The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Official Bench Racing Thread (how fast is my car/how much HP can I expect)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man I feel like a total DB now since my thread got moved to the Bench Racing Joke thread. I think I had a legit question. I should have asked if anyone has a Stoker with GT35R... What HP did you pull on the dyno. Not looking for speculation but facts. I understand parts are only half the HP process.

I'm trying to decide... 600+ = Drag tranny... Less than 600 = Stage 3..

Simple question.

:beatentodeath:
I would suggest you go to the dyno results section of the forum and sort by turbo and see what people made...but that section appears to be missing in the reformat of the forums, that or I just don't know how to find it now. It will take a lot to get a full 600 at the wheels, but if you have some beefy cams and an intake manifold to go with all that other stuff(which I'm guessing you do based on the stuff you listed) then that combined with the stroker, I think you might get the 600, or pretty close, I'd be surprised if it came out under 550.

I would suggest you go to the dyno results section of the forum and sort by turbo and see what people made...but that section appears to be missing in the reformat of the forums, that or I just don't know how to find it now. It will take a lot to get a full 600 at the wheels, but if you have some beefy cams and an intake manifold to go with all that other stuff(which I'm guessing you do based on the stuff you listed) then that combined with the stroker, I think you might get the 600, or pretty close, I'd be surprised if it came out under 550.

Talyn... Thanks Bro. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have a Magnus intake manifold and Comp2 cam shafts. I bought the car with a lot of good parts but every other component was blown up, broken, or not installed correctly.

I ended up going with Jack's Drag Series tranny and a new 4 spider center diff.

I've been working on this thing non-stop since March and have only managed to put 20 miles on it since the rebuild. My current goal is just to take the car down the road without an issue. LOL.

Since my complete rebuild I've had:

1) My oil cooler line blow a leak that nearly caught my car on fire. ( Replaced those with steel
braided lines).
2) The prior owner JB Welded the turbo coolant line into the turbo... That lasted about 9 minutes before it blew out. Had a local tig welder fix it up right and replaced all my coolant lines with High temp silicone.
3) Then my tranny broke.

I have to be close to resolving the prior owners hack work on this car.

Yeah, should be pretty close to that goal.
And I can sympathize, my car was a hot mess when I bought it too. Had half the engine apart the day I bought it to fix a massive oil leak, noticed the pistons had excessive clearance which made me immediately concerned as to whether or not the engine was rebuilt correctly...During that tear down, I found the turbocharger had massive axial and thrust play, and the exhaust manifold had a sizeable crack. Fixed those, Plastic radiator neck broke, a wire on the coolant temp sensor broke right at the connector, clutch started slipping even though I was told it was brand new, which it in fact was, kind of puzzling really. Replaced the clutch and flywheel, finally got most of the little kinks and such sorted, then my doubts about the engine rebuild that had been done on it by a previous owner came to fruition when it spun a rod bearing in less than a week of regular driving. I'm sure I left out a few issues too...but hey at least they powdercoated everything...

Man, and I thought I was the only one with this bad luck. You had a fair share of issues.

The seller told me this car was rebuilt and in excellent shape. I got it out of state and didn't have time to fly out and see it due to work. So I had AIM inspect it. What a joke. They sure notated every scratch and ding but overlooked the fact that the motor was blown and half the aftermarket parts were not put on right.

If I were to do it all over I would have just got a bone stock DSM with a good shell. Then built it from the ground up. For example, this car had a TRE stage 2 tranny... Not a lot of good if someone blew up the tranny before selling the car. How did that fancy tranny only last me 20 miles. Oh well. Now that the bugs are worked out, I have fun things to look forward to. Like tuning and hopefully blowing the doors off a few mustangs and corvettes. HA

in all seriousness guys how much whp with all the mods I have here are my specs

-motor-------
I have a 97 gst I have built a motor for it its a 2.3l stroker 6 bolt motor
it has weisco forged 6 bolt stroker pistons bored to 3.385 instead of 3.346 and a 8.7:1 compression ratio
stock size eagle h beam 6 bolt rods
6 bolt 100mm chromoly eagle crank
arp main studs and head studs
kiggly racing main girdle
evo 8 oil squirters
cometic head gasket
rebuilt head with all brand new titanium valves
-------mods-----
Mitsubishi 20g t3/t4 turbo
680cc injectors
aftermarket header with external wastegate
greddy bov
stm front mount intercooler kit
3" catless exhaust
and a tune from mac autosports
just give me some ideas on how much Whp u think it might be whether its over 300 or even over 350. thanks and im pushing 30 pounds

I know I'm a little late, but as far as transmission selection, I would be less worried about HP and more worried about TQ. I would probably put that threshold about 450ft lbs... Though I'll be running a TRE stage 3 in my car till it blows up.

