The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oiling a Borg Warner..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonalex92

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2006
Akron/330, Ohio
Im using a borg warner Gm-8. Yes it came off a duramax. Thats not the question nor discussion. I want to know where you guys think a good oil location would be. Head or OFH? I called chevy, the diesel tech I talked to said they are fed directly from a port on the intake and it sees anywhere from 10- 100 psi. I see no reason I cant use the OFH but wanted some opinions from anyone using a BW. Thanks!

If they claim the turbo can handle 100psi, then by all means use the filter housing.

Understand that some techs don't know what they're talking about- there are some turbo techs that think any turbo requires no more than 35psi of oil pressure. I should send all of the head-fed Garretts and Holsets which blow as soon as the boost reaches 22-25psi to these guys so they can rethink their statements.

I feed my BW off the OFH with the FP 0.1" inline oil filter and have a 0.075" restrictor in my inlet flange.

No balance shafts, relief valve porting.

Last edited:
If they claim the turbo can handle 100psi, then by all means use the filter housing.

I think he was more saying that the turbo itself sees a lot of pressure directly off the engine..Im not too sure. Should I run it off the head to be safe?

I feed my BW off the OFH with the FP 0.1" inline oil filter and have a 0.75" restrictor in my inlet flange.

No balance shafts, relief valve porting.

Roughly how long has it been like that?

Im using a borg warner Gm-8. Yes it came off a duramax. Thats not the question nor discussion. I want to know where you guys think a good oil location would be. Head or OFH? I called chevy, the diesel tech I talked to said they are fed directly from a port on the intake and it sees anywhere from 10- 100 psi. I see no reason I cant use the OFH but wanted some opinions from anyone using a BW. Thanks!

Which is it though, a GM-8 or a Duramax turbo?

The GM-8 is off the older 6.5 diesels and is a much smaller turbo than the turbos on the Duramax trucks.

It would probably be good to know for the people helping with the oiling.

Should I run it off the head to be safe?
Definitely not without checking pressure first, and probably not if you're going to be running 20+psi of boost.

Just run it from the filter housing with a .075" restrictor if you're that worried about it.

Which is it though, a GM-8 or a Duramax turbo?

The GM-8 is off the older 6.5 diesels and is a much smaller turbo than the turbos on the Duramax trucks.

It would probably be good to know for the people helping with the oiling.

Its a gm-8 that came off a 90s chevy truck.

Yes. I agree. It is stupid easy to check oil pressure and not even work you're turbo while doing it.

I know, I just haven't found much about these turbos in general. Nothing thats really that useful, at least.

Definitely not without checking pressure first, and probably not if you're going to be running 20+psi of boost.

Just run it from the filter housing with a .075" restrictor if you're that worried about it.

Well, the idea is to be more than 20 psi, and the restrictor sounds like a good idea thanks guys. If anyone else has more BW info, please chime in..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back