1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Oil feed line question

Posted by John Miller, Jun 27, 2020

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. John Miller

John Miller Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2020
    Juneau, Wisconsin
    Hello my fellow DSM addicts!!

I have a question regarding the turbo feed line. I have a 1997 Eclipse GS-T with the stock t-25 turbo. I was able to locate every feed and return line minus the oil feed line as that one snapped when I tried removing it from a parts car. Instead of trying to locate or fabricate the proper line, I found a pre-made brake line with the proper fittings that fit perfectly into the oil filter housing and the turbo itself. I figured that if the line could withstand a ton of pressure being a brake line, it could easily maintain the oil pressure. First I'm not sure if anyone has done this or if it will work, but regardless, that is what I did. Now after hooking everything up, the fitting of the brake line that screws into the oil filter housing (feed line) leaks oil. I'm really not sure why it does, everything is tight and again, I would imagine oil pressure would be easily contained given the strength of the brake line. So should I replace it with an aftermarket line or is there something I can do to keep this "set up"?

Thanks

284  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Eclipse 1998

Eclipse 1998 Proven Member

Joined Jul 21, 2010
    ,, Indiana
    Depending on your OFH, the threads are tapered, 3/8" BSPT. Assuming you used the wrong threads on the fitting you used, you may have cracked the housing.

Specifically, where is the leak originating from?

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. John Miller

John Miller Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2020
    Juneau, Wisconsin
    I highly doubt I cracked the housing....though if I did I have two other ones. The oil is leaking where the collar that goes around the brake line to press it to the mounting surface.

Thanks

284  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. 91talonts1

91talonts1 Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2008
    Spencer, North Carolina
    If you used a brake line it was probably a bubble or inverted flare fitting which could explain why it's leaking between the line and fitting.

Drag Race Build 4K  15

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    rabenne likes this.
  5. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    You have nothing to compress the fitting together with brake line. Get a braided AN line or have a hydraulic shop make you a line similar to OEM if that's where you're after.

Personally I'd do a braided line as you could tuck it as you see fit.

Street Build 811  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

757  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    a brake line is also small. Brakes don't need a supply of fluid just a pressure change. You may have an issue with volume of oil also. Get the proper line.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  7. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    As Paul points out, its not about pressure but volume. I would source the correct part or as Henry said, have a shop make you one. Is it the head feed line? I have an aftermarket turbo head feed line somewhere from a Fleabay turbo kit. If I can find it, I'll post up a picture for you.
    Pops

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

1K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

793  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  14  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  8. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    A standard 1/4" inverted-flare brake line tube is exactly what the 2G TB2566 is fed with from the factory. It's possible something is wrong with the flare on the line but if it's leaking with 60psi of oil pressure imagine how bad it would be with 1000psi line pressure from a brake system.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

6K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM