The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Opinions on 20G Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riopgtmn

10+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2008
NoVA, Virginia
Hey guys,

Just looking for opinion on a 20g setup on a 2G Auto

Car has the following by previous owner

20g on stock manifold with filter on the turbo
Wide OPen 3' Exhaust with Tial External gate
Evo 560s
MAF-T Translator
Hard Piping for stock sidemount
Walbro 190
Evo BOV (vent to atomosphere )
AEM WB Kit

My thoughts were:

DSMLink v3
Injen or Similar Intake w/ evo 8 MAF
ECMTUning Electronic Boost Control solenoid
The hard piping kit is flanged for a 1g bov, so thinking a crushed / dodge mod 1g bov recirculated.

Thanks fellas,

Looking forward to advice on the setup

• What are your goals?
  • What is your budget?
  • What kind of 20g are you referring too?
  • What kind of fuel?
Maintenance would be at the top of my list in addition to (aside from what you already mentioned):
  • Larger injectors
  • Larger fuel pump
  • FMIC for the 20g
Here is a good resource to you may want to review:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-dsm-upgrade-paths.486217/

Last edited:
Goals:

Not to change a bunch of parts, have a daily drivable level of reliability with some decent power

Budget:

I don't have a specific budget, just keeping it within reason. Nothing crazy

Turbo:

It's a tdo5-20g. Nothing special

Fuel:

93 / Pump

I'm not looking to make max power, I understand the injectors, fuel pump and lack of FMIC will be a restriction for the 20g, however it's already there and healthy.

The following maintenance was done

• Amsoil Flush of crankcase, Currently running 5-40 Amsoil
  • Amsoil Flush of transmission, On Amsoil Fluid
  • Flush of DIff, Rear End (Also Amsoil)
  • Cooling System flush, Thermostat / related gaskets
  • Power Steering Flush
  • Timing Belt / Water Pump with all oem parts
  • All belts
  • Battery
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • Plugs
  • NGK Wires
Car runs decent on maf-t, just looking to clean it up, tune it properly. If I find a nice ETS street kit, I may pick that up, until then I keep the hard piping for stock SMIC

Honestly, from your response, you are a better candidate for a 16g series turbo for many reasons. Even at that, you may still want more fuel. If you insist on keeping the side mount, you will want a larger one at that, with possibly meth injection of some sort.

Curious, What other kits are of comparable quality to the for the 2g that allow you to keep factory fogs?

I know I could get the core from ETS, and do custom piping. However I'd like a kit

10-15 years ago, you would have had plenty of options. These days, custom is the way to go. You don't need a massive core. You may be able to post a WTB ad for a kit. Something like the old school Greddy FMIC (18 or 24r) kits come to mind. They used the stock piping location so it would retain the fog lights. The drawback was the upper pipe went through the front crash bar, increasing the amount of piping and work to install the system.

On a side note, it is refreshing to see others being proactive on maintenance before throwing parts at your car.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Any others input on what to run, keeping with thats with what I had mentioned?

Just looking at what you have already...and assuming you are looking to keep costs down..here's what personally would do...

• Fuel pump rewire to maximize that fuel pump you already have.
  • Get the intake switched out, as you have already mentioned.
  • I would ditch the electric boost control, for a reliable manual...but to each his own I suppose...using the cost saving to buy a decent recirc BoV. I know crushed/modded 1g bovs have held decent power and others have had decent luck....I, personally, just wouldn't run one with a 20g and hope to hold reliable power....just my opinion.
Just my thoughts...

I think DSMlink is your next investment to get your car on a reliable tune before investing anything else in parts. Your biggest restriction after that will be the side mount. VRSF makes a great kit that's easy to install however, you won't be able to keep the fog lights. Most people just leave the bezels in the bumper.

Yes, I'll get an Intake on there, What BOV would you suggest for recirculation?

1g bov s work just sucks they leak around 15 psi at least every one I've had. Dodge modded they hold more but response is slow leading to some surge I ditched the 1g for synapse diverter valve. If your running a small compressor cover what I've done in the past is cut the bottom few inches off the stock intake tube and use a piece of pipe with a coupler. It's simple, cheap and works then you still have hook ups for all your pcv and bov tube.
I wouldn't upgrade your mas your 20g is not to large for it.
If your against going front mount or you want to put it off for a bit you'll be fine with the stock smic as the charge air temps of the 20g shold be a bit cooler than the t25 as long as your not maxing it out but it will heat soak fast a water meth kit is always a good choice it would help out tremendously and you'd be able to use it when you do upgrade later on. Get link ditch the 560s they couldn't keep up with my 16g on 93 I run 750s on my 20g. Ecm link is the number 1 mod you can do. I'm auto 20g in a 1g.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back