The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

History of DSM drag racing in pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil1320

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Hey all! Since my other history (words and numbers) thread really has been lost in the mix, I figured rather than try to post pictures in that thread, I'd make a new thread for just that.

So, I will start with the first pictures I ever took of DSM's: July 4th weekend 1996, in Maryland for the EIP Tuning East Coast Import Shootout held at MIR in Budds Creek. This was to my knowledge the FIRST Import Drag Race held on the East Coast. Also, I didn't own a DSM at the time....I was a VW guy (how I heard of the race as EIP was a VW Tuner shop) and was selling Acura at the time and was on the verge of buying a GSR Integra. Well, this event changed that. I never thought about the DSM's until I watched them go down the track at this event. Three months later, I bought my '90 Talon AWD from the original owner, the same car I still have today.

So, stay tuned and I hope you all enjoy this. I guess pictures are better than words and numbers any day.....

Great idea, but where's the pics?

Unfortunately I don't think I have anything up until 2005, so I'll wait to post anything I have, although I think I have copies of some old pics somewhere I'll dig up.

That's why I said, "So, stay tuned.":p

I'm starting as of July 4, 1996. The day I decided a DSM was for me.

So, here's a couple to start off:
1. Dave Buschur's '91 Talon - notice the black rear bumper, front bumper, and fender. The car got loose in his trailer on the way down and did some damage to the car and to the toolbox at the head of the trailer.

We met Dave at our hotel in La Plata the afternoon before (July 23rd,1996) and he told us about it. The new parts you see came from the local Mitsu or Eagle dealer, I can't remember. Needless to say, Dave B. was not the happiest camper the first time I met him. Who would have thought that day that in the future this car would run a 7.70 1/4 mile? Crazy. On this day, if I remember correctly, his best was 11.1@125 or so with the good ole 20G and about a 50hp shot of NOS.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2. The T-Shirt back from the event - Yep, I still have it!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My first import event was at E town in late 90s and I was instantly hooked. It was much more exciting back then and I love visiting the roots and no one better than Phil to send me back in time...thanks brotha!

My first import event was at E town in late 90s and I was instantly hooked. It was much more exciting back then and I love visiting the roots and no one better than Phil to send me back in time...thanks brotha!

Thanks for the props Max! And of course you are welcome!!!!! I will get back to this thread with some new pics soon. I haven't been able to be to active over the last few weeks, so stay tuned!!!

Awesome thread idea Phil!!!

Mine DSM racing pictures start in 2004 so I'll have to wait to post too.

Thanks!!! That will be great! And I do encourage anyone to add their pics up when the time comes. I will try to go in the best order I can and remember the exact dates of when pics were taken but it may be tough to nail it exactly. However my albums run in order.........

Updates to come soon:thumb:

LOL We should call you the DSM historian after all of your threads. I was just thinking about your other one the other day.

My first inspiration came from a joy ride in the back seat of some random guy's car. He bounced my head off the rear glass during a launch in his 16g powered 1g and I was hooked.

My second 4g63 inspiration came in the shape of AMS's drag car which rolled through our, one stop light town, on the way back from Ohio Valley Dragway in 05 or 06 (can't exactly remember). I still have the pics of it on the trailer. At the time it was the fastest Evo in the world with around 1000 to the wheels.

Needless to say, I bought the first AWD DSM I saw for sale in 07 LOL.

I like old school dsm builds. Reminds me of dsms being like the muscle cars of import! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back