1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Piston and rod recommendation for 700-900hp

Posted by DemonDSM, Aug 28, 2008

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Blindsey

Blindsey Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2007
    Holladay, Utah
    Fantastic post! I just started my stroker build and decided to go with Arias pistons and Eagle rods.

2. Blindsey

Blindsey Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2007
    Holladay, Utah
    According to Carrillo the A beam rods are not meant for more than 75-80hp per cylinder. A local guy was selling a set of 3 so I called to see how much a replacement was. The Carrillo tech then asked me my Hp goals(700Hp) and he proceeded to tell me the A beams are more for a N/a engine...........And will not hold that much power.

3. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Actually, the Carillo rods are a great rod in the 4G63, but they perform best in the 2.0L setup. A-beams like higher rod ratios and lower rod angles -- they have been proven on several high hp cars over 600-800HP in the past. They are very nice forged steel rods -- I hope that the Carrillo tech was thinking of cast steel rods, as he would be quickly proven wrong by some people for sure!

Either way, good luck with your setup, that combination will be a great one to work with!

Drag Race Build 9K  13  76

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  4. jshuman

jshuman Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2006
    Vienna, West Virginia
    twicks69,
    I am planning on starting a rebuild this winter and I have been doing a lot of thinking about the rotating assembly. This thread has given me a lot of valuable information and even more to think about. I would like to see 700whp out of this setup. Something that I would like to know more about is rod ratio. I understand that it is the relationship of rod length to crank stroke, but could you elaborate on this a little more? I would like to know the relationship of rod ratio to motor longevity as well as if one rod ratio is more ideal than another.

Thanks,
    Justin

683  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    Tim, post #25 up there is an absolutely excellent post.
    I'd like to offer my thanks, I know it's not my thread, but that post will help many of us with our parts selection.
    Maybe if you have some free time you're looking to kill, you could turn that wealth of info into a new tech article.

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the kind comments guys, I will try to do something about putting together a technical post referring to all the stuff above.

As for rod ratio, we will go over that another day, I just don't have time this second to dive into a hour-plus writeup. If you do a google search for rod ratios, there will be some decent information out there.

Quickly though,
    2.3L has a 1.5 rod-ratio
    2.0L has a 1.7 rod-ratio
    2.1L has a 1.84 rod-ratio
    2.2L (4G64 block with 4G63 crank) has a 1.6 rod-ratio?

The "ideal" rod ratio is around 1.7-1.8, as they have better piston acceleration rates, lower side loading forces, less harmonic imbalance, lower rod angles and lower likelyhood of piston slap. The 2.1L and 2.2L de-strokers out there are the ones that have the "best" rod-ratios.

Drag Race Build 9K  13  76

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  7. jshuman

jshuman Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2006
    Vienna, West Virginia
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. This thread has been a huge help to me.
    Btw, +1 for making that post a tech article.

683  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. Slippi84

Slippi84 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2005
    Cinnaminson, New Jersey
    I really want to build a aluminum rod with wiesco coated stroker setup but haven't found any one that says exactly how hard the install is and I have already heard SBR say directly on here that it has fittment issues and they don't even reccomend the kit they sell????

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. arrowhead

arrowhead Proven Member

Joined Apr 19, 2011
    miami, Florida
    There are 3 names in the high ticket road racing and boating industry, Venolia, Diamond, and Carillo, these are the 3 brands that have been proven over many, many years.

Road Race Build 2K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    B80244A5-CF4C-4666-B01B-B4A3173FF181.jpeg I’ve used these custom diamond pistons in a couple high power builds and they perform great. On tear down inspection they were fine.

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    twicks69 likes this.