The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Phil1320 History of DSM drag racing in words and numbers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1320

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Hey all! I figured I'd open this one up, seemed to have some interest on the "first in the 10's" thread so I think this could be a great thread. This is open to anything related to the history of DSM Drag Racing. Pictures, stories, articles, statistics, etc. I'm fascinated by it.

It started so small, and continually got bigger, then grew in to a monster that pushed us out of drag racing classes or burdened us with restrictions in order to keep DSM's from constantly destroying the competition.

As stated elsewhere. I first was turned on to DSM's at Maryland International Raceway, Budds Creek, Maryland, July 4th, 1996. It was the Import Shootout hosted by EIP Tuning, the VW Tuner shop.

Being a VW guy, is most likely the reason I am today a DSM guy, and have been for more than 13 years. Without being a VW guy first, I'm not sure I would have known about the shootout, or paid any attention to the add if it was not VW related. So, the fact that I was a into the dubs, is the reason I was able to see the DSM's run at this event. And, they DID run. I was there to see, what else, I've said it 100 times now, VW's! I was a salesman for Acura at the time, and was gaining interest in the Integra GSR. As a matter of fact, I planned to purchase or lease one that summer. THANKFULLY, I went to this event.....

There were a few "quick" Honda's there. I remember about 13.6-14.3 ET's out of those cars. As far as the VW's, I remember a 1.9 L carburated NA Rabbit that pulled a 13.3 or so.

AND then, ALL the DSM's ran at once, and on average they were SO MUCH quicker and faster than all the other cars. I was like, "What the hell makes those things so fast?" Several 12, and 11 second cars! After watching those cars run down the track that day, I decided: Screw the VW's, I've done 10 years with them and it's time for a change. The thought of a new Integra was gone from my mind INSTANTLY. I was literally blown away by the performance of the Talons and Eclipses.

I remembered a friend of mine had a black '93 Talon ES while still in Maryland at the event. I couldn't wait to get back to CT so I could see what it felt like to sit in one. At the local cruise strip the following weekend, I got the chance to sit in it and I was SOLD. I loved the dash, the center console, the seats, the whole overall feel was just awesome and I knew I wanted the TURBO AWD version. I liked the '90-'91 body style TALON the best and wanted it in WHITE.

At the time, the only color I really wasn't that into was RED. I was looking in classifeds and in October of 1996, I found one that listed as one owner, 38k miles, and was about 25 miles from where I lived. I called the guy and set up a meeting. I headed out there with my friend Craig. On the way out, he was asking me what I knew about the car so far and asked what color. He knew I wanted white, he was also a WHITE ON WHITE fan. I had forgotten to ask what color it was:hmm: We pulled up, and wouldn't you know, it was Red! :ohdamn:

He was asking $8000. It had a crack in the windshield, the red paint was faded, and the rear wing and mirrors were faded some. It wasn't mint, but it was all there and had low mileage. Without delving too deep here. I ended up paying $7250 for the car, it booked in the $9000 range. Included in the sale were a '90 brochure, a '92 brochure, the factory repair manuals, and an engine pre-luber that was brand new in the box with a receipt for $389.00. I still have it and it is new in the box!

So, I drove it the first time and I was hooked. The only thing that was weird feeling was that active rear toe adjust when in the corners. It didn't feel quite as unsettled as the 4WS Honda Prelude, but, it sure felt weird to me after owning several very tight VW's.

So, within that month, the car was at the Drag Strip for the first time. It actually was within a week and a half I think. It was a super packed Saturday test n tune. I got 3 passes all day long. I tried a few practice launches on the street in the week leading up to the test n tune. I sucked at it in the beginning.

All 3 60' times were 2.0's
First pass ever was [email protected]
Followed by [email protected] - BEST RUN STOCK
and last a [email protected] - my slowest ET ever to this day!

The car was a strong runner right from the get-go had I been better at the launching, I might have matched CAR & DRIVER's 1/4 mile ET of 14.6 which is the quickest number in print for the Talon TSi AWD.

When I say bone stock, I mean BONE, air silencer still there, boost solenoid restrictor in, literally bone stock, full weight. I'll add some more on this later...

And so the journey began. That's a bit of my history to open this up, some background on why I'm here and why I'm interested in DSM history. :thumb:

Let's talk it up! :aha:

It's funny that as i've talked to Phil over the years, many conversations of dsm's have come up, so most of his past mentioned above i've already heard before, but some of the story is new and entertaining. It's pretty cool that you fell on to DSMs the way you did and more surprisingly that your still around the scene.

As for my dsm background: It starts when i was young teenage driver. What do new teenage drivers do, they drive. Everywhere. After a while i got tired of driving my hand me down '86 Grand Am and the awesome idea of test driving another car came in to mind. I quickly discovered that small car dealerships would let interested car buyers test driver their cars solo with a copy of a driver's license.

One of my fun outings was in a maroon '91 gst with clean glossy paint and some shinny chrome 16's. I was loving this joy...i mean test drive in this stock GST as every time i left in first gear the turbo would shoot up to full boost as the front tires cried for mercy. Sometimes it would torque steer bad to the right and the wipers would come on. After many fun "test drives" this one took the cake. I had never had so much fun driving someone else's car. So i managed to work out a payment plan on this $3,200 car that had front end damage LOL, as if i cared at that age. At the time I was in high school and a GST at the time was a pretty cool car. Rumor had it that the kid with the fastest car in school was this guy with a tsi awd 1g. His father helped him spend some $ on the car and by the time he was a senior it had a 20g etc. We eventually raced and my bone stock GST ended up almost catching up to his awd modded 1G after he walked away on the launch. Long story short the t-belt snapped and the car never ran right again after having it repaired by someone else. Wanting to know how to fix my own junk, this is what prompted me in to a career as a auto tech.

Years down the line I became a Mitsubishi tech and one day on my way to lunch i see a strikingly clean white '93 tsi awd on the back of a car carrier that was to be unloading the cars for our wholesale lot. I come back from lunch anxious as a young man to get under arm hair, and would you know the car was there waiting in the wholesale lot for me. A diamond in the ruff. I look the car over, it's condition appears great, all stock and i start it up and what a cloud of smoke. I quickly drive the smoking freight train in to the shop to find out how much the car will cost me. Other mechanics are mumbling things like "looks like it needs new piston rings", i knew how ever a set of fresh valve seals would take care of that.

