The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Our '98 GSX DD Street King

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiki2777

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Hi guys, let me start off with how we got our "baby" LOL. (Oh and by the way, um, there are 2 people who "own" this beast, my twin brother and I :D) Our first car we got from our dad passed on to us, an '01 Ford Mustang V6 red convertible. (yes... I know, and to make things worse it was an auto LOL) Well, I dealt with using this car for the mean time, while I scoured the internet daily for a rare find on a car I wanted. Now, I watched WAY to much Fast and Furious LOL, but it got me interested in badass imports. Unfortunately, it took me a while to realize most Toyota Supras (TT) go for around 30k :sosad:, but then after a few days of looking at lancer evos I knew that I couldn't get one anytime relatively soon. BUT, then I realized I NEEDED an eclipse turbo. It took me a while to find the one that I wanted but I narrowed it down to 2 cars. One was a 97 (i think...) GS-T, and the other was a 98 GSX, long story short, glad I chose the 6 bolt motor and AWD car, with a flashable ECU. I got her for 4 grand, so she came with some small issues here and there.

Original state of car:
6 bolt
13g (originally thought it was a 14b...)
stock sidemount (...:barf:)
Full 3" Apex'i N1 exhaust (catback and dp with test pipe)
homemade shortened shifter
ghetto boost gauge (sunpro hanging through the console...)
TurboXS boost controller (if you can call it that...)
Spectre intake
6 puck clutch stg 3
I think that was about it

Current Progress:
TRE stage 2 (no 4 spider :( but still amazing :cool:)
Still 6 bolt (about 25k)
Big 16g MHI
GReddy 24v FMIC
HKS BOV
Injen intake
GReddy SS braided radiator hoses (rare :D)
B&M Short Shifter w/ GReddy sequential GREX shit knob
Triple gauge pillar from Glowshift (boost and volts)
Innovate MTX-L
Ceddymods Ecuflash (Launch control/antilag/limiter/knock gauge)
Evoscan logging
Omni Power 4 Bar MAP Sensor
Walbro 255lph HP
FIAV bypass
Cyclone Intake
Fluidyne Radiator
Wire tuck
VIS Racing Carbon Fiber OEM hood
Emissions Delete

Plans for the future: (red = completed)
Cyclone Turbo Intercooler Intake Manifold (actuated properly)
Holset HX35 7 blade
T3 Manifold setup / BEP bolt on turbine housing
Catch Can setup
SPEED DENSITY
E85
FIC Injectors
TT Supra fuel pump (if i can find one...) Rewired *scrapped idea for Walbro 255 HP*
AFPR
Possible methane/NOS injection/Co2 sprayer
Big Brakes (either VR4, BREMBOS, or outlander)
Ceddymods BOOST CONTROL??!?
New springs... looking at FEAL coilovers
Strut tower bars
Fluidyne aluminum radiator
COMP cams 101200 / FP2 cams (272s)

Issues/fixes: (blue = fixed)
second gear grind - fixed (TRE stage 2)
dragging clutch - finally ####ing fixed

Rear driver side quarter panel paint not good (it was repainted and the surface wasn't cleaned well, so its cracked)
Idle bounce - probably the fiav but it goes away when at op temp)
Slightly messed up bumper - (not a big deal, but i am working on getting my new bumper ready)
Bad/sagging springs - causes it to not have exactly straight steering
Driver side lower door hinge bad - needs to be rewelded so it doesn't rub on fender
MULTIPLE ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENTS :cry: :barf:

Ill try to update this as much as I can, I wish i would have started earlier, and I'll get more pics up.

UPDATES:

8/12/2012= http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm...-our-98-gsx-dd-street-king.html#post153059487

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 71
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
nice set up why not walbro 255 or bosch 044 over the supra pump?

I'm just thinking that running the holset to its max or near it (60lbs/min) on e85 will probably be too much for a 255lph, and I think the bosch are expensive :D. The supra pump flows like 290lph and rewired it should be perfect. Good question though, oh and no "whinebro" LOL like a walbro has.

Couple weeks back I went in and decided to fix my idle and stalling issue with the isc motor. This FIAV bypass was the free one where you just disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body and connect the one off the back of the thermo housing straight to the rear water pipe. Not only does this remove any idle surge issues , but it decreases intake charge temps and thus increasing horsepower!! WELL worth the pain for this. Also, do not forget to use some RTV on the FIAV Door plate (circular thing you punch to find the valve, so you don't get a Boost Leak for the sake of all problems to prevent)

Link for the free FIAV blockoff http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-intake-exhaust/391977-free-fiav-block.html

Now for my pain LOL, because nothing I do to this car doesn't go without some suffering LOL. I was enjoying my lower temps in 100degree plus weather, and when I made it to practice for football, my coolant temps had skyrocketed very quickly... I discovered that the coolant line I chanced by not replacing had ripped and spilled coolant everywhere! I was like, son of a... So, after practice it was late and in the dark I got home via my parents and got the materials and went to town On it.. In the dark:ohdamn:. Well, I got 'er done...

On to the next part, I finally decided F the supra pump idea, not enough flow at high psi, so whinebro it is. I got it from VTECTHIS on the classifieds, (great guy, awesome seller a+++ very trustworthy) and so far it has work great and not even whining yet!

Now the install... and pain, again. Like most I assumed that this would be cakewalk right? Wrong. So wrong. I got all the way to the 19mm and 14mm hard line fittings, and they were rusted to hell and back. (thank you Nebraska...):cry: anyways, both top and bottom wouldn't budge without stripping the 14mm with the flare nut wrenches. So I decided just to cut the rubber line in between and reconnect it with a dual 3/8 open barb fitting with t-bolt clamps, and it working like a champ at the moment. This was a serious PITA, not to mention the difficulty with the gasket and the locking ring, oh and the frickin screw for the fuel pump is a little stripped now, :sosad:. BUT WE MOVE ON!

In addition, this now allows me to wake up and see the shittiness that is my fuel maps at the time LOL. I was running 9's in boost because the walbro flows way more than stock LOL.
I since then have fixed that and will update my experience since.
Any questions just throw 'em at me!
(pics added ASAP)

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 76
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 88
Good luck with the build

Thanks a lot :). Its been really hard to find time to do anything with this car with football and school now :(.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back