The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Oil feed line question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello my fellow DSM addicts!!

I have a question regarding the turbo feed line. I have a 1997 Eclipse GS-T with the stock t-25 turbo. I was able to locate every feed and return line minus the oil feed line as that one snapped when I tried removing it from a parts car. Instead of trying to locate or fabricate the proper line, I found a pre-made brake line with the proper fittings that fit perfectly into the oil filter housing and the turbo itself. I figured that if the line could withstand a ton of pressure being a brake line, it could easily maintain the oil pressure. First I'm not sure if anyone has done this or if it will work, but regardless, that is what I did. Now after hooking everything up, the fitting of the brake line that screws into the oil filter housing (feed line) leaks oil. I'm really not sure why it does, everything is tight and again, I would imagine oil pressure would be easily contained given the strength of the brake line. So should I replace it with an aftermarket line or is there something I can do to keep this "set up"?

Thanks

Depending on your OFH, the threads are tapered, 3/8" BSPT. Assuming you used the wrong threads on the fitting you used, you may have cracked the housing.

Specifically, where is the leak originating from?

Depending on your OFH, the threads are tapered, 3/8" BSPT. Assuming you used the wrong threads on the fitting you used, you may have cracked the housing.

Specifically, where is the leak originating from?
I highly doubt I cracked the housing....though if I did I have two other ones. The oil is leaking where the collar that goes around the brake line to press it to the mounting surface.

Thanks

You have nothing to compress the fitting together with brake line. Get a braided AN line or have a hydraulic shop make you a line similar to OEM if that's where you're after.

Personally I'd do a braided line as you could tuck it as you see fit.

a brake line is also small. Brakes don't need a supply of fluid just a pressure change. You may have an issue with volume of oil also. Get the proper line.

As Paul points out, its not about pressure but volume. I would source the correct part or as Henry said, have a shop make you one. Is it the head feed line? I have an aftermarket turbo head feed line somewhere from a Fleabay turbo kit. If I can find it, I'll post up a picture for you.
Pops

A standard 1/4" inverted-flare brake line tube is exactly what the 2G TB2566 is fed with from the factory. It's possible something is wrong with the flare on the line but if it's leaking with 60psi of oil pressure imagine how bad it would be with 1000psi line pressure from a brake system.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back