The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project:97 GSX 10 second street car!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to throw a quick update on here. I've got packages coming practically every day now LOL. This is gonna be a good season, I feel it. Got a little work done today as it was 69 degrees out and amazing! Don't really have time to write up another installment right now but it'll get here. I'm hoping to attend an event on April 28th in Mentor Ohio.

August 2012: My FP manifold started this strange corrosion issue through the ceramic. I was able to contact the guys at FFWDconnection and they were awesome about it. Said this shouldn't have happened and I believe that. They coated my turbo hotside at the same time as my manifold and it still looks flawless. Anyway, Darren hooked me up by redoing it FREE of charge no questions asked. Even got upgraded. IMO the manifold looks better than before.

Here is where it started rusting through:
2012-07-13_22-41-38_914.jpg

2012-06-25_18-42-39_570.jpg

My manifold redone and looking beautiful:
2012-08-01_23-45-43_204.jpg

On the inside:
2012-08-01_23-45-57_797.jpg

I decided to go with a -6an tank to rail feed line and needed my sending unit modified. After asking around I was advised to go with Brian Erb at Erbifiedmotorsports.com I reviewed some of his work and was sold. Sent it off and hat my fitting welded on.
2012-08-10_21-24-29_319.jpg

Last weekend I still hadn't gotten my Fuel lab fuel filter but I decided to install what I had.
2012-08-10_21-23-37_403.jpg

The fuel pump I decided to go with was the new Walbro 450LPH. I wanted to go this big because I'm running straight E85 and I never want to upgrade it again. Also went with the FIC 2150's pictured for the same reason. It took a lot of reading and asking questions but I'm confident in how I got it put together.

First, the harness attached does not plug into the 2G harness. With the install kit they send (extra) is a harness clip pigtail. I simply used the connectors they supplied. A tip from Sean485 on this board, I staggered the connectors because in the event that E85 eats away the coating around the connectors, live wires will not be able to touch each other. I don't have a pic of it, but here is before I changed that.
2012-08-14_22-18-56_647.jpg

I picked up some fuel safe o-rings from Autozone and used two to seat the fuel pump into the factory port. I took the rubber grommet that was originally at the bottom of my Walbro 255 and cut it in half at the mold line. I had to slot the hole in the lower bracket as the 450 is just slightly taller the way it sits.
2012-08-16_22-47-28_497.jpg

I did the siphon mod and the rest is self explanatory. Finished product:
2012-08-16_23-05-57_558.jpg

Next I ran the line. I've gotta say, the Russell pro classic line is by far the easiest braided line I've ever worked with. I cut it with a razor knife with no fraying or tape needed. The fittings went on flawlessly and don't leak at all.
2012-08-18_01-40-01_143.jpg

2012-08-18_01-40-25_318.jpg

After several emails to STM they overnighted me a Fuel Lab filter the day before the shootout :mad::rolleyes:. Here it is installed.
2012-08-18_01-37-00_901.jpg

To the rail:
2012-08-18_01-36-51_63.jpg

I don't have any pics but I decided to put all the A/C componets back at the same time. Let me clarify that I didn't remove them to start with, it was like that when I got the car. My brother picked up a TSI with all the parts and Ice cold A/C and he is crazy enough to not want it. Lucky me! :D

Next I built a custom oil drain for my Holset. I didn't like the way my -10an kit kinked up and it is highly recommended by many that it is too small to begin with. I used part of a factory Holset drain line, basically the flange and 1.5 inches of tube. I bought a foot (way too much) of 3/4 oil resistant pushlock line and part of the factory 2G drain.

Old kinked unit:
IMG_20120818_080239.jpg

Here is the final outcome which IMO will be perfectly sufficient for evacuating enough oil.
2012-08-18_01-37-36_396.jpg

I changed the oil to some lovely Brad Penn 10w-40. That stuff is green! and fired her up. As of now, the car seems to run very well. Lifter tick is even quieter.

March 2013:
Well it has been cold here, and haven't been too motivated to work on my car. Been waiting on a couple of parts to come in and I've really only done destruction LOL.

So after talking with my tuner, we decided that a TS setup would help me reach my goals a lot sooner and easier. I contacted Punishement Racing and they hooked me up. Sent them my turbine housing and they built me a TS to suit my needs. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

IMAG0077_zps689a159a.jpg

2013-01-04_16-38-31_41.jpg

2013-01-04_16-38-44_950.jpg

Part of that destruction I talked about earlier, I removed my intake manifold (along with a bunch of other crap) only to find some nice E85 goop build up :mad:. From now on, it's 93 every couple of tanks to clean things out.

