The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Oil smells of gas/running poorly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm2740

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2012
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
i have a 1998 GSX 125,000miles, with the stock 7 bolt, smic, b16g 15lbs, greddy recirc bov, manual boost controller, and intake. Stock injectors, and stock fuel pump.

My oil has been smelling of gas lately, and is watery. Doesnt smoke, runs cool, idles fine, but seems sluggish. I checked for codes and my front o2 was bad so i replaced it, new plugs, changed oil, and the smell is back.

it also makes a knocking sound time to time around the intake manifold area.Turbo sounds and feels like its working hard. i checked the turbo and it had *very little* shaft play. I'm missing one of the 4 manifold bolts and 1 bolt is broken in half at manifold to head. boost leak? no supporting mods? what could this be? im not sure. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got some exhaust leaks going on more than likely, causing the O2 sensor to read lean so you'll be running richer. Gas smell is from blow-by in the chambers which would be pretty bad depending on how rich you're running. Fix the leaks and change the oil. Do a compression test to see the health of the motor.

Check the vac line to the FPR, if the diaphram in the FPR is bad, the vac line will be wet or just a strong smell of gas.

If the diaphram has a hole or tear, the vacuume of the engine will suck raw gas into the intake.

This is best done just after fuel pump shut off.

Thanks guys for the help+quick reply I really appreciate it! Turns out the 'knocking' noise I was hearing was just a vacuum tube sucking in a lot of air on the back of the intake manifold,capped it and noise was gone! Hoping this had something to do with my car running crappy and oil smelling of gas. Engine does sound cherry now and feels very strong!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back