I end up buying the car for about $900. I start modding the car as fast as my part time like pay checks will let me as i study the tuners tech forums for the next part to install. The car went from bone stock to a light 14b monster "at the time" running 12.4. The turbo ended up going out on me and a friend had a big 16g laying around. That quickly dropped my E/T another 4 tenths. This car was eventually sold to pay some bills i had at the time :ohdamn: and years later I'm back in the game racing a new 1g.

I gotta say, I never imagined that going fast in a straight line could be so fun. I'm surprised that I stayed with the dsm based on just having a fun test drive. All of my friends drove V8 RWD cars for a while. Over time, they all learn to respect the DSM.

There's always more to the story Travis! Nice write up on a bit about you and how you got into this. I bet everyone has a pretty cool story to tell, or maybe they just walked into the dealer and said, "I want that one!" I wish we had that chance!

I've got a story that follows the one above that I'll throw up here soon! It's the story of meeting Dave Buschur at the above listed event at the hotel the day before.......and how I ended up an Extreme guy instead of a Buschur guy.

Hehe...

Interesting, I'd like to hear that story. But i'm glad i got my talon shopping the wholesale lot and not the new car lot back in '93. If i remember these cars were going for around $16k when they came out. That wont even get you a corolla now, but that was a steep price in the day, for someone young. Once i found out i love to drag race, i knew i would always be doing it with a dsm. Name another car that can still be streetable and run low 12's almost 11's for around $5k including the cost of the car, and still look good doing it. Also insurance on these antiques is pretty cheap.

I'm copying ArticTSI's post from the "first in the 10's" thread and tossing it up here as it is from 1995, the year before I got into it and I feel it's a nice starting point. Even though I wasn't into DSM's til '96, I have years and years of Turbo Magazine, Sport Compact Car(I have from the first issue), and Super Street(from the first issue)some dating back into the 80's, so I was able to "look back" through all my issues and find many DSM related articles, including the first covered DSM Shootout and Dave Buschur's Talon running in the Silver State Race, in Nevada, I think that was '91-'92. As I've said, I will have to find all this stuff. We moved into our house about 2 years ago and all of it was packed, so well, that it's not ready available. I will get it dug up ASAP. Til then, I think '95 is a decent starting point and by '98 the DSM craze was in full swing.....weird considering the cars were done in 1999. So, here we go:

Hey Phil, good to see you back in full swing again. I guess we are showing our age to alot of the young guys out there. But it is always fun to pass on the DSM knowledge we have. I got into the DSM scene a little sooner, around late 92'. Prior to that I was AutoXing a 510. But I also have alot of old print outs, magazines and various clippings in boxes I have in storage in the states. Real early 90's stuff on T/E/L makes.I'll have to get some stuff scanned in whenever I make it back. I did hook up an old PC of mine and found some e-mails from the old DSM and DSS groups I subscribed to. I know the old guys will enjoy the read. This one in particluar, from May 1995, was a write up on one of the early DSM meets we had and the first where buschur hit the 11's. I did remember reading one time about a guy who had hit a 11.9X something at a test & tune night before this one from buschur, but it was a random posting on one of our news groups and could not confirm it. If I remember too the guy had said it was with a NOS shot. Some notable names on the list of times for the event. Also throwing in a picture of Hallman's ride, which I always loved.

enjoy,
Jose

***message begins***
Date: Mon, 29 May 95 19:00:42 CDT
Subject: Shootout
Message-ID: <#2>

Well, the Shootout turned out GREAT! I left Oklahoma Wednesday and
got up to Dave's Wednesday night. It was raining. It also rained on
Thursday. Early Friday morning, it cleared up, and was a beautiful
day. Almost everyone got a good sunburn. We did have a head wind
though at the track of about 15 mph. I figure it got up to 75 degrees.
Saturday was also nice, but a bit more sticky. High was in the 70s.
After everyone left on Sunday, it was raining again. We really lucked
out with the weather.

We ended up having around 47 cars. There were a few no-shows. Just for
comparisons sake two years ago, Dave had 2 cars and 4 people (Dave,
myself, Greg Di Rocco and Dean Bradley). Last year, we had 19 cars
and about 25 people. This year with 47 cars and well over 50 people,
was by far the best. Lets hope for 100 cars next year. This year we
had about 25 AWDs, 15 FWDs, 2 Galants, and 2 non-turbos. No 3000GTs
showed up. There was one 5.0 there. He got his ass kicked by one of
the Galants.

The Norwalk track was awesome! We had the track to ourselves for 6
hours. I think only one person (Jose from NJ) had serious problems with
stuff breaking. Besides him, I would say 75% of the people there
including myself set personal records! Dave ran an incredible 11.37
at 124 on the bottle. He only had 50 hp jets in too! Greg ran a 11.61
on the bottle. I told Greg, he was lucky I didn't run the bottle!!

Off the bottle, Dave B ran an 11.82 for the fastest! The big surprise
of the day was the 11.90 from James Kaz's car. He had not run better
than 12.6s this season so far. Many, many cars ran in the 12s. Even the
bone stock cars were running high 14s.

There were two AWD cars there (Marc Hallman's and John Shepherd's) who
ran mid 12s with no VPC or upgraded turbos!!! Quite an achivement!
They were both 92s though. If I ever buy another DSM AWD, it will be
a 92! They seem to run the best!!! The two mentioned cars above took
1st and 2nd in the Stock Appearing class, with 3rd place going to
Chris Croft.

Here are everyones best times: (OFF NOS)

Dave Buschur 11.82 @ 118.6
James Kaz 11.90 @ 116.3
Greg Di Rocco 12.01 @ 114.3
Bill Lawrence 12.16 @ 113.4
Jeff Hill 12.21 @ 114.8
Randy Burgraff 12.35 @ 110.5
Doug Derby 12.45 @ 109.3
Marc Hallman 12.57 @ 108.9
Dennis Smoyer 12.60 @ 107.1
John Shepherd 12.61 @ 107.1
Keith Anderson 12.70 @ 109.4
Jim Palczynski 12.93 @ 103.0
Ray Parks 12.95 @ 105.1
Andy Glaister 13.03 @ 105.6
Chris Croft 13.09 @ 104.1
Darryl Hudson 13.23 @ 102.1
Mike Bryant 13.37 @ 102.7
Bob Hayworth 13.46 @ 104.2
Al Blaha 13.57 @ 100.5
Jim Mc Kenna 13.60 @ 105.4 (FWD)
Sean Glazar 13.69 @ 99.1

***message ends***

What nuts is most of those top guys have something to contribute to the community.. Boost controllers, trannys, to full out dyno/shop..