IMAG0033_zpse5b7826c.jpg

IMAG0031_zps79e4d985.jpg

This is a video showing all 4 ports really well:
th_VIDEO0008_zpsd655abc3.jpg

Also found my knock sensor to be going bad. Figure I may as well change it while it is relatively easy to get to.
IMAG0047_zpsb0ee6eb3.jpg

Oh yeah, we also decided that my stock 2G intake and TB are going to choke my turbo since we are already dropping VE at 30PSI. So I found me a good deal on a JMF street.

2013-01-15_19-16-53_884.jpg

She is a little scratched up, but the deal was so sweet, I figure I'll just get it powder coated. Probably going to settle on wrinkle black

I got the old turbo setup off, the intake manifold off (biggest pain ever) and the car is up on 4 stands at the moment.
IMAG0036_zps0cd343ec.jpg

I have decided to drill and tap to plug my EGR hole and here I did a practice job on my spare head. Any one know if you can drill too deep? I noticed the hole does curve and I don't want to screw the head up on my car. It seems like you have to drill pretty deep to get the tap to go in deep enough.

2013-01-15_19-20-26_874.jpg

Unrelated from a performance stand point, but I am going with a forward facing oil filter housing. This also deletes the stupid water cooler.

2013-01-26_23-13-53_951-1.jpg

This is the one FFWD offers with custom fittings so I can keep my dummy light and factory gauge and has a feet port. But I'm gonna hook up my AEM oil pressure gauge and forget about the stocker.

This is how she is sitting right now:
IMAG0035_zps2d3315e1.jpg

I've got the rear suspension torn down in favor of poly bushings going in. Still debating having everything powder coated while it is out or just say screw that. Also will finally be installing my Evo X calipers and hoping they will work with my wheels and spacers. Otherwise, who knows when I'll be on the street again. Thanks for watching.

April 16th 2013:

Houston we have progress! Yeah, I've been lazy all winter and not gotten much done. Since it warmed up I've been back at it. Although there is rarely ever a week where I put in less than 50 hours at work so I'm usually pretty beat down. No excuses! Time to get her going.

I had my JMF PC since it was all scratched up and I was too lazy to polish it. For $15 more I had the fuel rail done. Turned out 15x better than I expected.
IMAG0108_zps603e821f.jpg

IMAG0112_zps6c10e876.jpg

I got my VC done finally at Detective Coatings. Look them up, they do phenomenal work! Welded -10an fittings and new baffles underneath.
575832_413906198705708_1138737120_n_zps18ce9d67.jpg

Some better shots of my PR twin scroll manifold. Thing is beautiful.
IMAG0066_zps74e303d3.jpg

IMAG0068_zps35c785d2.jpg

I wish I could weld.
IMAG0069_zps0f366e03.jpg

I tackled the suspension finally. What a pain seriously. I wouldn't recommend anybody try and tackle the Prothane install, it sucked LOL. I even had a 20 ton press but with the odd shape of almost every suspension part I was unable to use it or it would cause more damage. My best friend was a torch, sawzall and a punch.

IMAG0135_zps64b9cab2.jpg

IMAG0130_zps7a130d56.jpg

Eventually knocked it all out, painted up the parts really quick and started the install.

Also finally able to get my Brembos installed! WOOT! In case you have never tackled this before, I highly recommend using Evo 8/9 calipers. The ones I used are from an X which utilizes a much taller caliper in the front and the rears are NOT direct bolt on. I had to oblong the rear mounting holes to get them to line up, so much so that I'm no longer able to get a socket over the bolts to tighten them down. I had to special order m12x1.5x25mm allen head cap screws from Fastenal (still waiting on them).

Note: Because of the Ebrake, you still have to use Evo8/9 rotors in the rear. So I picked up Powerslot Evo X front rotors 13.1" I believe and Powerslot Evo 8/9 rear rotors. The 2G dsm brake lines swap right over, but I installed my SS lines as well.

Picture time:
IMAG0157_zps88123cca.jpg

All of that shiny new in there and then those struts just look like crap. OMG

Here is showing the clearance of my 18's on the rear calipers. You can see there is plenty of room. The fronts however, not so much. I haven't gotten them bolted down yet but I'm probably for sure going to have to run a spacer if I can even use these wheels at all.

IMAG0158_zps129cc89b.jpg

But that is ok, because a guy finally came through in Ohio with some affordable Evo X wheels! I've seriously been looking for over a year. All these crazy Evo owners wanted $1000+!OMGOMG I went a picked these up in Akron and they are gonna look great I think PC black eventually. I'm going to rock the stock color for a while though as I am low on funds.
IMAG0145_zps4414c5fe.jpg

Look at those tiny stock fronts haha.

