1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Opinions on camshafts for 2.3 streetcar

Posted by johnierice, Dec 6, 2017

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. johnierice

johnierice Probationary Member

Joined Mar 28, 2015
    halesowen England, Europe
    Hi All, I have an evo 3 with a freshly built 2.3 stroker engine.
    I am currently struggling to get boost to hold higher up the revs.
    My fp green spools at 3500rpm(1.7bar) up to 5800rpm and then drops off to 1.4bar and the power drops with it.
    My tuner seemed to think the exhaust housing might be too small for my application but after talking to fp, they think it is cam timing. (The timing is correct and there are no boost leaks)
    As I am still on stock cams and cam gear I was looking to upgrade.
    What would you guys recommend?
    It is a street car so I'm looking for lowest possible spool but with power all the way up to 7200rpm.
    Thanks in advance

2. Ben-Stian

Ben-Stian Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2006
    NORWAY, Europe
    GSC S2 and Kelford 272 are used by many.

3. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    What wastegate are you using?

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    19gsx91 likes this.
  4. 2gjlc

2gjlc Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2008
    29 Palms, California
    I have a 2.3 running a HX35. I was previously running Comp 100s and the car would fall on its face in the upper rev range. Upon the recommendation of the guys over at English Racing I purchased some S2s and it helped a lot. The increased displacement helps offset some of the drawbacks of large cams. Spool was a little slower but not by much and it helped out a ton on the top end. I don't have a fair back to back comparison because I added meth with the cam install. I posted the dyno charts in the dyno section. One thing I did notice was that I was running about 30-31psi and it fell to about 28psi by 7200rpm. I attribute this to the BEP .55 bolt on housing I'm running.

Street Build 2K  10

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.109 @ 115.36 · 2G DSM
  5. jery1234

jery1234 Proven Member

Joined Jul 26, 2008
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I run my 2.3 with hks 272 all the way to 9k rpm @ 38-42 psi & don't have any problems with flow .

Attached Files:

968  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  6. Ben-Stian

Ben-Stian Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2006
    NORWAY, Europe
    HKS 272 was very popular a while back, but I believe there might be better options out there now.

@jery1234: What turbo are you running? Do you have a dyno chart you can share?
    Thanks

7. jery1234

jery1234 Proven Member

Joined Jul 26, 2008
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    My car is auto so no dyno but I'm flowing 85-87 lb/min@99 VE , as for the turbo it was pte 6466gen2 ,currently bw s369sxe.

968  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 1G DSM
  8. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Seems to me that your turbo itself is to small, not really a cam issue.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    2gjlc and Mello like this.
  9. Ben-Stian

Ben-Stian Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2006
    NORWAY, Europe
    Ok thanks:) With that airflow, it is pumping out some nice hp-numbers:) With that big turbo, some bigger cams like S3, I believe you could gain more Power. Are you using nitrous to spool converter?

10. Ben-Stian

Ben-Stian Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2006
    NORWAY, Europe
    Do you have the dyno chart to share? Is it the newer FP Green with billet wheel?