Here are everyones best times: (OFF NOS)

Dave Buschur 11.82 @ 118.6

John Shepherd 12.61 @ 107.1

Sean Glazar 13.69 @ 99.1

***message ends***

:tease: Wow sean glazar was the slowest car at a dsm shoot out. Bet that only happened once. I thought Dave, Sean and John's cars were all sent down from heaven and ran below 9's in stock form? Guess i was wrong. I got a mag somewhere from like 2002 and it has an article on all three of these guys and i laughed when i went back and read there E/T's at the time. But they weren't this slow.

I started out with 1987 Buick Regal Base model (not T-type) It had T-tops, and the engine blew in less than 3 months that I had it...I learned to drive in this car.

1999 rolls around I believe this was freshman year for me, I just wanted a 2 door car thats it as far as transportation... A buddy of mine had an early 90s Acura integra 2door that I was really interested in. So I set out to search for something similar, import, 2dr, 5 spd.
Search came up with nothing good accept this little forest green Mitsubishi. It was a 1996 mitsubishi mirage. 5spd. For some reason I just loved they way it looked so I bought it..... My buddy and I quickly got into trying to modify our cars to get all the performance we could out of them. I also went drag racing for the first time in this car in 99.. After about a year driving and learning about it I got it out of the 16s at the track and went high 15s. I then started doing research on how to further pursue more power in the form of turbocharging, when I stumbled apon the legendary 4g63t engine and the fairly easy swap into the mirage. So I began saving my cash for the engine. During this time is when I learned all about the 4g63t and the pioneers that were breaking records using it..

Then in 2000 I got cocky and took some corners with bald tires on a wet street and wrecked the mirage really bad. It had all sorts of frame damage. So my engine swap plan was shot, and I had to go back to the drawing board.

A few months passed after the wreck the search for another mirage began, unfortunately no mirages could be found in my area, so the next best thing to do was to find the orignal car that came with a 4g63t already in it.... that search ended up with this 1995 eagle talon TSI... This was the beginning of 2001, I learned alot from this car, tons on turbos/engines as I modded this thing quite a bit.. This was about the time where I ended up getting hooked on drag/street racing. Later I ended up getting a best time of 14.0 @ 106. Thats when I started getting beat by mustangs and other RWD cars...And i learned that FWD sucks and Vowed never to get another one again...
This car served me well for the next couple of years until a drunk driver took it out of commission...

Fast forward to the beginning of 2003, after taking enough of driving my moms mini van for 6 months I found the same car only AWD and BLUE!! In Denver COLORADO.. So off I went to pick this thing up... an Immaculate 1995 eagle talon tsi AWD from an old couple... As soon as I got it back home we made a trip down to the Tulsa race track where it Ran 14.6 @ 92 bone stock..

From this point on the modding began and about 9-10 turbo setups later, my talon is finally fast and as you see it today in my profile/sig... I did venture off into other cars as well such as nissan 240sx with sr20 swaps, and my toyota mr2 turbo and racing motorcycles. But something always brings me back to these dsms LOL...:hellyeah:

My interest in DSM's started just because I loved the look of the 98-99 Eclipses. I wanted one and I didn't really know much about them. Then as I learned more about cars and actually had a Honda handed to me, I started to want to do something different with it than the rice I see (still building it today haha).

My long time friend actually had a 1g laser fwd (not sure about year) and it was my first time in a turbo car, and I was 12 or 13, so I just liked hearing the BOV and see the speedo fly up. Thing had a 60-1 and I'm not even sure what else, but it was pretty fast. He beat the heck out of it, and eventually sold it to his brother who is working on rebuilding the motor and dropping it into his awd laser shell. His brother got married, had kids, moved a couple times, and spends all his money on his family (as he should) so the car still isn't really done. It drives, but isn't tuned and not sure if anything other than the ecu and fans are hooked up, so it really just sits.

Then one day my long time friend who I had basically started to live with in the summers and ran around with, got a 98 spyder with a big 16g on it (legit 16g) and beat the living piss out of it. No tune, stock injectors (I believe), no afpr, and a 255 wally. Didn't even have a safc, just a boost gauge from what I remember. Constantly tried to run 25psi in it, and constantly had boost leaks. I STILL felt how hard that thing pulled, and knew that if I had one that was just tuned and leak free, it'd be a monster and fun to drive. But I knew I was never going to get a fwd one.

Then I moved away for school, still looking for a dsm for about 3 months, and had a 90 tsi awd ad pop up about 5 miles away from me. 3 Days later, it sat in my apartment parking lot. Couldn't find a job that would work around my busy school schedule, so I had no money and it just sat since I couldn't fix anything or even afford insurance then. It was a nice car with a lot of potential, just needed a few small things fixed and a nice tune (the mods are actually in my profile). It easily could have nailed some low 12's and with a little work been my 11 second car. I started it every once in a while and took it around the campus to avoid the cops just to keep it running, but finally sold it about 10 months later on a part out and moved to Pittsburgh PA. Now that I'm here and have some EVO's around, I am trying to hold myself back from buying another dang DSM especially since I have money now.

I haven't been to any shootouts or anything, but I'm hoping that will change soon. I'm almost afraid to go to one because I'm already having trouble keeping myself away from them. My fiance has to distract me when I walk past one or one drives by. I think the addiction is actually unhealthy now.

I'm hoping that when I'm out of school if I don't buy an EVO or Supra, that I can still find a '90 tsi awd to work on. If not Hopefully I can find a 98-99 eclipse because I still love that body style. I would just like to get one, do the work correctly now that I know about DSM's (and have a great place to come for answers ;)) and just pop off one 11 second run. I would be satisfied (for the time being) to finally have a good running dsm that was taken care of and tuned right, and was mildly fast.

In the mean time, I still play with my Honda when I go back to my parents (as it's on lifts), and I'm still into drifting. My friend has an sr swapped 240 and I like messing with it when I'm back home as well. My dream nissan is an s15 though and I'm determined to find a way to bring it to the states. No matter what, I have a feeling the DSM's have a spot in my heart forever.

That's my scatter-brained story.

:tease: Wow sean glazar was the slowest car at a dsm shoot out. Bet that only happened once. I thought Dave, Sean and John's cars were all sent down from heaven and ran below 9's in stock form? Guess i was wrong. I got a mag somewhere from like 2002 and it has an article on all three of these guys and i laughed when i went back and read there E/T's at the time. But they weren't this slow.

Crazy....yeah, it's TURBO mag, March 1992. Shep at 9.89, Extreme at 8.87 and Dave B. at 8.04 in the RWD 2G. I have three mint copies sitting right next to me.