IMAG0159_zpsd05b282a.jpg

I would like some input on tires? I need something streetable, doesn't need to be used in winter and decently sticky at the track. I am leaning towards Nitto Neogens 245/40/18 unless somebody thinks otherwise?

I picked up some Kelford 272's.
IMAG0084_zpsbb215a14.jpg

Lastly, after much research, I picked up a 3G master and brake booster. People were reporting a spongy feeling utilizing Evo Brembos and 2G factory systems. This thing is a direct bolt up, just have to custom one line. I chose to replace that line with a SS braded -3 and proper fittings.

fd04_12_zps225cc457.jpg

I love how the reservoir sits directly on the master and is secure with no clearance issues.

Things I don't have pictures of that are also going on.
-Evo 8 valve springs & retainers
-Topline revised lifters
-Stoptech Evo X brake pads ( I hear they are the quietest)
-My new knock sensor is in and I already cleaned up that E85 goop.
-Frontline Fabrications catch can setup and I sent him my FP intake to have a fitting welded.

Well that is all for now.

Very thorough and spot on build, keep up the good work! Inspiring for sure.

Very thorough and spot on build, keep up the good work! Inspiring for sure.

Hey thanks for reading it! I'm glad you liked it. If I only inspire one persons build, that is enough for it to be worth it to me. I still have a bunch of stuff to update. Stay tuned.

awesome build!! i wish my talon was haft as good looking and performing as yours!! good luck and i am hooked on this build. amazing progress!! cant wait to see more!!

Doing a heck of a job. Paying good attention to detail and being persistent with the process. If only we all kept that same motivation there would be a lot more dsm's on the scene. Great work

I really appreciate the comments everybody.

So here is my CC and intake back from Frontline Fabrication.
facebook_712453311jpg_zps6eab88bf.jpg

April 2013 update:

I'm shooting for an all around street car that is also fast. Not the type to gut it and drag it only. I like my luxuries, and while I can claim that these brakes are an upgrade (because they really are) it is also like 60% a cosmetic upgrade. :p

Update: The bad news is, that my black 18's do not come close to clearing in the front. Once everything was bolted on, I would probably need a massive spacer like 1/2 inch or something crazy, longer wheels studs which would make the wheels stick out and cause extra wear on my bearings. :(

But that's ok because I have my Evo X wheels ready to go on!

IMAG0164_zps86577418.jpg

Weird angle
IMAG0166_zpsac1ee109.jpg

IMAG0167_zpse989c0ac.jpg

I didn't seem to get any feedback on tires from anybody anywhere. The Evo forums are mostly about autocross and there are just too many options. In the end, I decided on BFGoodrich Gforce KDW2's. I met a guy with an Audi TT struting a 64mm turbo who swears by them. Hope they make for a good street tire and hook at the drag strip.

IMG95201305019513582795022_zpsc949dbf8.jpg

Wow, it has been a couple of months since I updated this thing. I'm probably skipping a bunch of stuff but here is some recent stuff.

July 2013:

I needed a 1 piece upper intercooler pipe made. Crazy shops close to me want $225-300 just to cut and weld my own pipes together. I recently discovered that my PR radiator will not even come close to clearing my PR TS manifold. The top water pipe literally hits the far left runner.

So I was at a stand still. couldn't drive the car to get the intercooler piping fixed without an intercooler pipe LOL. Can't even attempt to limp it somewhere close because no radiator.

New tires mounted up:
IMAG0186_zps19a4df36.jpg

IMAG0299_zps0e1d0414.jpg

Literally first timing job I've ever attempted. Had to redo it after installing my K272's:

IMAG0238_zps11678949.jpg

IMAG0239_zpsacbc6ad1.jpg

IMAG0241_zpsbb8dd9e9.jpg

IMAG0244_zps99643375.jpg

This part is actually embarrassing OMG. Literally the only thing I could find to basically "ghetto rig" my piping to make the car drive able. Good thing I'm running SD. Still can't move her without a radiator :( :(

IMAG0306_zpsc4e772ae.jpg

I cut off the flange side and added a long coupler.

In the end though, it worked out for the best. I was lucky enough to find a really good Tig welder through a friend of mine. I decided to quit being a wuss and fab the piping myself then just take it to him. I think it came out perfectly.

My fabbed up pipe with markings for welds.
IMAG0311_zps1331181d.jpg

IMAG0310_zps16f6a7f1.jpg

After he finished it, even before I cleaned it up. Radiator too was modified.

IMG952013071095173843_zps7078a3c0.jpg

I've got more to add but time to go to sleep. Til then, thanks for reading!! :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back