Dominic, your injectors will max out at about 340whp...

in all seriousness guys how much whp with all the mods I have here are my specs

-motor-------
I have a 97 gst I have built a motor for it its a 2.3l stroker 6 bolt motor
it has weisco forged 6 bolt stroker pistons bored to 3.385 instead of 3.346 and a 8.7:1 compression ratio
stock size eagle h beam 6 bolt rods
6 bolt 100mm chromoly eagle crank
arp main studs and head studs
kiggly racing main girdle
evo 8 oil squirters
cometic head gasket
rebuilt head with all brand new titanium valves
-------mods-----
Mitsubishi 20g t3/t4 turbo
680cc injectors
aftermarket header with external wastegate
greddy bov
stm front mount intercooler kit
3" catless exhaust
and a tune from mac autosports
just give me some ideas on how much Whp u think it might be whether its over 300 or even over 350. thanks and im pushing 30 pounds

what fuel are you using with those 680 on race gas I would guess 335-375

So this is serious bench racing? I was just gonna throw in a how fast will my car be with the current mods it has and I lighten it by removing 4 jack stands? LOL Oh the jack stands are steel and weight approx 8lbs each.

Hey guys I have a 1998 eclipse gst with a, fmic, 3 inch downpipe exhaust all the way back, walbro 255, cop setup, and a big 16g turbo on stock boost running 93 octane fuel with stock tune. How much whp do you guys think I'm at? And how much boost can i run without injectors? I'm getting aic 850cc injectors, tactrix cable to tune, and a fuel lab fpr soon. Then how much can I turn the boost up to on stock internals? And what whp can I achieve with the stuff I have? Thanks a ton in advance guys. You all are awesome!

Last edited:
Sorry :s I just wanted everyones personal experience with the same bolt ons. Rough estimates. Didnt mean to look like a jackass.

Horsepower can very greatly depending on alot of factors including engine health. You can have two cars with the exact setup and both have two different horsepower ratings.

Every car is differant you cant get your answer here the only way you will know is do the work then dyno it and sounds like you havent done enough research if your buying 850 injectors and you dont know what your goal isstart reading there is a formula that you put your goal hp number and injectorsize to figure what you idc will be also read into that turbo and see what kind of numbers people are making if your aiming for a 5-600whp car that turbo will never support that much power (correct me if im wrong) but i think the max hp made on a 16g was roughly 450 and that was a full blown race car just built around a 16g and he was mid 10sec car and was deffinatly no pumpgas 93 octane

Sorry :s I just wanted everyones personal experience with the same bolt ons. Rough estimates. Didnt mean to look like a jackass.

16g on a stock tune, probably not much more than the factory car. Why do you even care about such a number anyway? Its just a number. If you wanna brag to your friends just say you have 500hp @ 50psi and be done with it. Or pony up $70 to $100 and get on a dyno. Do choose a dynojet and not a mustang dyno since you seem so bent on numbers.

Here's my rough estimate: anywhere between 100 and 250 whp.

Look for similar DSM profiles and check their dyno sheets and trap speeds. You might not intend to look like a jackass, but that doesn't stop it from happening. Crash pointed you in the right direction and this thread will get merged to that one eventually.

My never-completed-build and now never-will-be-completed build..
I'm just curious what you guys think it might have pulled if I ever finished it.. I'm about to part it out and recomp some money now..