Turbo mag October 1997 covers Extreme-Sean 11.006@128(one year after that '96 event Sean had caught Buschur w/o NOS) If my memory serves me right, Buschur ran 11.1@125 on the squeeze at that event.
Turbo mag December 1997 covers Extreme- Jack Culotta 11.25@124
Turbo mag April 2000 covers Sean as the World's quickest Unibody:9.57@148
Turbo mag Nov. 2000 covers the Extreme Mirage
Turbo mag Jan. 2001 covers Brents Eclipse AWD
Sport Compact Car March 2001 covers the Extreme Mirage

To my knowledge, Dave Buschur's quickest time off the bottle before selling the car to Shep was 11.005. I know he was stuck at 11.05 for quite a while, just edged it, but didn't hit 10's.

These are just a few that are drag racing related. I have a few binders of magazine tests and articles that I have separated from the original magazines. Luckily, once I got into DSM's I had years and years of Road & Track, Car & Driver...etc. I went back and found all the tests.

My interest in DSM's started just because I loved the look of the 98-99 Eclipses. I wanted one and I didn't really know much about them. Then as I learned more about cars and actually had a Honda handed to me, I started to want to do something different with it than the rice I see (still building it today haha).

My long time friend actually had a 1g laser fwd (not sure about year) and it was my first time in a turbo car, and I was 12 or 13, so I just liked hearing the BOV and see the speedo fly up. Thing had a 60-1 and I'm not even sure what else, but it was pretty fast. He beat the heck out of it, and eventually sold it to his brother who is working on rebuilding the motor and dropping it into his awd laser shell. His brother got married, had kids, moved a couple times, and spends all his money on his family (as he should) so the car still isn't really done. It drives, but isn't tuned and not sure if anything other than the ecu and fans are hooked up, so it really just sits.

Then one day my long time friend who I had basically started to live with in the summers and ran around with, got a 98 spyder with a big 16g on it (legit 16g) and beat the living piss out of it. No tune, stock injectors (I believe), no afpr, and a 255 wally. Didn't even have a safc, just a boost gauge from what I remember. Constantly tried to run 25psi in it, and constantly had boost leaks. I STILL felt how hard that thing pulled, and knew that if I had one that was just tuned and leak free, it'd be a monster and fun to drive. But I knew I was never going to get a fwd one.

Then I moved away for school, still looking for a dsm for about 3 months, and had a 90 tsi awd ad pop up about 5 miles away from me. 3 Days later, it sat in my apartment parking lot. Couldn't find a job that would work around my busy school schedule, so I had no money and it just sat since I couldn't fix anything or even afford insurance then. It was a nice car with a lot of potential, just needed a few small things fixed and a nice tune (the mods are actually in my profile). It easily could have nailed some low 12's and with a little work been my 11 second car. I started it every once in a while and took it around the campus to avoid the cops just to keep it running, but finally sold it about 10 months later on a part out and moved to Pittsburgh PA. Now that I'm here and have some EVO's around, I am trying to hold myself back from buying another dang DSM especially since I have money now.

I haven't been to any shootouts or anything, but I'm hoping that will change soon. I'm almost afraid to go to one because I'm already having trouble keeping myself away from them. My fiance has to distract me when I walk past one or one drives by. I think the addiction is actually unhealthy now.

I'm hoping that when I'm out of school if I don't buy an EVO or Supra, that I can still find a '90 tsi awd to work on. If not Hopefully I can find a 98-99 eclipse because I still love that body style. I would just like to get one, do the work correctly now that I know about DSM's (and have a great place to come for answers ;)) and just pop off one 11 second run. I would be satisfied (for the time being) to finally have a good running dsm that was taken care of and tuned right, and was mildly fast.

In the mean time, I still play with my Honda when I go back to my parents (as it's on lifts), and I'm still into drifting. My friend has an sr swapped 240 and I like messing with it when I'm back home as well. My dream nissan is an s15 though and I'm determined to find a way to bring it to the states. No matter what, I have a feeling the DSM's have a spot in my heart forever.

That's my scatter-brained story.

Very cool man! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure when you're ready, you will be able to find a Talon or the newer Eclipse you like in nice shape. You may have to look for a while to find exactly what you want, but it will be worth it. Hopefully you'll do that rather than the EVO, or both! I love the EVO's for sure and wish I still had my '04 RS, but, they are the opposite of the DSM when it comes to insurance, property tax, and mod expenses, not to mention a bit harder to work on. Either way, hope to see you back in another DSM, so you can make some more DSM HISTORY! Yes, the S15 Silvia is a sweet ride for sure. One of my best friends is an SR fanatic. Like he always says, "Thanks Nissan! Nope, we didn't want the Silvia here, or the Skyline, thanks!(SARCASM!)
Of course the GTR made it here, but mere mortals can't even think about owning one. Good luck with whatever you decide and glad to hear the DSM spirit remains!

Interesting, I'd like to hear that story. But i'm glad i got my talon shopping the wholesale lot and not the new car lot back in '93. If i remember these cars were going for around $16k when they came out. That wont even get you a corolla now, but that was a steep price in the day, for someone young. Once i found out i love to drag race, i knew i would always be doing it with a dsm. Name another car that can still be streetable and run low 12's almost 11's for around $5k including the cost of the car, and still look good doing it. Also insurance on these antiques is pretty cheap.

The Fox Body Mustang is the only other thing that is comparable. I would say they are about the same for bang for the buck.

The Fox Body Mustang is the only other thing that is comparable. I would say they are about the same for bang for the buck.

A quick search in my local craigslists shows that fox body mustangs in good shape are going for $4500-5500 and that is with bolt ons. I would wax the floor with 5.0 mustangs in my mid 12 sec '93 awd and half of them had heads and cam or even a super charger. But i agree the fox body mustangs are probably the next closest bang for buck car.

