The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Street Build project second chance panda

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
I'm calling this build project second chance because after my health got so bad two years ago that I almost ded, and my 2g was hit by a semi on the quarter panel I figured I wasbeing forced out of the DSM game, but by getting this complete running car with the money from parting out my totaled 2gb I still have the complete running engine, fule system, stand alone ECU that with a little trans work i'll be back to piloting a 500+ AWHP DSM daily on the streets (something I have been horribly depressed without itin my life LOL )

Also, if anyone can use ANY part you see left onthe2g, no reasonable offer will be refused, I'd rther a DSMer get the parts before the junk yrd or scrapper but sincei have no where to keep it I have to have itgone by this coming Friday

Here's pics of the old babyand the new second chnce shell for thedriveline....I call it the second chance panda because the first thingsi'm doing are ripping the engine trans out, tucking the engine bay, freshening up the non shifting trans and paintint it panda black and white (y favorite DSM's)

I just got it home tonight, will update daily

ALso, this is the most Unmolested 1g engine harness ive ever seen but it's coming out with the ECu so I can install my stand alone with the new harness I have forit, s if anyone wants the ECU and harness, please don't let this go to waste and buy it.

Attachments

• 20160617_120102.jpg
    20160617_120102.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160617_120106.jpg
    20160617_120106.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 205
  • 20160618_193936.jpg
    20160618_193936.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 172
I'm calling this build project second chance because after my health got so bad two years ago that I almost ded, and my 2g was hit by a semi on the quarter panel I figured I wasbeing forced out of the DSM game, but by getting this complete running car with the money from parting out my totaled 2gb I still have the complete running engine, fule system, stand alone ECU that with a little trans work i'll be back to piloting a 500+ AWHP DSM daily on the streets (something I have been horribly depressed without itin my life LOL )

Also, if anyone can use ANY part you see left onthe2g, no reasonable offer will be refused, I'd rther a DSMer get the parts before the junk yrd or scrapper but sincei have no where to keep it I have to have itgone by this coming Friday

Here's pics of the old babyand the new second chnce shell for thedriveline....I call it the second chance panda because the first thingsi'm doing are ripping the engine trans out, tucking the engine bay, freshening up the non shifting trans and paintint it panda black and white (y favorite DSM's)

I just got it home tonight, will update daily

ALso, this is the most Unmolested 1g engine harness ive ever seen but it's coming out with the ECu so I can install my stand alone with the new harness I have forit, s if anyone wants the ECU and harness, please don't let this go to waste and buy it.
Glad to see you getting back in the game, can't wait to see what's in store

it's a 1991 GSX, although its a 3 bolt rear there's a sticker in the door stating that it is indeed a LSD differential ( I didn't know they had LSD in the 3 bolt variant)

And although I know they aren't highly reg uarded here, it has fairly new Megan coil overs on it, as well as 2G GSX front calipers with slotted rotors and stainless steel brake lines installed. (the calipers and rotors are going to need treated to bead blasting and painting, as you can tell they've been sitting a LOOOng time LOL )

It also has an EIII 16G that's in great shape along with a Megan SS O2 housing (both os these are for sale as of m typing this if anyone want's them)

I started pulling, sanding and painting the wheels because I just couldn't hadlle rims looking as beat up as these were.

here's some pics
DSCF1344.JPG
DSCF1346.JPG
DSCF1357.JPG
DSCF1358.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1359.JPG
    DSCF1359.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1360.JPG
    DSCF1360.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 87
  • 20160619_003816.jpg
    20160619_003816.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20160619_003826.jpg
    20160619_003826.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 106
well tha'tt twice tonight I lost everything I typed due to an evrsesitie netbook jumping back and forth through pages on the web LOL

anyway, the FAST best and Worsts othe day

Best... bult a 2 x 255HP in tank setup that's two -6 feeds running from the pumps to out f the tank, they Y together after the lines turn down the front of the gas tank... one pumps unpowered for the moment and theone that's running I'm ng a -6 to metric flate fitting to tie into the OEM lines so I can move the car around to work onor get oter things in and out of the garage until I have the 2g shell gone and can pull the !g engine , gut and tuck the engine bay, install my fuel system, other goodies and my engine
now for the BAD...the trans about onpar with old international scout I drove on some powerlines once and it had a non-synchro tranny that waws beat,,, I can barely manage ANY shifts withougrinding, but I also attribute that to the shifter which has the "pull all the bushings out and cl it stage one weight reduction" (idiota)

