The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DD/Weekend Cruise 98 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knil

Probationary Member
Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
The story begins here:

Life takes some interesting turns and for some it is worse than others. I had recently made huge changes to my life and my living situation that at first looked drab and uncertain. Still is a bit of uncertainty but what I was that the choices I made would lead me to happiness. So 2 weeks after some deep soul searching I realized I had let a huge part of my life escape me which was my passion for motor vehicles. I had spent some time modifying the car which I assumed I would be stuck with forever and that was my Saturn...but I was never satisfied.

Some of you may be familiar with DSM Tuner "Atuca" who is right now in the midst of his G4CS stroker build. He has been a good friend of mine since grade school and was the main influence in this build. So, fast forward to today, soul searching complete, quick browse on Craigslist and I come across a 98 GSX with a rebuilt motor for $2,500. I am thinking to myself at this point...that is a steal after being used to seeing GSXs sell for $4-5k. So I jumped on it...called up Atuca since the car as local to him and asked him to take a look at it. The car was in bad shape...does not run, "air coming out of the intake", drive shaft was INSIDE the car. I can go on and on about how much work the car needs....but in the end, I picked it up for $1,500 after pointing out numerous flaws...so here she is:

eclipse3.jpg

eclipse1.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

image.jpg

Specifications/Current State:
*EVO3 turbo.
*Some brand of FMIC
*APEXI Exhaust (Hanging solely by muffler...)
*Engine supposedly rebuilt...I'll be the judge of that.
*No power steering.
*Battery improperly relocated to trunk, no battery enclosure, exposed negative and positive leads in engine bay... >.<
*Front bumper thrashed, bent, cracked...
*Front driver fender damage...
*Drive shaft is inside the car....
*Nice, boost, oil pressure, and air/fuel gauges.
*No passenger seat.
*Odometer was rolled backwards...*says 15 miles...haha.
*Black paint over red.
*Suspension drop, improperly, cut springs.
*Cracked windshield.
*All 4 tires do not match...big NONO on AWD.

Short Term Goals:

Bring the Car to Life
*Pull and inspect engine.
*Replace all seals, gaskets, bolts.
*Inspect and possible rewire for battery relocation.
*Ensure proper timing.
*Replace all rubber tubing and lines.
*Repair exhaust leaks.
*Secure exhaust.
*Boost leak test.
*Replace front bumper.
*Replace windshield.
*Basically repair all issues from current state preventing vehicle from moving on its own power.

Long Term Goals:

Off the Lot Quality
*Forged internals (If stock internals are trashed after engine inspection).
*Proper suspension/fully adjustable or proper drop.
*Tune for higher boost.
*Replace tires.
*Repair/repaint all body panels
*Repaint.
*Refurbish all interior fixings.
*Much more I am sure.

So while I am not new to DSMs thanks to Atuca, I am new to the whole rebuild experience. I am definitely looking forward to the finished product which should be and will be a shiny new looking car in the end. While this build may be more basic the most other builds on the forum, its a build nonetheless. Thanks for reading.

Awesome pick up. I wish I could find something like this around me to restore for myself. Good luck with the car and I can't wait to see some progress on it!

Glad we finally got you off the ground and started with this build. I like the look of the short term list and can't wait to play with the long term, but we certainly have our work cut out for us!

Let's hope our current block is in good shape!

Awesome pick up. I wish I could find something like this around me to restore for myself. Good luck with the car and I can't wait to see some progress on it!

Thank you very much...so far, it was a lucky find. :)

Good luck on the build!

Are you going to repaint it the original red? Or keep the black?

It will be something to think about but I think if I am keeping those rims, the black looks great. Otherwise, I am a fan of white or charcoal gray. Thanks!

Glad we finally got you off the ground and started with this build. I like the look of the short term list and can't wait to play with the long term, but we certainly have our work cut out for us!

Let's hope our current block is in good shape!

Well i've got ASA installed and picking my parts. So far, we are going all OEM tubings, bolts, gasket sets, etc. Did you suggest taking advantage of a Black Friday deal for the FP exhaust manifold?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back