Well heres my crazy story. I have always loved cars and power, but since I grew up in a out of no where country setting I really didn't know much about what could actually be done to cars performance wise. Then it happened.... I went to see the first fast and furious... yeah yeah I know.... Well I instantly fell in love wth the eclipse, wasn't much of a fan of the lame body kit, grafics, or paint color. But I otherwise loved the style of the car.
Didn't think too much about it after that again for quite some time.
Then one day I picked up a scc magazine and it had a sunfire with a fairly clean body kit(is that possible....LOL) Owning one at the time sparked my interest so I bought the mag and combed it over. I was amazed with all the options there was for all these little cars(keep in mind I was basically secluded and if anyone did anything it was to a v8)
Now the bug had hit me pretty hard, I started to spend all my free time researching how to make my sunfire go faster. I turbo'ed it but with no fuel management except an fmu it didn't last long. Swapped in a 2.4 dohc (one of the first to do the swap) Got it running and made it to a track that was a few hours away and ran a 15.6. But what did I see while I was there but another 2g eclipse, my interest was sparked again so I started to do as much research on them as I possibly could. I bought every magazine I could find with a dsm in it.
Once again after realizing a 2G was way too expensive for me to buy and mod(rare and expensive for a clean/good condition Eclipse GSX here in Canada, especially in my area)
So I went a new route and bought a 94 civic hatch, short storey form is I swapped in a ls ran 14.9 with it, then swapped in a turbo gsr and ran 11.42. The chasis was old and beaten and with that power was pretty unstable so I bought a 99 hatch, drove it home and pulled the motor. Over that winter I swapped in all my turbo GSR gear and that summer bumped the boost up to 22psi and made 508whp and ran a best run of 10.93. That fall I went away to worked so I sold the car with the intensions of my family moving out with me. Well some bad events that I'll keep out of here happened so I came back home to my family.
Bought a couple cars to drive but wasn't happy with stock. Started looking around and bam I found a 90 tsi awd(not what I wanted but figured it would atleast get me started on a 4g63t build for when I found a 2g to swap it all over to). Called the guy went to see it. Beside it was a smashed 95 integra with full running drivetrain asked the guy about it and he said it was for sale too. Talked to him for a bit and he eventually told me if I give him full price $1500 for the talon that I could have both. So I took them both and made enough parting out the teg to pay for the two cars. I basically put new tires and battery in and drove it. It handled very well but to me lacked power, was peppy but just not what I expected(eventually found the turbo housing had some serious cracking bleeding off alot of boost). By the end of the summer it overheated pretty badly and ruined the motor.
Fast forward to present day I bought a parts car and after taking the motor apart it too had a bad bearing. But the body of the car is in much better condition BY FAR. I have also lined up another 92 with a built motor that possibly spun a bearing. Told the guy I was interested in the rear end(4 bolt) and the head for a spare. He made me a deal I couldn't pass up for the full car minus his turbo setup, clutch and tranny(keep in mind this was a built motor possibly needing bearings which I had already bought for my other motor). Told him I would take it, was suppost to buy it last weekend but by fate I was put in the hospital with a shattered wrist, minor cranial fracture and a beat up body.
So after a surgery and a few days in the hospital I called the guy and explained the situation and told him if he needed the money to sell it if he could, as it would be a while til I could get up to pick it up. He said he was in no rush so it could wait as we had been talking and helping each other back and forth with some things and if I wanted it that he would rather keep it for me.
Thats pretty much my story up til now, I have a tonne of power parts collecting like 1000cc injectors, tsunami fuel pump, hx40, cam gears(the head in the 92 has cams) gates racing timing belt, ACT2600 cluth, bearing set, ARP head and main studs, engine full gasket kit, bs elimator, and once this cast is off a good friend of mine and I will be doing a custom twin scroll manifold, a custom SMIC, and a few other small pieces like alt. relocation kit, and a solid timing belt tentioner.
Wow that is alot to type with one hand :ohdamn: sorry in there are any mistakes..

I'm surprised that having such good luck with the Honda's running in the 10's that you still came over to the DSM dark side. But your talon should run about the same once you get your parts all on and running strong. I broke my hand a couple years ago and learned how to type with my left hand. Wasn't that bad but using the mouse sucks don't it?

My story doesn't date back as far as some of your guys' story, but it is definitely a fun one(in my eyes).

To give you a little background, I'm a 17 year old high school kid(senior) from Lincoln, Nebraska. Before my talon, I had an '89 Iroc Z28 w/ a 5spd, cam, and bolt-ons that I thought was quick(mid 14's), and got me into the local scene(starcityracing.com). That car was good for some epic brakestands, silly roll races(traction problems), and breaking down(I pushed that car more than my dsm. Eventually I got sick of chasing down electrical/vacuum/misc gremlins that plagued that POS, so i sold it. I immediately started looking at dsm's, mostly shells and building one from the ground up. One saturday night I told a local DSM guru(dsmmike aka michael marnik) if he ever wanted to sell tessy(his pride and joy dsm, '91 talon tsi awd) to let me know.

Two days later he texted me asking how much I would be willing to pay, but not to get my hopes up. I worked my ass off for 2 more months of minimum wage to get that car.

When i had driven that car for the first time i was hooked. I loved how hard it launched and how it felt when it hit full boost. It has a 20g, evo 8 pistons, fp2's, jacks tranny, 650s, keydriver w/ 2step, safc, blah blah blah, all supporting mods, and ran a best of 12.0 with mike driving.

My racing career with that car started the next weekend when some of the local ls1's called me out, which didn't go well. I bogged all my launches and they were sprayin so there was no hope on the top end, but later i raced a built 5.0 stang and put 2 buses on him for a confidence booster:hellyeah:.

The next day, I skipped work and practiced my launches for a few hours on a rarely used highway by my house. That evening the crowd grew larger, and there were more good races for me. A BPT(jdm turbo bullshit) swapped mx3, a built/nitrous'd 5.0, a 1jz'd fc rx7, a procharged 03 stang, and a modded STI.

Feeling more confident, i set my 2 step at 5500 rpm so i could annihilate them out of the hole.

The mx3 was a joke, I put a bus on him feathering it the last half of the race,
The Nitrous'd 5.0 bogged on the launch and i put about a bus on him.
The procharged stang started reeling me in, but i put a car on him,
And the STI ####ed out and wouldnt race me after all that.

Im lucky because i bought a well modded car, but i've put about $2,000 into since I've bought it, and since my license is now suspended for 6 months, Im building up my spare head(mild porting, 280's, beehive springs) and going hx35 and ecmlink.

My goal is to break 10's before i graduate.

Very cool man! Thanks for sharing! I'm sure when you're ready, you will be able to find a Talon or the newer Eclipse you like in nice shape. You may have to look for a while to find exactly what you want, but it will be worth it. Hopefully you'll do that rather than the EVO, or both! I love the EVO's for sure and wish I still had my '04 RS, but, they are the opposite of the DSM when it comes to insurance, property tax, and mod expenses, not to mention a bit harder to work on. Either way, hope to see you back in another DSM, so you can make some more DSM HISTORY! Yes, the S15 Silvia is a sweet ride for sure. One of my best friends is an SR fanatic. Like he always says, "Thanks Nissan! Nope, we didn't want the Silvia here, or the Skyline, thanks!(SARCASM!)
Of course the GTR made it here, but mere mortals can't even think about owning one. Good luck with whatever you decide and glad to hear the DSM spirit remains!