I reallywanted an auto, but unless some one ends up wanting to trade me a full auto setup or my full manual one, I guess I'm stucjk, saying a prayer through every third gear pull an hoping I have the money and patience to keep tryuing to keep another 5 speed on the roa daily at 500+ HP (I went through three, istalled the fourth one I'm selling now all in the moneth of august a couple years back LOL thanksfully Tim at TMZ sold me good parts adngave me invaluable knowledge for putting that onetogether to last ... Ijust hope I can do this onebefore a genade it beyond repair as soon as I start dialing in the tune onthis car (repeated third gear pulls have been the cause oevery tranny I've ver shattered)

this thing is quickly proving to be in way worse shape than I thought it was..... tonight I worked on trying to improve the shifting by adusting the clutch rod, bleeding the clutch and adjusting the shifter cables...NONE of it helped,, this thing wont go into second at any RPM without grinding, yet when I do the test of nudging the shifter towards the gears while idling with the clutch out,none of them grind, it blcks me out of every single gear...WHAT GIVES?

money, is running short, hoping i'll still be able to paint her, but we'll see

the previouse owner said he thought ithad a 6 puck in it but yesterday while testdriving after fixing a dead injector, I noticed the clutch was slipping in 3rd and I hadn't even launched or heated itup..and that's on a stock ecu, stock EVERYTHING but with an e3 16g at 15 lbs.... SAD

the trans is killing me though, I don't evren wanna drive it the way it is..you can't even downshift into second at any speed without severe grinding... I Sooooo wish I could swap it to auto,but no way can I afford a rear diff,t case and trans, + shift box/ trans freshening and so on. but after having a good amount og my tools stolen from my storage the day after I left Omaha I no longer have a press to even work on this manual box.

I think it's time for full coverage and a trip down to the river LOL

small update, been sick as hell, in hospital part of the time, just got out an last two nights worked on her after the sun went down.

The trans is ready to pull (one bellhousing bolt) then i'll pull the engine since there's more room after the tranny is out.

Small issue I ran into is there's no room for my FMIC from the 2g to fitthis car it's justWAY too big.. so unless I want to pin my hood down, remove the entire bumper support center and cut up the PS cooler line im going to temporarily do something I tested years ago to get me by.. That's runningno intercooler and just some meth injection for cooling, this won't be my everyday daily driver so if I spray enough I think i'll be ok especially since I'm on e85 these day.

here's a couple pics...hopefully I getthe engine out tomorrow as well and start pulling the harness as some one wanted it and and I need to wirethe stand alone into the bay.

sorry the pic is bad, I had grease on the camera lense as usuall when using the phone
20160708_234524.jpg

small update, I've been sick as a dog for almost two weeks, in the hospital for some of it, but I'm intercooler from the2g out and feeling a little better and last night and today worked on it some after the sun went down and things cooled off..

I've gotthe trans ready to drop out, justone bell housing bolt left holding it on, then once t's free i'll pull the engine since there's a little more room doing them separate..

I realized my FMIC from the 2g is WAY too large to fit on the1g without removing a ton of things I consider somewhat vital for a daily driven car (hood latch, PS cooler, the complete front bumper support) I don't mind modding them but this core is so large I would have to Pin my hood, relocate the PS line, and remove the complete center

20160709_130316.jpg
20160709_130320.jpg
20160709_113718.jpg
20160709_122503.jpg
20160709_113718.jpg
20160709_163630.jpg
20160709_130559.jpg
got TONS done today... old engine and trans out, new engine in, fuel system ran and plumbed, and byuilt a patch loom to run the stand alone through the OEM wiring harness... I was going to strip the entire bay and run just the stand alone harness but as more and more aspects of the uild pop up withtheir own suprising new costs and time investments many of the things I had planned to do all at once are now going to be done in stages, and to be honest I'm damn anxiouse to have a awd DSM on the streets again this summer so I don't mind putting a few things off until later (mainly appearances mods and paint) but that just keeps her sleeper, and I likethat anyway. I just wish she was AUTO! I been dying to play with an auto dsm for several years now but again it's something that just hasn't fit the budget. But this trans is toast (or at least the 1-2 synchro is basically non-existant, I only hope I have time and money to pull it apart, replace some synchros and shim the thing to hold some power so it doesn't fly apart the first week I get to go play with it on the streeets.

