The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

No Reverse HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2004
Muskegon, Michigan
I just bought a 1993 mitsu eclipse 1.8 sohc automatic last friday
YAY! (even tho its not a turbo finally i found a dsm for cheap,$400 bucks)

I bought it and the guy said it had a bad transmission,I towwed it home,Then jump started it. And to my amaze all the gears except reverse work...Now ive been doing some reading,And ive heard that the dsm's have a sort of "pump" for reverse or somthing of the like. Could this be my problem? When i put it in reverse it makes sort of a low-pitch squeeling noise. Very hard to explain the noise it makes. Can anybody help me with this problem? Thanks

by the "pump" i suppose you mean the center support right?
thats the thing with 2 o rings on the top.
before pulling the trans i reccomend that you pressure test the low reverse brake. the pressure should be 213 psi or more at idle
if you have 0 then possibilities are that the center suppot is not properly alligned or it is missing the o rings
if thats the case bring down the transmission and pop it open
(only if you know what your doin or have a great memory)

Originally posted by Rabbi
I just bought a 1993 mitsu eclipse 1.8 sohc automatic last friday
YAY! (even tho its not a turbo finally i found a dsm for cheap,$400 bucks)

I bought it and the guy said it had a bad transmission,I towwed it home,Then jump started it. And to my amaze all the gears except reverse work...Now ive been doing some reading,And ive heard that the dsm's have a sort of "pump" for reverse or somthing of the like. Could this be my problem? When i put it in reverse it makes sort of a low-pitch squeeling noise. Very hard to explain the noise it makes. Can anybody help me with this problem? Thanks

There is only one pump in modern day automatic transmissions, it is working any time that the engine is running.

If you have a no reverse condition, it is probably time for a rebuild or a replacement of the transmission.

-John

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back