The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

no clutch after tranny swap???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
so i swapped my transmission last weekend and now my clutch wont work; the pedal would bind before hitting the floor

I went under the car had the wife hit the clutch and sure enough it was hitting the bellhousing.

I searched and searched and couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

when the tranny bellhousing broke it took the flywheel bolts with it so i had to reinstall the clutch I thought about changing it since it was off but it looked good and worked great prior to the tranny breaking.

the clutch fork is resting far left (literally against the bellhousing) without even hitting the pedal so I just pulled the tranny again today and everything looked alright :confused:

I will take some pictures tomorrow but what would cause this??
overtorquing the pressure plate causing the fingers to flatten too far??
bad pressure plate?

I don't get it cause it worked fine before

ya when i crawled under the car all by myself no one hitting the clutch pedal, the clutch fork was far left as if someone was hitting the pedal (all the way to the bellhousing literally could not travel more to the left without breaking the bellhousing) but the pedal is not stuck to the floor

so would air in the line cause the clutch fork to not return to its normal position?

another thing, when the tranny was still in the car I removed the slave cylinder and wobbled the clutch fork and it slide back and forth so easily it felt the same when the tranny was in the car versus on the ground

so when it happened to you, your clutch fork was as far left as it could go? and with the slave cylinder off should the clutch fork move back and forth (engaged/disengaged position) extremely easily?

I guess I don't get how air in the lines would cause the clutch fork to rest fully engaged even with the slave cylinder off

so when it happened to you, your clutch fork was as far left as it could go? and with the slave cylinder off should the clutch fork move back and forth (engaged/disengaged position) extremely easily?

I guess I don't get how air in the lines would cause the clutch fork to rest fully engaged even with the slave cylinder off

yes it should you may even be able to push the fork hard enough to the right, and compress the rod that way. i really don't know how this occurs but i dropped my trannny, and had the same issue and resolved it they way im telling you to resolve yours.

wow! if that is the case I wish I would have posted this before I pulled the tranny back off! but... i can now pull the tranny in 1.5 hours so I guess thats a plus maybe

thanks

If the fork is all the way to the left no amount of slave or master adjustment will fix it. the clutch, flywheel step or tranny install is wrong. Im betting on clutch or flywheel. Or a missing tob, seen that happen when somebody forgot to install.

If the fork is all the way to the left no amount of slave or master adjustment will fix it. the clutch, flywheel step or tranny install is wrong. Im betting on clutch or flywheel. Or a missing tob, seen that happen when somebody forgot to install.

no i remembered the TOB, It seems like to me that the pressure plate forks aren't pushing the TOB fork back to its normal resting position

You can always push the fork to the right. If can only go left until the tob touches the clutch. In your case it means clutch is bad, or flywheel step is wrong, or tranny isnt sitting against the block. Hydraulics dont come into play. Its purely a function of physical distances.

that makes sense clutch/friction plate looked good/not worn the pressure plate has a little wear where the TOB makes contact figured a little wear is normal I'll do some more checking tomorrow

You need to take the tranny back off. Check your TOB, possibly shim your fork and make sure your clutch/flywheel are good.

If your fork sits like this, its NOT a fluid issue.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

well what was it, in the picture above, is exactly how it looked for me, the fork was to the left, and the rod was pushing it to the left, Therefore my previous postings! not everyones situation is the same, so im glad we all came here providing different probabilities. Get back to us.

Thats why I love this site I joined a site for my trans am too but they are just not as friendly and helpful.

all the feedback is truly appreciated :thumb:

Now to the car: Like a true newb; with a lack of experience with clutches; I put the clutch disc in backwards :ohdamn:

I set it down a specific way knowing if I didn't i would forget and when I picked it up and crawled under the car I must have unknowingly flipped it.

so the TOB wasn't even making contact which made since with how loose the clutch fork was.

mistakes are how we learn but this is one I which I didn't do :notgood:

thanks to all that commented trying to help :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back