The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

No heat!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91_awd_talon

Probationary Member
Nov 12, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Ok here's the problem the car is not pushing out any heat through the vents when the heat is turned on I wanted to know what would cause this. The air that comes out is cold even when the car gets hot in the winter or while it's cold out like now. But in the summer when the car gets to the halfway mark if you turn the heat on it comes out hot like it should I don't understand this.

quick summary:

when cold out with the car warmed up no heat comes out not even if the car starts to overheat.

When hot out Heat comes out without fail...

Would the temp of the thermostat have anything to do with this?

It's wierd that in the summer it's pushing out hor air.
You can check to see if there is coolant flow to your heater core and make sure it isn't plugged up. or leaking.

A quick way to see if it's flowing freely, is to take both of the hoses that are under the throttle body (the ones that go through the firewall to the heater core) and test them with some compresed air.
When both lines are disconnected blow some air into one, you should see (feel) the air/coolant flowing out the other hose.. Hope that helps!!!
Good luck!:thumb:

A quick way to see if it's flowing freely, is to take both of the hoses that are under the throttle body (the ones that go through the firewall to the heater core) and test them with some compresed air.
When both lines are disconnected blow some air into one, you should see (feel) the air/coolant flowing out the other hose.. Hope that helps!!!

Never thought of that one, I have always removed the heater core lines and put a hose to them. Also, check your coolant level.

It's wierd that in the summer it's pushing out hor air.
You can check to see if there is coolant flow to your heater core and make sure it isn't plugged up. or leaking.

Why would it clog in the cold but not the hot? it doesn't make sense I know it's not leaking because coolant levels are good...

Never thought of that one, I have always removed the heater core lines and put a hose to them. Also, check your coolant level.

As stated above the level is good....

I had same issue with my car last winter here in Canada, turns out thermostat was stuck open, got a new one for like $15 and problem is gone, the return of glorious heat! LOL

Wait a minute, your car is overheating too? I would start diagnosing that problem first, maybe related and may not be related.
If you suspect the heater core is an issue you can use a laser thermometer to check the temerature of the 2 heater core hoses. If 1 is much colder than the other that is definately a problem.

Wait a minute, your car is overheating too? I would start diagnosing that problem first, maybe related and may not be related.
If you suspect the heater core is an issue you can use a laser thermometer to check the temerature of the 2 heater core hoses. If 1 is much colder than the other that is definately a problem.

No it doesn't over heat I misworded it I'm saying if the guage goes past the halfway mark there is still no heat in the cold. but in the summer when the guage is in the middle where it should be there is heat.

I had same issue with my car last winter here in Canada, turns out thermostat was stuck open, got a new one for like $15 and problem is gone, the return of glorious heat! LOL

thermostat went out on my 97 eclipse, it blew cold air no matter how warm the car was, only a few dollars so it was well worth replacing it

and I was also thinking thremostat as well I will replace that and see if that's the problem

Idk maybe we need some wisemen on this matter. It is my understanding that if a t-stat is stuck open then the engine will take forever to get to operating temp. Example is my 93 sundance blew a headgasket and while waiting on parts I removed the t-stat to keep the engine from over heating....I drove 38 miles to work everday and the engine never got warm, I mean never ever.

Your switch on the climate control pulls a valve open to allow hot engine coolant to go through the core be sure the cable is actually pulling on the valve you must take the radio out though to see the cable though. Now if that's not working it may be an issue with the valve or clogged some how.

CHECK YOUR COOLANT LEVEL!! If your cars at operating temps but not getting hot or even warm air through the vents you could be very low on coolant. Your heater fan uses the heat from the coolant to blow hot air into the passenger compartment..

Once again I have checked it 2-3 times the level is fine and is not the issue....

Your switch on the climate control pulls a valve open to allow hot engine coolant to go through the core be sure the cable is actually pulling on the valve you must take the radio out though to see the cable though. Now if that's not working it may be an issue with the valve or clogged some how.

But that wouldn't explain why I get heat in the summer.....

Start there, it's an easy test, and doesn't cost you anything unless it turns out to be the source of your problem.

Maybe when you turn your heat on, the car is just pulling in ambient air. Thats wy its hot in summer and cold in winter. I would think this is because you are not getting suffient coolant flow through the heater core. You should check to see if its clogged or leaking. However it could still be that your thermostat is stuck open which isn't allowing any pressure to build up in the coolant system. No pressure= no heat. If its not your heater core and not the thermostat try burping the coolant system. There are a few different ways to do this but the way that works best for me is to take off the radiator cap and let the car get to opperating tempurate. This will get all of the bubbles out. I know you said your coolant level is full but there could still be bubbles. So try all of those and get back to us. Good luck

check your coolant level it sounds like your heater core is not filling up with coolant completly and there is air in the air in the system i would recommend flushing the whole coolant system completly exspecialy the heater core and making sure it is full of coolant make sure you fill while the car is running so it will be completly full

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back