The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ported 14b, very slow spool and still creep.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SniperXr2

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
Arcadia, California
So a buddy of mine did some mild porting of my 14b turbo, the exhaust manifold and the o2 housing and I still am creeping. He ported around the wastegate so the flapper would open all the way then took a good amount of the inside out so that it was smoother, but he did not eliminate the entire lip up front on the exhaust side of the turbo. He also ported too much around the flapper so now it wont seal and there is a big leak. When I took the exhaust housing off it was cracked pretty badly and I was kind of worried about it but I was hoping the porting would solve the creep, but it didn't. So now I think I need a new exhaust housing for the turbo or a new turbo all together. I have my mbc set to about 10 psi, but in first gear I creep to about 16 then when I shift (automatic) it jumps to about 23 and I hit cut. I have plans that include a 255 pump, but I still wouldn't feel safe running 23 lbs of boost. I looked at MachV and they sell exhaust housings but they are a little pricey. What do you guys think I should do? Any help would be great. Thanks alot guys.
-Rob

Stapl3 said:
Snag a different 14b for 150 dollars.
^^^
What he said. Sounds like a bad port job, which you shouldn't have even bothered on with a cracked exhaust housing.

Pick up another 14B, or pick up another exhaust housing. When you port it next time around, grab a can of black spray paint and spray the wastegate area with the flapper closed. The unpainted area around the flapper shows where you can port, but don't get too close or you'll have the same slow spool issues.

Make sure you port on the inside of the housing as well, taking out enough material on the inside to help 'guide' the exhasut gas to the flapper instead of down to the turbine.

Could you actually get boost creep on a 14B even when the wastegate flapper leaks?? It sounds more like you have a boost CONTROL problem.

If you connect the wastegate actuator vacuum line directly to your UICP, with no boost controller, you should only get 9 - 10 psi if your actuator is working properly. If it is sticking or faulty you'll get inconsistent boost.

My 14B is heavily ported and I've never had a boost creep issue. Just the opposite. Boost falls off in the higher RPM's as that little turbo tries desperately to keep up.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back