The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Power steering noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

609DSM

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2019
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Need some help, starting off I just finished replacing my rack and pinion. Took me forever, everything was so gummed up and dirty and seized, whatever. Got everything torqued down filled her up and still getting some squealing, havent properly bled the system. Pump is really old, only makes noise when I'm all the way to the right or all the way to the left, more pronounced when I'm on the gas. Got as much of the air out as I could, drives and turns fine. Anyone got some tips advice or two penny for me? Thanks in advance!

Old one was TRASHED, both boots were 100% torn and the bearings has so much dirt and grime and sand in them who knows what else. Cant believe I overlooked this...

Attachments

• 20190924_101940.jpg
    20190924_101940.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
Quick update. I did what the forums said that I was reading yesterday which is: jack the car up with engine off making sure it hasn't been started and has been sitting for 2 or more hours turning wheels lock to lock filling fluid as needed.

Before I turned lock to lock I noticed the fluid level was a little low, filled it up then started the process. Yesterday I was having cavitation and tried my best to bleed the system using a Turkey baster and refilling.

Today I havent noticed any noise or whining even when I'm all the way turned while driving and accelerating. I think I'm in the clear for my power steering, still hear a little bit of noise from the new rack on start up, maybe because I didnt fully flush the system and the liquids are mixed up? Not sure what they use in the rack fluid wise from where they are put together/rebuilt but I used the recommended dexron fluid as per the user manual.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back