I replaced all of the O-rings at every A/C componenet junction hoping to solve myleak, (I think I still need tokeep looking although it is holding vacuum longer now and vacuuming down further) BUt being the guy I am I will NOT own a car that doens'thave working AC that can make you feel like you just plopped down in 4 feet of snow on a hot day :D

Here's a few pics for everyone......all of this was done between 9pm and 2AM last night and picked back up at 7am this morning and am finally calling it a day due tio back pain at 5pm

the fuel system is parallel 255's (the HP version) each has it's own outlet out of the tank then they merge together with a Y coupling that takes the two -6AN fittings and comes out as one -8, but I use a reducer and go back down to -6 line all the way to the rail (no need for 8 at this point o probably ever with my goals) Running a fuel lap filter and a aeromotive AFPR on the firewall, spitting through RC engineering 1600cc injectors (really wanting to step back down to 1000's or so, I never some close to maxing these out and I'm happy with where my power is)
I think I mentioned yesterday that due to space constraints in the 1g bumper area, I'm going to have to leave my FMIC sit in the garage andjust run methanol tocool the charge.. I am kinda excited to play wtiht that again and work the tune more than my previouse experiment,, I wil be installing the Nitrous but probably not using it, unless absolutely needed or I get a good dare, but with a 3 bolt rear end I'm kinda scared of things flying apart.

Last edited:
Another day of getting a shit ton accomplished on the dsm. Finished bolting the engine in, installed, sorted and finished the entire ECU and knock monitoring systems installed so the engine should fire right up.. (had some issues to sort out with the MPI relay and some grounds from having the battery in the trunk, but got er finished). I also finished pulling the pedal assembly out to fix the worn clutch pedal and reinstalled it and the rest of the column and interior. Th...en I said f*** it, I don't have the money for a better clutch or to rebuild the trans right now, so I might as well put them in too.. and I did LOL...

Only thing left are to install the transfer case, bolt up the driver side half shaft and install the starter.
I still have to build intercooler piping, wire a MAP and IAT sensors for the speed density setup, but I honestly can't believe how frickin close I really am to having it back together!!

The one problem I now have to address is that the t-netics header and tial wastegate location are keeping the hood from closing, so I hopefully can just removing some of the bracing under the hood to solve that, or I might say f*** it and break out the plasma cutter. :)

Oh... And the one other thing to actually make it streetable is to fab a 2 foot piece of pipe to join the down pipe too the rest of the exhaust. Then I can test drive it. Woo woo!!!!
Here's a few pics

OH, and I need to straighten the steering wheel from having the column out and not having wheels or tie rods hooked up when I reinstalled it to make sure I was making it sit correctly LOL no biggie

13606598_1024292184318937_7877127732263451642_n.jpg
13626352_1024292197652269_2759671092888182399_n.jpg
13631609_1024292217652267_1522187677906393037_n.jpg

Well it will be more like a "lack of intercooler piping" since my core is too large for the cars under bumper area. So it all be straight from turbo outlet to TB elbow with a meth nozzle pre and post turbo.

Just test started the car and everything is good:)

Miss to come later today

20160722_041749.jpg
20160722_041758.jpg
20160722_041859.jpg
Well, she's ready for plates and insurance :) Then I can sort the last things out based on how she feels and what the tune requires.

Being as the list of things I've done has gown very lengthy, I'll just stay with a list of what's still wrong or needed. The A/c condenser has a small hole and needs replaced, but the compressor and lines have been upgraded to the factory 2g stuff from my old car.

It still needs tuned for sure, I haven't ran meth in years, and now I have no choice but to squeeze everything I can from its use. But I hope to either cram my FMIC in there some how or get a core that will perform about the same and week be easier to fit on a 1g.

The cruise control has been giving me issues refusing to set and hold a speed except one yesterday, but in hoping the next test drive had it back up and going line it should.

I need to build an AMP rack to mount things to and clean up the hatch area, and eventually I do want to paint the entire car, I think in going to start by painting the hood, spoiler, mirrors, and roof area over the next couple weeks, then start piecing the white together by sectioning off and spraying areas as I prep them from back to front, then when I can afford the trans build and clutch disk replacement, I'll empty the bay and spray that area to finish it up. Being that I'm just using a really brite white base/clear I'll be able to wet sand and buff the car to match well enough for an insurance company.

A couple immediate things I need to take care of are filling the carrier bearings and putting solid roll stops in the engine mounts, the engine moves a lot and the driveshaft kicks the floor as if to say "don't forget it's a measly 3 bolt back here" LOL

Also need to install my external oil cooler instead of having the lines looped. Oh and I can't forget an amp and a sub for the rear, but those will come with the amp rack build.

