The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

OEM Oil Pump Manufacture

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyogie12

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
I've been reading around a lot and many people have said that mitsubishi don't fabricate their oem oil pump anymore. If this is true can anyone tell me which company it is now?

I'm in need of a new front case and have gone through locally and they all have scarred journals for the drive gear. I've also heard a few people say they bought a melling oil pump from a local auto parts store and it was oem in a melling box. So I picked on up yesterday but it doesn't share the same "g6k" markings as oem. It looks damned good, but its also an aftermarket pump which makes me weary.

The second question would be who here has used melling pumps with success or fail? And I ask that assuming you PRIMED your engine before running the pump. None of thise seized up after first start up nonsense due to running it dry. A bunch of the v8 guys swear by melling so I thought i'd ask.

Here is what the melling looks like. Part # m198
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks in advance.

Ive only used the oem ones, but if im correct a people do use the topline front case with oem gears, I had a few spares with engines I had, so I keep a few around, those were all oem ones, I cant identify a oem one from a aftermarket one. All the times ive worked on these things I never have heard of that brand or that Mitsubishi stopped making them. Its a front case so I would say if it fits, rock it.

Thanks for the reply. The melling looks the best out of all the aftermarket's I've seen. I'm probably gonna go OEM to be safe. No use in risking it on a fresh motor. Was just curious.

Yes I agree I got a sale on mine from extreme psi, I had gears so I just needed the front case, I did my bse years ago on my block so that was nice to get rid of while I was there.

I knew Aisin used to make them. I didn't know if they did anymore. I just wanted to see if anyone would chime in on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^

I've had the exact opposite experience. I built my 6-bolt 11 years ago with a Topline front case and oil pump gears and it's still going today. Balance shafts were eliminated with the correct OEM stub shaft and the car was never stock. It currently has a GT3076R on it with E85 at 28PSI. I call it the little engine that could! Stock 6-bolt bottom end with 2G pistons.

I believe they come with the helical gears, which is why people swap them to the oem straight cut gears.

Stock oil pump gears for 91+ are helical, it's not an aftermarket thing. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back