The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

OEM TOB vs. ACT/Aftermarket TOB (Explainedw/Pics )

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, I decided to make this thread to post my last experience with the ACT TOB vs. OEM TOB along with photos as to WHY NOT to use the ACT TOB over the OEM TOB.

Has your car started to make a TOB noise after a new clutch job with a aftermarket TOB?? I think I have realized now after replacing mine my self instead of a tranny shop doing it.

Now the replace tranny they got me for my GSX either came with a ACT TOB or the shop assumed that since I had the ACT clutch to order the same companys TOB even tho I did tell them to use OEM.

Well to my surprize driving my car to FL from NJ my ACT TOB was now shot. Gave it 2000 miles more the ACT TOB failed after 5k which is a long time for ACT TOB but not long enought. So in search of answers I came across this conclusion to the ACT vs OEM TOB.

Mine failed by falling apart on the rear backing plate, and then the tabs breaking off, making my car look like the fork in the follow picture installed in the car.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This I belived to have happend due to the design of the Aftermarket TOB. Notice the following photos describing some of the differences.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(All photos are from other users on the forums, thanks for the photos)

This photo shows the side by side views.

Now to start with the ACT TOB flaws compaired to OEM.

Now the YELLOW arrow points to the larger bearing used which now makes the whole TOB weight more and take up more room.

Now the BLUE lines and Circles. The blue line is the ring of alum. fingers that holds the plastic sleeve in place, these seem to fail on most ACT TOB allowing the plastic sleeve to more more and there for break.

Notice the GREEN LINES and YELLOW BOX on ACT TOB.

Now the GREEN LINES show the gap caused by this manfacture idea to sandwhich this TOB togather. These come apart, and with the horsepower we put down on are aftermarket clutchs this isn't a good selling point.

Now if you look at the RED BOX on the OEM bearing you can see the bearing itself is incased which doesn't just keep the dust and dirt out, but also keeps the TOB togather by folding tabs around back to the backing plate which is in the next picture.

Here you can see the backs of the ACT TOB and the OEM TOB.

OK, GREEN LINES show the size difference.
RED RING - Show the thicker plastic sleeve thats unsupported (YELLOW ARROW) unlike the OEM TOB (BLUE ARROW). This could be why this part fails also.

But as you can see from the back of the TOB the way the plate is scured to the rest of the TOB. The ACT TOB I can't imagine how the back stays on, just the plastic sleeve I belive.

Then you have the OEM TOB that has metal tabs and a metal lip hold the back plate to the how TOB.

Now that you have seen the pictures as to WHY NOT to use a ACT TOB I would suggest to only use the OEM bearing when doing a clutch job or tranny swap.

Below are photos of how the TOB should be greased before Install and part numbers for the parts of the TOB replacement.

Thanks for viewing!
Kendel/GSXeclipsePSI

INSTALLED TOB with greased INPUT SHAFT and correctly installed TOB with TOB Clip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOB NEW OEM

Part# MD749998 $36 w/tax Dealer/Satan
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOB CLIP (pictured) Part #MD706185 $3.00 (slowboyracing.com)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might want to replace/inspect FORK and FELCRUM Ball.

Part#MD719602(SBR.com $10)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part# MD770506 (SBR.com $62.08)

Hope this helps you guys out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back