The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Potentially bad ECU (Not the caps)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Hi, I've been trying to diagnose a sporadic misfire on my 91 GSX and I'm looking at the ECU and found a few suspicious points that I was wondering if y'all could take a look at and see if any of these points could be related to my misfire issue. I have included a few pictures for reference. English Racing did the chip install roughly 10 years ago and the ECU hasn't given me any issues since, but a few days ago my car started misfiring like a subie when hitting boost, then behaving normally after letting it sit for a minute or two with the engine off. I'll drive for about 30 seconds and then the subie misfire returns.

Coil packs are good
Plug wires are fresh Denso and are routed as closely to as specified by the FSM
NGK BPR7ES @0.028

Because I got sidetracked I popped the valve cover off to check for anything odd (all fine),
I didn't try swapping the CAS for another one yet and I didn't try swapping the power transistor yet

There was a crack in 2 of the coil wires at the base of the harness side plug that have since been fixed and that wasn't the cause.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nothing wrong in those pictures that I can see. C26 just looks like it has some of the waxy conformal coating buildup from the way they dip the ECU's in it.

How about a straight down shot of the whole ECU and one from the bottom?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back