I've got a couple novelty ideas in going to play with in the dash, one being that I'm going to illuminate the "power" lamp when the short runners of the cyclone are open, and have the"economy" light on when the long runners are being used. As well as an indicator for meth injection being active and using the boost guage as way to keep track of how full/ empty the alky tank is.

Well enough jibber jabber , on with the pics

Well damn, most my pics are too large to upload, I'll resnap them in less resolution and update the post shortly
20160722_110622.jpg
20160722_110635.jpg
20160722_110651.jpg

Last edited:
I remember when you talked about it a few years ago and I'm glad your health is better. Coming for one person who has battled heath problems to another, I'm glad you're still here. Car looks great too man. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks for the support, I'm always pleased when I see old face(screen names) when I'm on these days, I rememberthis was like a home to me on tuners and it's changed Soooo much its crazy..

I like the 1g but it seems no matter how I clean it it looks old and aged, even the engine bay pics make it look a lot worse than I think it looks in person, so I've gotto figure something out to get the shineonher LOL Maybe I just miss that old 2g of mine more than I think :)

Just this morning I had the thought of instead of making this a white/black panda car, of actually getting the paint code (p88) from my 2g and painting this one to match it, almost seems more fitting and I loved that color

I still have to sort out why my boost control isn't controlling boost LOL, get somee85 in the tank, and start working on the tune.

I got the cruise control working again today, I've come to the conclusion that thestalk switch is shot,, when it wasn't working I beat on the stalk and suddenly I haad cruise again LOL

I have to say I love just being out working on a DSM again, butg I'm sure the driving addiction will bite hard again oncei sort the tuneout and the other little things

Well, I've thought myself into a dilemma, what color to paint her? I originally wanted a white/Black panda scheme, but looking through some pics to decide on painting the spoiler black or not I started noticing a lot of bright red 1g's that were just beautiful, even saw one in gun metal grey that I loved, but at this point I think I could use some help... Do I go

White/Black like this
whiteBLK.jpg

Or with a Red/Black like this one...

badassRED.jpg

I even found a thread where I a guy went the color I mentioned earlier (same as my 2g was) but couldn't find a pic of it finished... here's a pic of that

doesn't pop as uch as regular old red does though IMO
P88color.jpg

Anyway, some help deciding, even though I have to live with it LOL

But at this point that second pic of the red car with black wheels is making me drool, plus going from bburgandy to red won't be as large of a change as going from burgundy to white.....

I've decided on the red and black, does anyone know if that car is a factory red or some other red?

I started priming the hood and mirrors since they were in bad shape I just wish I had cash to go ahead and prime the entire car. Plus is Been so damn hot here I haven't been able to stand being outside to work on it.

Anyone know if I have to pull the driveshaft to fill the carrier bearings. Our can I just undo the bearings themselves?

I have to say, I thought is be ok with no intercooler, and although I haven't driven it to know one way out the other, I just miss having that big Ole core up front.
20160722_171902.jpg
20160722_171841.jpg
20160722_131936.jpg
20160722_110635.jpg

Time for an update. Took the car out today and one of the fuel pumps melted in the tank (scary) once i got it back i took to making the a/c work. The 1g condenser was trash, and so was it's compressor, so I've finally finished retrofitting the 2g comp, cond. Barrier hoses, and made custom lines to fit this to the 1g parts without having to modify or damage them, so the system can be put to 100% oem easily if needed. Pics
20160815_223908.jpg
20160815_223915.jpg
20160815_225606.jpg
20160815_232503.jpg
20160815_233231.jpg

Wroth so much of the system now being originally designed for r134a, in theory the system should perform very well, or at least better than the original setup just being charged with r134a since it was designed for r12

Woooohoooo, the system vacuums down and holds beautifully! I'm very excited to get the last set back taken care of so i can concentrate on getting her plated and insured.

I'm surprised how well the custom lines and 2g condenser fit, it was almost like it was meant to be.

Now i just need to find a new receiver/drier to toss on her tomorrow and i can start dumping in the refrigerant! I can't wait, i really hope in not let down by a last minute failure of some sort, but to the best of my ability the system should be solid.

Then i can focus on finding a decent FMIC core that someone is willing to trade for mine since I'd have to ditch the hood latch to make it fit on this car. I'm hoping the alky injection will suffice for the time being.
20160816_005937.jpg
20160816_011748.jpg

In the air conditioning works perfectly. There was one tiny pinhole in a weld I had to fix then I pulled another vacuum put oil in and charge the system and she works great

Now as I am to my word it's time to start getting money together to put plates and insurance on this girl because I said it would have to have air conditioning before I drove it and now it has it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back