The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ACT 2600lb Clutch Information

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had some problems with my ACT 2600lb clutch set, and I now know why. This artical is to help some of you in the same spot I was at. I was having problems with how hard the pedal had to be pushed and also problems with clutch disengament. The small and VERY important step that people miss when they install and ACT or other performance clutch is that the Step on the flywheel is wrong.

To further explain the step of the flywheel....The step of a flywheel is the part that the pressure plate bolts to, which is higher than the flywheel surface that contacts the clutch disk. The step is resurfaced the same amount as the clutch suface, to keep the same step.
Some people see the problems because the machine shop they go to is stepping the flywheel to stock specs, around .618-.620 difference between the clutch suface and the mounting surface, which works great with a stock setup. But the step for an aftermarket performance cxlutch is ideally .612, it may not sound like much of a difference but it makes a world of difference when it is installed in the car. This allows the pressure plate to flex at the points it was ment to, you feel the stiffness because the pressure plate is eithre not being pushed enough or is being pushed too far.

Some people may not experiance this clutch problem mostly because they had a performance shop cut their flywheel, or they went with an aftermarket performance piece, which is already cut to .612.
I hope this can help the people that were in the same spot as me, welding pedals, and buing parts that were not necessary. please email me if you have any questions...

Don't forget to specify the .612 step that you need to for machine shop before you have them cut your flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back