BTW I'm.. that guy.. with the 420a (four of them)... sorry

Bored and honed .020
Wiseco 8.8:1
Eagle rods
Mopar/ACL bearings
Balanced rotating assembly
Ported and polished head
Full radius valve job
+1/+1 valves 36mm int/31.5mm exh
Crane 431-0018 cams
Crane springs and retainers
Mopar 2.2L lash adjusters
Fidanza cam gears
ClutchMaster stg.4 HDCB
Phantom LSD
DriveShaft level 2 axles
Star stg.2 turbo kit
-Turbonetics T3/T4
-Turbonetics Delta II WG
-HKS Super SQV BOV
-Star FMIC

Never got around to tapping the return line, the injectors, MS or PortFueler..
Needless to say the intake manifold is pretty much the only thing still missing off this mess but the project is scrapped now. Car has been sitting for.. countless.. years... I've gotten 2 more DSM's since this and never finished it..

So anyhow.. if I would have went with Hahn's PortFueler setup, and idea what I might have laid down to the ground ?

Last edited:
My never-completed-build and now never-will-be-completed build..
I'm just curious what you guys think it might have pulled if I ever finished it.. I'm about to part it out and recomp some money now..

BTW I'm.. that guy.. with the 420a (four of them)... sorry

Bored and honed .020
Wiseco 8.8:1
Eagle rods
Mopar/ACL bearings
Balanced rotating assembly
Ported and polished head
Full radius valve job
+1/+1 valves 36mm int/31.5mm exh
Crane 431-0018 cams
Crane springs and retainers
Mopar 2.2L lash adjusters
Fidanza cam gears
ClutchMaster stg.4 HDCB
Phantom LSD
DriveShaft level 2 axles
Star stg.2 turbo kit
-Turbonetics T3/T4
-Turbonetics Delta II WG
-HKS Super SQV BOV
-Star FMIC

Never got around to tapping the return line, the injectors, MS or PortFueler..
Needless to say the intake manifold is pretty much the only thing still missing off this mess but the project is scrapped now. Car has been sitting for.. countless.. years... I've gotten 2 more DSM's since this and never finished it..

So anyhow.. if I would have went with Hahn's PortFueler setup, and idea what I might have laid down to the ground ?
what are the specs on the turbo? You seem to have a pretty nice setup. And when you mean "Pull" do you mean dyno or 1/4 mile time or both?

what are the specs on the turbo? You seem to have a pretty nice setup. And when you mean "Pull" do you mean dyno or 1/4 mile time or both?
You know to be honest, the setup is so old that I don't know... It was the one that came with the Star stg.2 kit. I dunno what PSI the WG is set at either..
My guess is it's a .50 trim at about 10PSI.
When my build was complete I was going to be looking into running anywhere between 20 and 30lbs.
The car has literally been sitting up here in VA for 10 years. I just recently moved back up here from Atlanta.

I guess I was curious as to both.. what it might make in HP and what my 1/4m times might have been.

I'm planning on selling as much as I can off of this build (everything is brand new.. just been sitting) and slapping a turbo on my '96 DD.

how much hp do i make? mods, 19in chromies wrapped in discount tires, boost controller maxed out, ebay drop springs in front, 3000 watts subs, and full red interior.

I'll add in just because it's slow at work
Motor: 6 bolt 2.3 manley rods, wiseco pistons 9.0 - 1 I believe, gsc 2 cams, kiggly springs
Turbo: 67mm hx40 ts with a 1.0ar housing, on a shearer top mount manifold, 2.5 IC piping 4" core, 2150cc injectors, dual 255 in tank, jmf street intake manifold, will Terry and see what I can get with 93, hopefully ethanol stations start popping up FIXED

Last edited:
Okay so I'm gonna do a little bench racing here. Frowned upon, I'm sure.. But its only because I'm curious what I can expect when I track my car. I'm not looking to claim any numbers. Just want a rough idea of what to expect.

1G 6/4 AWD 5-speed
Walbro190
FIC 650's
Evo8 MAF
FMIC w/ short route piping
S16G with billet compressor and 9 blade turbine
Turbo back 2.5 exhaust
Evo3 exhaust manifold
Stock engine from valve cover to oil pan
ECMlinkV3
No weight reduction
EGR delete
AC delete
Tuned for 20-22 psi on 92octane

And go!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back