The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil Catch Can Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murcielago

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 12, 2010
Central Jersey, New_Jersey
Hello.

I'm in the process of putting the 2 oil catch cans for my car, in this especific order.

1st: Valve Cover to Catch Can, from catch can to check valve, from check valve to T-Fitting on brake booster/intake Line.. (doing this because i don't have a nipple on the Intake Pipe & i don't want a breather on the valve cover).

2nd: from PCV Valve to catch can to intake.

Now im not sure with which brand to go to.
I want something really small for both setups.

I was looking into Mishimotos Oil Catch Can: Black Oil Catch Can, by Mishimoto

I would like to use 2 of those. But i dont know too well on their quality as i've never bought anything from them.

So i would like for you guys to let me know what you guys think of this? :confused:

Thank You:)
Murcielago

Depends on your price. Calan on here makes some nice stuff, along with Erbified Motor Sports. Custom catch cans that work, but then again, you can also prob get ebay catch cans and make them work. They may not catch 100% of oil, but they do work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your price. Calan on here makes some nice stuff, along with Erbified Motor Sports. Custom catch cans that work, but then again, you can also prob get ebay catch cans and make them work. They may not catch 100% of oil, but they do work.

Hey.

Well im looking for something real good, made to last and do its job, nothing like ebay's products. i have to find This guy Calan ive heard of before that his pretty good.

Thank You
Murcielago

Hey.

Well im looking for something real good, made to last and do its job, nothing like ebay's products. i have to find This guy Calan ive heard of before that his pretty good.

Thank You
Murcielago
He's not hard to find - he's the guy who wrote the article you said you read (the one linked above). I have one of his cans and it's very nice. The problem you'll find with most cans on the market is that they will blow oil through the filter and make a mess in the engine bay. His cans are designed specifically to avoid this. I've used a few popular catch cans and both have done this. I haven't yet installed his, but everyone who has done so has had positive results.

He's not hard to find - he's the guy who wrote the article you said you read (the one linked above). I have one of his cans and it's very nice. The problem you'll find with most cans on the market is that they will blow oil through the filter and make a mess in the engine bay. His cans are designed specifically to avoid this. I've used a few popular catch cans and both have done this. I haven't yet installed his, but everyone who has done so has had positive results.

Hey Ludachris

this is exactly the reason why i wont just put a breather filte ron the VC, but if you look at this Mishimoto one im planning on buying it doesn't have a breather on it so for this reason i will use a check valve and route it to a T fitting on the brake booster line. (check Valve so that i dont get boost towards the catch can), correct me if im wrong. :thumb::confused:

and the other can for the pcv system.. which of course i don't need a breather filter there.. :)

Thank You
Murcielago

As Chris said, even 'big name' companies with catch cans that are vented to atmosphere will push oil out the filter and make a mess of the engine bay. I've been combating this issue with my RRE catch can since September last year when I started running 30psi.

Heres Calan's profile if you'd like to contact him, his prices are competitive with the Mishimoto can you linked to.
---> DSM Forums - View Profile: calan

I think you're going to want to read that PCV system link thats been posted a few times above, the way you want to run it to the brake booster seems "janky" at best.

:dsm:

Hey Ludachris

this is exactly the reason why i wont just put a breather filte ron the VC, but if you look at this Mishimoto one im planning on buying it doesn't have a breather on it so for this reason i will use a check valve and route it to a T fitting on the brake booster line. (check Valve so that i dont get boost towards the catch can), correct me if im wrong. :thumb::confused:

and the other can for the pcv system.. which of course i don't need a breather filter there.. :)

Thank You
Murcielago
I wasn't running a breather off the valve cover, I was running a catch can with a breather filter on the can itself - with two lines going to the can. A line from the PCV valve and the normal breather line from the valve cover. This has been the most popular solution for years on these cars. Still had issues with oil seeping out of the filter at 20psi on 2 different cans (the RRE can and JM Fab can - the two most commonly used). It made quite a mess.

Not sure what type of baffling the Mishimoto can has, but if it has no venting option, then you're not really doing anything to effectively release excess pressure from the cylinder head. You'll at least want to run a return line back to the air intake with a filter inline to allow that pressure to go somewhere, I don't think the brake booster idea is the best. Do some more reading on the subject before you get to work on your solution. I would highly recommend calan's solution. We've had some really smart people do a lot of research on this subject. No sense in reinventing the wheel, might as well benefit from their research.

I wonder how efficient this is.
It isn't. It's a filter, so it's designed to allow fluid to pass through. It's not at all designed to separate oil from air, and then 'house' the oil. Some oil will always get through, and once the element becomes saturated, even more will pass through. And the saturated element will also become an airflow restriction, which will hurt pressure evacuation abilities. It might not be so bad if you change it out every week. I wouldn't recommend it to ayone.

weird thing is i dont seem to be getting any fluid through the side breather, i get it from the PCV, what would be best (in a stock configuration) to avoid getting oil into the intake... just put a filter on the pcv before it goes to the manifold, and keep the other one going to the intake?

only 2 brands you should really look at are either Calan's or saikoumichi

LOL! Just saying they are the only 2 i have seen that are actually filtered and baffled etc

you can read more here
Saikou Michi Oil Catch Can Tank Company

Can't believe I never saw this thread before urban revived it. I appreciate the comments guys.

Granted I'm a bit biased, but one problem I have with the Saikou design is the way the internal tube runs down into the can. With very little oil in the bottom, airflow becomes blocked and it's only path is through 3 small relief holes. Another issue is that their filter is nothing more than a type of steel mesh, which still allows sub-micron sized particles to pass through.

I have to give them props though for going to cheaper, thinner material to cut costs, and then having the kahunas to put a spin on it and name it "ThinWall Technology". LOL

Can't believe I never saw this thread before urban revived it. I appreciate the comments guys.

Granted I'm a bit biased, but one problem I have with the Saikou design is the way the internal tube runs down into the can. With very little oil in the bottom, airflow becomes blocked and it's only path is through 3 small relief holes. Another issue is that their filter is nothing more than a type of steel mesh, which still allows sub-micron sized particles to pass through.

I have to give them props though for going to cheaper, thinner material to cut costs, and then having the kahunas to put a spin on it and name it "ThinWall Technology". LOL

what are your rates? got pix of your product, i might be interested in one of these, since you ahve such a good rep for these catch cans:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back