The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved NT flywheel and clutch with AWD tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo5Zulu

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2005
Holland, Michigan
Did some research and found lots of good info but not exactly what I needed.

To keep this short can a non-turbo flywheel and clutch be used with an AWD tranny? I know the fwd turbo flywheel is larger and I also know about the step heights on the turbo cars, but never saw anything on this subject specifically.

Just trying to put my car back together with parts I have on hand after grenading a tranny.

Also while I am at it do AWD tranny's have limited slip for the front wheels or is it an open differential? Sorry if this is two questions in one thread.

Thank you.

Yes, you can in fact use a n/t 4g63 flywheel and clutch with an AWD transmission. I have that exact setup on my galant. Only issue is it will not hold much power.

Yes, all AWD transmissions have a limited slip CENTER diff, the diff for the front wheels is open in all dsm's and could be one of several types on an evo.

Thanks for the reply! I do have the ACT 2800 on my NT setup so that is the main reason I wanted to give it a shot so that didn't go to waste.

Does anyone know if my LSD insert that I used in my fwd differential will work in this awd tranny?

Sounds like all I need to do to run this tranny on my fwd set up is throw my lsd insert in and weld the center differential so power can be sent to the front wheels instead of just all diverting to the empty shaft that normally sends it to the rear???

Nice find! Looks like I am good to go with the setup!

Just have to install my lsd insert into the tranny and weld the center diff.

Anyone able to comment on if the front diffs. are the same between a fwd and an awd tranny?

Also if I don't weld the center diff. will all the power go to the empty shaft that normally transfers power to the rear?

Thanks!

Yep, I guess, NT FW is the same diameter as AWD. (I suspect that Kyle had FWD turbo FW and thought it was an AWD, when he he couldn't punin his NT tranny).

But fact still remains, NT clutches use smaller discs, so they would not hold as much torque (all else being equal), so I am not sure that you want to use NT clutch on a turbo engine.

Sounds like the clutch and flywheel diameters are almost the same or only .5cm different between awd and nt fwd, but the turbo flywheels have the step that helps add clutch pressure. That is why I had to go with the ACT 2800 instead of the standard 2100 or so in order to get enough clutch pressure to hold up to the power with the turbo.

Still any thoughts on the front diff and center diff questions I posed above before I tear my tranny apart?

As I recal, it is actually 10mm (on diameter or 5mm on radius) and it isn't trivial, because the outside does most of the work.

I think I will give it a shot. All the outside really does is provide a place for the starter to turn the engine so worse case I would strip a starter, but since I have found a few people running this set up already I should be good.

The starter gear is fine. I am talking about the outer part of the clutch disc. The farther you are from the center, the more "leverage" you get from your friction material. Loosing those 5mm (on each side) makes your clutch less effective.

But it should work OK, as long as you do not build a torque monster :)

The starter gear is fine. I am talking about the outer part of the clutch disc. The farther you are from the center, the more "leverage" you get from your friction material. Loosing those 5mm (on each side) makes your clutch less effective.

But it should work OK, as long as you do not build a torque monster :)

You are correct sir. I just have these parts laying around so if I fry them I wont be too heartbroken. Then I will just have to buy an awd flywheel and clutch. :rocks:

The NT clutch I have is an ACT 2800 and has held very well so far. Well enough to strip all the teeth off my differential in my fwd tranny at the track! OMG

Update: It works! Used nt flywheel, ACT 2800 nt clutch, put my BM differential insert in the front differential, welded the center diff., And made a custom inspection plate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back