The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

oil filler cap FAILING

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkamus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2012
27263, North_Carolina
ok so heres the deal ive replaced my valve cover my oil cap with both an o reilly and an oem from factory oil cap my pcv valve my gaskets new vac lines to everything but im still getting oil coming from the cap when it is on ive tried 1 gasket and 2 gaskets any ideas?

or should i order an aluminum one from ebay?

Do you have the other valve cover outlet capped off or is it plumbed back to the intake as a factory one is? Ever wonder why they did that? Hint hint.

the valve cover was factory ordered from Vann York Mitsubishi for my car COST ME PRETTY PENNY LOL but i did that ### i knew i didnt want a problem but u can see where it comes out right under the oil cap it leaves residue and lets oil drop down into the spark plug bay its to the back side ill take pics if needed

If you still have your oreillys cap, pull the gasket off of that one and add it on top of the gasket on your OEM cap. If a double stacked gasket doesnt fix your issue you more than likely cracked your valve cover. It often will look like it is coming from the cap but usually it is a hairline crack down in the plug well portion of the cover.

Yep,the answer has been given, two gaskets on one perffably OEM cap, that's what i did, but also make sure there's proper venting for crank pressure, that solves a lot, I have to run one -8AN with a can that's vacumed by the intake pipe to the turbo under boost to not experience any excess pressure on a healthy engine (185 compression and very low leakdown % last time i was checking it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,the answer has been given, two gaskets on one perffably OEM cap, that's what i did, but also make sure there's proper venting for crank pressure, that solves a lot, I have to run one -8AN with a can that's vacumed by the intake pipe to the turbo under boost to not experience any excess pressure on a healthy engine (185 compression and very low leakdown % last time i was checking it)

Everyone seems to love their double gaskets. I just don't get it but maybe it's just because I don't see the blow-by that some of you 30psi+ users are seeing.

Either way I still think that it is important to be taking the steps to reduce/minimalize cc pressure before we jump to crimping/zip tying the dip stick and doubling gaskets that ought not leak in the first place. When one of my old inline g2 fuel filters clogged up the first place I saw oil was out the cap and into the spark plug well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back