The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

No Reverse no neutral after trans build! Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxthepersonz

Supporting VIP
Feb 3, 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
So my car just got the translab shift kit, ipt end clutches, Kiggly front clutches, restalled converter, Kiggly flex plate, etc. Now when I go into reverse the car wants to go forward same as neutral... the car also wants to go forward in park! What could this be!? I've checked, and double checked that all my wiring was correct. The trans is completely filled with brand new fluid, warmed up, and topped off accordingly.

I've heard end clutches could have gone in incorrectly? I'd really like some advice before I go tearing into it. Thanks so much in advanced.

You have to adjust the cable accordingly
Here's a picture for adjusting the cable

Very simple to check ,
you line up the switch body and the manual control lever holes while in neutral

Edit: nevermind just seen you checked that ^

Attachments

• LINKAGE 001.jpg
    LINKAGE 001.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
It seems to me that something isn't right with the shift lever or it could be in the valvebody. Are you saying that when the shifter is in Park that the transmission is in Park? If the transmission is in Park I'd have to say that the lever is ok.
Who did the install of the shift kit and other parts?

It seems to me that something isn't right with the shift lever or it could be in the valvebody. Are you saying that when the shifter is in Park that the transmission is in Park? If the transmission is in Park I'd have to say that the lever is ok.
Who did the install of the shift kit and other parts?

I did it with a friend who has done it before. Honestly I'm still exhausted after everything. Could be something very small that I didn't notice or it could be something a little bit more serious like a mistake in the valve body. Anything else to look for guys? I'll double check the linkage setup one more time but as far as I know I double checked it and it was all setup correctly. That's the easiest part of the whole thing :)

Sounds like valve body issues. Was everything spotless when assembled? Are you absolutely positive that all the checkballs are in the right spot and that your separator plates are installed correctly? There's also an O-ring that sits under the valve body that can ruin reverse if not present. Hopefully it's something minor that you can find easily. I would definately start with the valve body and shift kit as my main suspect.

Okay TalonKaos. I will pull it tomorrow and reassemble everything. Definitely spent a ton of time going through the instructions and watching the videos from IPT. I removed the end clutches and managed to damage a seal while doing so... Looks like I'm going to order another kit just for it cause I want this thing done. The end clutches were all perfect though I didn't manage to do something incorrect there. Any other input would be much appreciated guys. Specific things to look for? I saw the post about the orings as well. Does anyone have full torque specs for the entire valve body? I did them as best as I could with what I could find.

Valve body assembly bolts - 8 ft. Lbs.
Parking roller support bolts - 18 ft. Lbs.
Oil filter mounting bolts - 8 ft. Lbs
Oil pan mounting bolts - 8 ft lbs

Much appreciated. I'm trying to do this whole build with work and school 7/5 days of the week. Hopefully I can sneak 2 hours in tomorrow to get the valve body out and start inspection.

Sorry I have to ask,
Witch seal did you damage on the endclutch?

+1 on double checking that the seal on top of the valve body is present and not cracked or dry ,you'll lose reverse if this seal is gone or damaged enough

Last edited:
The small metal one with the rubber insert. Trying to seat it with a socket and it put a small knick in it, although it did go in fine. I'm just gonna have the local trans shop seat it.

The seal is on the top of the valve body and in very good condition/lubed up. Now I'm half confused. Could all this be from torque specs?

I'll go in my factory service manual and see what causes no reverse when I get a chance
And I'll also see if it says anything about moveing in neutral /no neutral

I'm getting my 91 auto f4a33 trans back this week from the shop
I'm hopeing it goes smooth other wise I'll be in a similar situation and I know how it is when your transmission doesn't work the way it's intended .
I broke my kickdown band LOL
Reason I got from the shop was that it stretched overtime and eventually gave way or it was adjusted improperly

Try and find a valve body for cheap I got one for 20$ from a local member
And see what happends

Btw how's the fluid level LOL

Oh an I'll be sure to be careful with that seal on the end clutch thanks!

I'll go in my factory service manual and see what causes no reverse when I get a chance

I'm getting my 91 auto f4a33 trans back this week from the shop
I'm hopeing it goes smooth other wise I'll be in a similar situation and I know how it is when your transmission doesn't work the way it's intended .
I broke my kickdown band LOL
Reason I got from the shop was that it stretched overtime and eventually gave way or it was adjusted improperly

Try and find a valve body for cheap I got one for 20$ from a local member
And see what happends

Btw how's the fluid level LOL

Oh an I'll be sure to be careful with that seal on the end clutch thanks!

The fluid was perfect I even made sure to check it in neutral at operating temp.

Let me know what it says. Putting the body in tonight so it'll be nice to know extra things to know for reverse.

Can someone confirm for me that the shift valve in the VB "floats" in the vb. From left to right it goes cover, spring, valve end, horseshoe clip, valve, another horse shoe clip, then the next valve end, and cover. Sorry these parts aren't labeled super specifically LOL

The only problem with this is that the FSM is not gonna tell you if your mods screwed up your trans. The troubleshooting data assumes everything is stock. ( Your driving down the road and you lose reverse..check these components..) but in this case you modded the valve body and other things so you have to take what it says and add common sense to it. It can't tell you what mistake you might have made. You have to go over everything you did and make sure it's all right. I hope this makes sense. I'm not knocking our FSM I'm just trying to explain it's limits as it applies to this situation. Sure check the regular stuff...fluid level..cable adjustment.. it could be that stuff. But you drilled holes in your valve body among other things. That's not gonna show up in the troubleshooting pages. I highly doubt your issues are regular failure/malfunction. Again I think it has something to do with your valve body/ shift kit installation. It could be many things.. I could be totally off but I'm just trying to save ya some trouble.. good luck

The only problem with this is that the FSM is not gonna tell you if your mods screwed up your trans. The troubleshooting data assumes everything is stock. ( Your driving down the road and you lose reverse..check these components..) but in this case you modded the valve body and other things so you have to take what it says and add common sense to it. It can't tell you what mistake you might have made. You have to go over everything you did and make sure it's all right. I hope this makes sense. I'm not knocking our FSM I'm just trying to explain it's limits as it applies to this situation. Sure check the regular stuff...fluid level..cable adjustment.. it could be that stuff. But you drilled holes in your valve body among other things. That's not gonna show up in the troubleshooting pages. I highly doubt your issues are regular failure/malfunction. Again I think it has something to do with your valve body/ shift kit installation. It could be many things.. I could be totally off but I'm just trying to save ya some trouble.. good luck

I went through the entire instalation a second time, I disassembled everything and put it all back together. All the springs, valves, etc are correct. Holes in the body are the right size and the right location for drilling.

Not talking about the manual valve the shift valve with the 2 horseshoe clips.

The "neutral-drive control valve" is next to the "manual valve" in the diagrams I'm referring to..it shows the order and positioning.. did you look at that? Sorry if I'm barely helpful..I'm using my phone in my car..

Also..your problem isn't that you have no reverse it's that you move in park and neutral..

It could be your linkage (checked)
Your valve body (checked)
Rear clutch
Rear piston
Park mechanism

Check those..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back