The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Kiggly Racing Old Beat Up Parts Dyno Session

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiggly

Supporting Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I recently dug the trailer out from under the snow and dragged the race car to the local dynojet for a few pulls on the tired old motor. This is the same engine that has been in it all last season and it has absolutely terrible blowby. The top ring doesn’t seal until the piston is about ½” down the cylinder, so I’m sure that hurts power. The only change since the 8.55 pass is a different intake cam that has higher lift (14mm) and is a MIVEC cam so I can make timing adjustments on the fly. Duration is very similar.

A couple things to note for all these pulls – this car is an auto and that is an additional 15-18% loss compared to the 5-spd, all pulls above 40psi were at 11.1-11.3:1 AFR’s, timing is just over 10deg.

As the tune was getting sorted out the first stable-boost pull was 34psi and 647whp. The next pull at 41psi the car bounced a little on the rollers and it peaked at 735whp, but a more realistic call would be more like 720whp. The next pull was at 45psi and it delivered 751whp peaking at about 8000rpm just as it got on the converter, then falling to about 650-660whp at 8800rpm. These pulls were with the intake cam adjusted the same as the way it ran the 8.55 pass with 43psi boost.

About 720whp
Pull 751whp

Backpressure at 45psi was about 34psi and turbo speed was about 103,000rpm. This is a 74mm BW turbo with a 1.25AR turbine housing. I was really happy to see I was still in the turbo map and there is room to grow.

A couple pulls and some cam timing tuning later boost was down to 42.5psi. Peak power was 784whp at about 8400rpm and held to about 720-730whp at 8700rpm. I was VERY happy to see this. Next pull repeated the 784whp number, but something went wrong at about 8300rpm.

Pull 784whp

We chased this stupid misfire for the next few pulls, eventually changing back to exactly how it made the 784whp but with fresh plugs at a smaller gap. After it didn’t run clean there, we gave up and pulled it off the rollers. The misfire turned out to be a vacuum hose off the BOV feed, nothing was actually hurt.

It is really good to see there was some potential left in the old parts combo. The new parts for next season should make a bunch more power. Here is video of a couple pulls. Right-click, save as:

Dyno Video

Kevin

Nice pulls.Very impressive considering that old motor.

Can you elaborate on the MIVEC cam and how it is operating?

+1 to that, i have an old MIVEC cam that came from a JDM motor and it would be nice if there was something i could do with it.... if it would be any better than the 264 intake or 272 exh cam i have now it would be nice to get a free upgrade for once :D

The MIVEC setup is all sorts of custom. It requires machining the head and changing oiling holes, external plumbing for the spool valve and a housing to run it in, a crank trigger, and the electronics to control it all. The cam also needs to be ground for the rocker geometry, which is opposite for an intake cam between a DSM and EVO. It is not even close to a simple swap.

At the end of the day though, it does work well.

Kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back