You're the second person to say insurance on these things is cheap. It might be because I'm 19, but my insurance even on my mom's '00 vs mustang is less than it was on my '90 awd. Cheapest quote I got for BARE MINIMUM legal insurance was 750 every 6 months!

My insurance on my honda at 16 wasn't even that expensive, nor my mom's mustang.

Never had a wreck or a speeding ticket - not even a warning! in 3 years, and then this thing came along and BAM! the price went up LOL.

But anyways, I would love to have a 1ga Talon or a 2gb Eclipse over an EVO just for the love, but damn do EVO's look sexy. If I'm on a "budget" I'll rock the DSM, but if I can splurge I'd love an EVO, especially since the 8's and 9's (the ones I love the most) will be nearing 10 years old each by then (I'll graduate in 2013, assuming the world doesn't end in 2012! :tease:). If I can really splurge, I want both :D

I'm surprised that having such good luck with the Honda's running in the 10's that you still came over to the DSM dark side. But your talon should run about the same once you get your parts all on and running strong. I broke my hand a couple years ago and learned how to type with my left hand. Wasn't that bad but using the mouse sucks don't it?

I actually have the mouse down pretty good as I just use the laptop touch mouse. All I can say about coming over to the dark side is I've loved the 2gb Eclipse since I first seen them. And after doing a tonne of research on them over the years I knew I would be wanting to swap in a 6 bolt, and needing a new project the 90 seemed like the best option to play with now and to have a strong swap for a 2gb Eclipse once I find a clean shell.
Lets hear some more stories guys!!

So the dsm bug secretly infected me when I was maybe 8-10 years old if that. It started as my cousin was in highschool just getting his license and he purchased a 90 talon 2.0 non turbo A/T. I was little and didn't know any better but he would take me around pounding the hell out of the car everywhere he went and would take me into parking lots and pull the e-brake doing donuts and whipping it around in reverse. Everytime he beat on it it would take it. He wound up getting another car mid way through college but gave the talon to his mom and said that she wouldn't have any issues with it and the way she drove it would last a long time... Not even a few months later on her way to work the temp gauge just started to climb, it went red hot, gauge then read nothing then it read normal. Next thing she knew the motor puked the headgasket. After that the car was traded in and that was the last of it.

Now its 2006. I've been raised as an american v8 chevy or nothing kid. I eat sleep and dreamed small block and big block chevys. My dad owned a 55 chevy and 57 chevy during this time and I owned a 74 vega with a small block swap as my first car. Being as I was in college I couldn't drive the vega as it was still being built. I had an 87 suburban 2500 2wd as my get around beater. During my way home from work down near college the heater core let go. I bypassed it no big deal and the part was only 38$ but required 10 hours of labor and being on the college budget a bill like that and still only getting 15mpg wasn't going to cut it. While working at pepboys my co-workers which were into supras and mustangs and anything fast asked me what I was looking into. I told them the old story of my cousin and his dsm and the mustang driver said I "HAD" a 2g. Come to find out he pounded the crap out of a 2g awd automatic. Use to nuetral drop it at redline with 4 people in the car and he did a 6 bolt head swap on it. It ran ok until the oil filter came off going down the road. Thats how he got the mustang. A few days go by and something in my head is nagging at me to get a dsm. My friends warn me of the problems but I tell them I'm going to school to be a an auto technician and I know all these cars need is some routine maintence and I can keep them together. A few more days go by talking about dsm and come to find out the service manager at the time was a dsmer with a fwd that ran low 13's on a 14b running 20psi tuned and built by himself. Im getting more and more hooked and start looking online.

I'm starting to eat dsm. not quite sleep dsm. A day or so goes by and the one co-workers friend comes in with a beat up 240 with an sr20 swap and asked him if he knew anyone looking for a car. Jeff (the co-worker) didn't think anything of it and just asked what he was selling. I was just sitting at the counter not paying much attention until he said it...
"my 92 talon, I just put it back together and have the 240 now so I just want to sell it."
Before I ven asked why did he put it back together I asked how much he was asking. I got the reply of $2700 and it has a 157k on the clock. Phil only put mayb 12 miles on the car after he put it together and he wanted to sell it. I find out it broke a timing belt and Phil the owner put on a slowboy sage 3 head with the works, cometic gasket, arps and a power enterprise kevlar timing belt. It had pontiac wheels on it and wide tires and a k&n. Everyhting else was stock and it was in some rough shape. I wanted a 4cyl for the gas mileage and a small car. I FOUND IT!!! ...and teach myself how to drive stick.... This was only a small hurdle to get over being at college an hour and a half from home. LOL.

I was still 17 at he time so I had o swing it past my parents which my dad knew about the performance end of things and was ok with it but we jus told my mom it was good on gas and reliable... A week went by of arguing over the car and they said yes. I call phil and find out there is another buyer for the car but he only paid half the money and already picked the car up to take it out for the weekend. I was ready to give up but I told Phil that i had every penny he was asking for and I could give it to him the following day. He managed to get the car back and I got the phone call. We made arrangements and I picked it up.
The day I got I spent my hour long lunch break taking the car up and down the road shifting it from first to second and ripping on it just lovng it figuring out how to launch.
I spent the next 2 months figuring out how to drive stick on the crappy dsm transmission which went ok until the springs launched out of the clutch disc hub.
about 3 months later I got a boost controller. 20psi spikes on a stock set up hitting fuel cut was the craziest moment of my life. IT hooked me in even more. Even after 2 accidents and replacing the front end and all of its maintence, Its still my baby. I've driven it to the dsm shootout for 3 years now and the car is pennsylvanias highest mileage stock bottom end 1gb talon. I Even drove it out there this year with a seeping head gasket. Some of you may remember the primered 1g with the writing all over the windows... ITS STILL GOING and I haven't changed the headgasket yet. Its now the ending months of 2009 and its official that I eat, sleep, drink, and dream DSM. I still have the fwd with its current state of mods in the profile and it has 213k on the clock still going strong. Since those college days I managed to get 5 of my friends either into dsms or back into the dsm game. I even managed to have my fiance get a 2g awd 5spd which she learned to drive stick on. Now the fwd I consider my beater as I build my 90 awd for street/strip duty which I'm hoping to finish by spring/summer of next year. Theres a story behind that purchase as well but I'll save that for another post.

