makes sure you won't have to move it. If you answered No to any of these things, just put a 16g on it and have fun, projects are frustrating, time consuming, money pits, hence the reason there is a new "project part out" on the trader every other day. If this sounds like fun....:thumb:

Later Dr Turbo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back