The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

No start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindset

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2009
Brunswick, Ohio
So I had my car started about 4 times. It idled at 3k. Found out the problem was the throttle cable adjustment. I did that and got the idle down to 1k - 1.5k. It was still warming up so once it sat for a minute or two I reved it up to 2.5k and the throttle stuck. Since no one was with me I just shut off the car. I think the better choice was to get out and push the throttle back but I didn't. So when I shut it off, it made a clinking/clanking noise and when I go to start it back up, it won't start. It is turning over. Now it's making a knocking noise, but the car never had a knock, I don't see how shutting off the car could create a rod knock. The gas is 8 months old, but it started previous times? So it has to be getting fuel and spark. My motor was just put in so timing is all right too. Any help is appreciated.

So it has to be getting fuel and spark. My motor was just put in so timing is all right too.

You can't make any assumptions based on what it was doing before you shut it down had had the problem. If you had worked in the timing belt while the motor was out the odds just went up that it jumped timing.

Turn the motor over to TDC and check the time marks before you crank it any more or spend time chasing other potential causes. Well you can make sure that the ECU is powering up but don't go swapping parts until the verify the mechanical timing. Once your sure the belt is right you can measure the compression and check for fuel and spark.

If you had worked in the timing belt while the motor was out the odds just went up that it jumped timing.

Boy did you hit it right on the head. It jumped. The crank is held up and I can't turn it. Probably bent valves.

Thanks steve.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back