My awd story goes a little differently. Throughout the winter of 2008 into 2009 i kept bugginy my friend who picked up clean white 91 tsi awd that had a built motor full exhaust and a blown turbo. He drove it and used it until the car smoked so bad he couldn't pass new jersey emissions. I kept bugging him to sell me his car and we would work out a deal. Eventually after months of him telling me to keep dreaming he gave in and made a deal. " As long as he didn't get promoted at work he would sell me the car. " Well it was the week before valentines day 2009 and we were all hanging out together. I had my check book with me waiting for the moment but we just didn't get the time to do it. I was going to write him a check for the car on the spot and hand it to him. The car was sitting and I knew I would give it a good home. We never had the opprotunity to give him a check that weekend. Week after valentines day me and him talk and he had some issues and he told me he can't sell me the car and he was going to use the car as his therapy or atleast something to keep him occupied throug the bad times. I started looking off and on for the next few months and one night at my fiances house she surprised me a bunch of ads on craigslist of dsms for sale. I was starting to want a galant v4 and fond 2 amazing ones but didn't have the cash at the time. She showed me one about 20 minutes from my house that looked really neglected and I was turned off by the photos of it. One headlight up one headlight down and a primered fender and beat up bumper. Not really what I was going after.

I spent the next few weekends at the local u pull it yard getting parts I know I would need for my next build and parts I could sell.. I wound up posting all but a few items on here for sale now. LOL... Stupid me, buying parts before I buy the car. Anyways were into April now and I'm coming back from the u pull it yard when my friend Justin calls me and asks how far I am from home and that I wouldn't beleive what he was parked next to at the food store.
His story to me went like this
Justin- Nice car ( justin owns a white 92 tsi)
other guy- This thing? its a piece of S*** I want to sell it.
Justin- Your kidding? How much I have a friend whos looking for one desperatly.
other guy- $1800 or B.O. its got new tires, radio, and a full exhaust.
He handed justin his name and number and thats when my phone rang.

Justin- If you can get here in 10 minutes you can talk to the guy.
Me- Im 20 minutes out with tools and parts galore I'll do my best just take pictures and a video and I'll call him if I don't make it.
Justin- I'm ten steps ahead of you. The car needs some work but its definatley the way you want it mechanically stock with 113k on it. seems to run decent.
Me- I'm doing 75mph in a 55 zone. I'll see you shortly.

Got there to talk to the guy and sit in the car and climb all over it. The outside of it looked beat up ut under the hood was a dirty time capsule of 1990 and the chassis looked like it was dragged through a rally race in AFrica. As I talk to the guy he tells me it was posted on craigslist. I now realize its the SAME ONE I TURNED DOWN JUST A WEEK PRIOR!!!! I call him up a day later and say $1400 and we can make a deal. He talks to his wife and we make plans for the 28th of april.

Its present day now and the title is in my name now and the car is up on jack stand as I wait for the weekend to put in my 4 bolt rear. The body is all in primer with 4 more little spots of rust and rot to fix in the quarters. Rims are painted and ready to go for it. The holset 35 is in my room sitting next to my bc272 cams and act 2600 clutch it. The coil on plug is also half in my room, half in the trunk of my fwd. the front mount, spare trans are in the garage. the manual rack is installed. The exhaust is in my basement ready to be installed along next to my ecu which magically fried somehow while the car sat in my garage, damn caps leaked. Now I have to save up more cash for ecmlink. 104 lbs of unneeded weight and sound damepening have been taken out of the car. I'm searching for a 425 AWHP DD that gets 25-28mpg. I think the recipe is ready for it. I guess I will find out come spring/ summer

Hmmm.... Where to begin. My first brush with a turbo charged car was around 1980. It was my unlce's Trans-Am. I got to ride in it the day he bought it. It was a super glossy black. The dash was brushed aluminum that changed colors in the sunlight, it was so amazing to me. When he pulled out of the drive way he smoked the tires. I felt like rock star riding in that car. I remember it like it was yesterday. I also remember him pointing to the back of the hood to show me where the "turbo charge" emblem was. Not knowing what it even meant at the time, but I was hooked. In 1987 or 88 I had to take a driver training course and the car I was tasked with driving was a Chrysler Conquest. I remember how surprised I was when I had to accelerate and merge into traffic for my highway test. It gave me a new appreciation for that car. Because up to that point it was just driving around town and learning fundamentals. The acceleration was great. Unfortunately at the time I did not know it was the turbo that was giving it that extra "boost" I felt. But, the cars performance further convinced me that I wanted to get into cars. When it came time for me to get my first car I was a victim of my environment. All the guys around me where driving Irocs, mustangs and vettes. Needless to say I ended up with a 84' mustang for my high school years, very typical with flowmasters and all. There was a guy that went to school with me that was racing on the weekends in some SCCA/ autocross events and invited me out. The first time I went to watch I knew I wanted to get into it also. The whole scene was awesome. I signed up that day. Couple weeks later I was out there in my mustang. Well I got a lot of seat time, which was fun, but losing was not. I was getting beat by cars with half the power. After talking to a lot of the successful drivers and studying trends on what they were racing I decided to pick up another car just for my weekend racing. I ended up getting a 69' Datsun 510. That was a great little car. Did a lot of free mods and bought some goodies and got competitive and even won my class a couple of times. This went on for about 4 years. A few years after high school I finally came into my own and decided I was going to buy a new daily driver. This is now late 92'. Well, after some research I narrowed the cars down to once again what was available nearby. The 3 cars it came down to was a red 90' corvette ZR1, a black 90' 300ZX TT, and a white 91' Talon TSi. The vette had great power, but I could not get over how big and high the dash seemed, the hood also seemed equally hard see over and navigate with. Like I was driving a boat. Basically did not feel comfortable behind the wheel. The 300 was great, the super hicas (All wheel steering)was hard to get use to especially after how predictable my 510's rear end was. Another big negative point was the price, it was fairly steep back in the day. Did not want to get myself so deep in a car unless I absolutely had to have it. Then I will never forget the day I test drove the talon. As soon as I slide into the driver seat it felt like a glove. Everything seemed within perfect reach, visibility was excellent, loved the ergonomic shape of the dash, which at the time was still a new concept. The acceleration was outstanding. Then the AWD just took it over the top. I hit a turn at high speed and it felt so solid. The price was also great. Considering it was the showroom model, thus fully loaded, leather, power everything, sunroof, premium sound it was still a TON cheaper than the other two cars. I was sold. So my DSM journey had just begun.

Jose

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose, That's a name i haven't seen in a while. How's it going man. I had no idea you bought your car from the dealer brand new. That truly is awesome you still have it in great condition almost 20 years later. Great story and good to see you.
I'm back in the game with a laser now pushing to work my way back down to a respectable 14b time (or what used to be respectable). A lot of guys will ask me what i run, i tell them mid 12's as of now, they'll ask what turbo? When i say stock they seem really impressed and say that's really good for stock turbo. The best thing is a lot of people i get that from are dsm guys too.

