The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pre-track 14b dyno session...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1320

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Guys-I figured it more appropriate to post this info here since it is really not about any tuning techniques and such. Just to update, last year, I put down 284.7hp and 271tq best at about 21 psi.......14b turbo.

Since then I have fixed some exhaust leaks, the set-up has not changed otherwise.

The baseline pull was 273.4hp and 257tq at 17psi. Before I go further, this is running VP C16 and is on a Dynopack AWD dyno set-up. These read LOWER than dynojets, and are said to be more accurate, especially when it somes to torque numbers. I have a 2G MAF, 550cc injectors and an AFC2 for tuning, that's it.

In the interest of time I'll pretty much cut to the chase.......I made about 10-15 pulls, some tuning at held RPM rather than just making pulls and tuning.

The numbers rose from the baseline pull fairly quickly...at 19psi the car put down 288-293 hp.

I finally settled at about 22.5 psi, I am stilll on a modified stock sidemount with 2.25" in/out. Anything above that PSI and horsepower came down about 3-5.

Last note and I'll give the final number. A/F is not optimum at this point, there is some more smoothing out to do for sure...is it worth any more HP? Who knows :confused: Last, boost would would stay above 22psi until 5100rpm where it would drop to 20psi at about 5750rpm and then continue to drop to 18psi on the nose at 6700rpm and then a gradual climb to almost 19psi by 7400 where I cut it off.

So, at a max boost of 22.68 psi at 4750 rpm the final best number was 300.7 HP at 5600rpm with 308.3 lb-ft. at 3800rpm :thumb: From 3800 to 4800 torque is pretty flat, the baseline pull had a huge dip in the curve. The torque comes under 280 lb-ft. at 5550rpm and proceeds to taper from there. The HP curve is almost flat between 5000-6000rpm and is above 280hp until 6500rpm and comes under 260hp at 6800rpm.

So, I guess fixing those leaks helped a bunch, and some new tuning didn't hurt..hehe. I guess the 14b's like to settle around 18psi after sustained high boost, it seems everyone has this problem, it must be the nature of the beast. I did three very quick passes back to back to see how bad the SMIC soaks----it soaks, lost 10 hp on the second pull and about 20 on the third. Can you say FMIC in the near future?

So...........284.7 HP last year to 300.7 this year-gain= 16 HP
271.0 TQ last year to 308.3 this year-gain= 37.3 lb-ft.

And there is definitely more left...it's a matter of dyno time. I can not say how happy I am with these numbers, I'm truly psyched. Now, I just have to do something with them :D this coming Friday. The power is there!

Wutcha think guys???

Phil1320

That is pretty impressive, thats why people should not really rush to buy a 16 or a 20 because I am doing 250 on a 14b. Clearly I see I can get more out of my turbo and when my car was tuned it was dyno-tuned with the mas so with an afc I know I can do better.

Nice. 16hp is pretty good on a small turbo for just fixing some leaks :thumb: but almost 40 lbs more torque...damn, very nice gain.

Definitly an 11 second car now ;)

I appreciate it........................and, yes, I would hope that it is and has been an 11 second car, but, I can't say that yet............I'll do my best, that's all I can say.

Phil1320 :thumb:

Thanks! The last dyno was about 2 years back on a dynojet. At 21 psi, the car put down 295 HP and 337 TQ.....I haven't dynoed since. The car ran [email protected] Oct. 2009.

Very nice! Mr. peepers made 306whp and 312wtq on the 14b, 2g mas 1000cc injectors, side mount and a safc on e85 if I remember correctly. Very impressive! There just something about going fast but yet still have the ability to say your on the stock turbo! :)

Very nice! Mr. peepers made 306whp and 312wtq on the 14b, 2g mas 1000cc injectors, side mount and a safc on e85 if I remember correctly. Very impressive! There just something about going fast but yet still have the ability to say your on the stock turbo! :)

Thanks! I don't think it's too shabby considering it's the original engine with 100% stock internals(balance shafts still intact) with 80,000 miles on the clock. The engine could probably use a re-fresh but I pretty much plan to run it until something such as blowing the original head gasket happens. However, I may switch the cams out and do the balance shaft removal finally.

Nice, this is one of the reasons I've stuck with my 14b. I already have a supra side mount just need fuel mods so I can up the boost. I wonder what you could do on pump gas, any logs to show knock?

Is this on the stock 6cm housing or a 7?

Correct.

Not sure about a pump gas number....won't know that until I go roadracing, as the car is no longer run on the street. As long as it's a drag car, which may not me much longer at all, it will always be on VP C16.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back