I remember the very first 1g i ever sat in. It was a white 1g (not the one i bought) at an auction lot and i sat inside of it. I was about 17 years old and probably about 6'-6'1" and i sat in it and thought it was pretty cool "but it's way to small and i feel kinda claustrophobic with the dash panel kinda coming at me at an angle where the HVAC controls are." Almost 10 years later and now i'm 6'4" 225 pounds and i drive my 5th dsm comfortably. Although it gets kinda tight when i wear my helmet in the car at the track.

Jose, That's a name i haven't seen in a while. How's it going man. I had no idea you bought your car from the dealer brand new.

Hey Travis, things going good here. Talon has been in storage for another 4 years already. Should be coming back to the states in 1 more year. I did not buy the Talon new. Though it was crazy low miles, I was indeed the 2nd owner. It is a 91' and I bought it late 92' to early 93' all took place over Christmas to New Years. But, yea that is the main reason for the car looking the way it does, just having it so long and of all the years it has been in storage nearly 12 years of its life.:thumb:

Let's talk it up!:aha:

Phil, came across this the other day while I was looking for something else.

One of the write ups in Turbo about Buschur and his 98' 2G. Just happen to notice that they mention him as the first in nearly every category.

***article begins***
1998 Eagle Talon - Buschur's Bullet - Second Gen Talon
8.04 @ 172.8 mph
If you're among the thousands of enthusiasts wearing the DSM badge, you've probably heard of David Buschur. Buschur has been racing DSMs for the past 12 years and has eclipsed more milestones in the Diamond Star arena than anyone in the sport. The Buschur Racing team was the first to break the 12-, 11-, 10-, 9- and most recently, the 8-second barrier down the quarter.

Buschur's passion for the sport thrived into a highly successful Buschur Racing specializing in Diamond Star performance. Buschur and Buschur Racing have developed many innovative products that proved to be key to a lightning quick DSM. We caught up with Buschur so he could show us his new tube-frame racer that's about to break another milestone-the 7-second barrier.

As you all know, Buschur was racing a back half Talon, which debuted in July '98. The Talon would eventually post a 9.43 at 147 mph before it was sold in late '98. In late 1999, Buschur felt the need for speed again and built a full tube-frame Talon. He knew the old back-halved car was too heavy, weighing in at a hefty 2,450 lbs and all the power from the engine was wasted on pushing the tank down the track....

Last edited:
Very cool stories from everyone up here so far! Thanks everyone for sharing.

Yeah, I remember that Jose......and well, there's more to that than meets the eye. Obviously, I would credit Dave B. with 13's, 12's, 11's. As I view DSM dragrace history, that's where the credit stops. Yes, Switzer was a Buschur guy, and maybe he was employed by Buschur at the time....if he was ON THE PAYROLL, I eat my words and Buschur is also credited with "first in the 10's."

Anyway, not to re-state anything further, I do remember that article. But, this does open up a historical debate:

Who considers The Buschur 1G RWD as the first DSM in the 9's? Maybe I can be swayed to think differently about it. I mean, the car started life as a standard AWD DSM, right? Hmmmmmm:hmm:

Am I going to eat my words? OK, let's talk it up. Today's DSM history lesson covers the Buschur Racing 1G RWD converted Talon. Was it the first "DSM" in the 9's.....or, was it the still original drivetrain configured AWD talon of Sean Glazar of Extreme Motorsports? List your decision, with supporting reasons, your responses will be graded on a curve! j/k:D

Let's do this.....

I vote for Sean then. Mitsubishi, Eagle and Plymouth never released a RWD dsm, therefor i feel as Buschar's RWD talon is classified kinda as a dsm, but i would classify it as exotic or extreme 4G63 powered class. I would give Buschar the credit of first 4G63 powered car to run 9's but Glazar for first DSM to run 9's. Just my opinion.

Was Buschar's 2G talon a full tube chassis when it first ran 9's or did it still resemble a dsm of some sort at that point as far as the drivetrain/chassis and interior go?

But, yea that is the main reason for the car looking the way it does, just having it so long and of all the years it has been in storage nearly 12 years of its life.:thumb:
Well better to keep it nice and untouched in storage for 12 years than to get rid of it. :thumb:

I vote Sean as well. Buschur's 2G was a tube frame car right from the start.

Found a 14b list that I printed on 9/26/05:

Joe Bucci [email protected]
Leon Reiman [email protected] to this day spelled wrong it's Reitman - moved in front of at second outing '09 - 11.59
Nick Carleton [email protected] this is the guy I moved in front of at my first outing '09 - 11.75
Matt Jannusch [email protected] 3000 VR4 with twin 14b's
Mike Knott [email protected] So identical to the above run I think its a 3K VR4
Rob Hoffman [email protected] Prettu sure his last name is Harfman....
Phil Beers [email protected]
Adam Garberg [email protected] Car looked bone stock wheels and all
Tommy Watkins [email protected]
Aaron Wilson [email protected]

That was the top ten. Jose, ArcticTSi should be in there at his 12.1 best I think....

So, what to take from this. I was #7. Joe hadn't run his 10.84 or his 10.61 NOS passes yet. Greg Horn......the guy I say that helped me out and talked with me alot about the 14b stuff was at #13 12.400@110 A girl that I met at our local strip and helped out on occasion, Amy Ferrandino sat at #15 [email protected]. I think her boyfriend was driving though.....

Pretty cool. I hope I printed the 14b list after this with Joe's 10.84, although, I'm wondering if he submitted his NOS run at the same time and the 10.84 was always in the comments like it is now....I seem to remember otherwise, but, we may never know.....

Gooberlog said:
I vote for Sean then. Mitsubishi, Eagle and Plymouth never released a RWD dsm, therefor i feel as Buschar's RWD talon is classified kinda as a dsm, but i would classify it as exotic or extreme 4G63 powered class. I would give Buschar the credit of first 4G63 powered car to run 9's but Glazar for first DSM to run 9's. Just my opinion.

I couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll just quote it.

It's too bad the DSMTimes.org site doesn't get traffic like it used too, it's tough to know how accurate any list is right now. Plus I've heard "claims" of cars that have beaten records although no info can be found on them. It's still about the best resource we have to keep up to date on the "records". Of course I tried to submit my time weeks ago and it's not up there, who's in charge of the site now anyways?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back