1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

New timing belt installed on 97 Eclipse GSX, now noise! vid included

Posted by Scottinalaska, Oct 31, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Scottinalaska

Scottinalaska Probationary Member

Joined Jun 28, 2017
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have done timing belt jobs many times before. This is my first on this 2.0T by Mitsubishi.
    After learning the ups and downs (literally!) for accessing each component, it was a successful install with all marks lined up. Both belts were due so it wasn't due to any failure at 120K miles. There seemed to be a leak on the crank seal, so that was replaced as well. Tensioner was pried snug, tightened, and tensioner pin pulled. Not too hard, unless there is something there I shouldn't have done. Both balance shafts are properly oriented (they are not 180 degrees out). But something is scraping! Listen to this if you can take it!
    Included a photo of the lower end showing all in its place.
    Thanks guys!

Scott

Attached Files:

2. talonlan3

talonlan3 Supporting Member

Joined Dec 16, 2013
    moline, Illinois
    Is the crank sprocket trigger plate flipped backwards? Not sure if it would rub anything.
    Can you locate where the sound is coming from exactly?

Street Build 336  4

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. asexton6969

asexton6969 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Is your trigger plate on backwards? Hitting the crank sensor.

Now that someone else said it, its definitely on backwards.

Street Build 2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    450 whp · 368 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  4. Scottinalaska

Joined Jun 28, 2017
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Well, the odd thing is if I put that trigger plate on backward, the timing notch would be way out of place (note the attached photo above). And I don't think it would start (crash some valves maybe if I rotated it to where I think it should have been (being that it was on backward). And..I actually tried it the other way to make sure it couldn't go on that way. It couldn't. But I agree, the sound sure makes me think of that plate.
    Thanks for that direction. I will double-check it, that's for sure after hearing from you guys.
    Any other ideas?

5. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
    Scottinalaska likes this.
  6. Scottinalaska

Joined Jun 28, 2017
    Anchorage, Alaska
    And luv2rallye wins the prize! That is EXACTLY what is scraping! I haven't even put the covers back on because I wanted to post the SOLUTION and luv2rallye beat me to it while I was figuring it out!
    With NO music or noise in the garage, I slowing turned the crank by hand and each time the trigger plate/tone ring came around to the balance shaft tensioner pulley (that was overlapping like it should NOT), I heard a slight tick. It was interfering with it.
    The new balance shaft tensioner pulley I bought was TOO BIG. I ended up putting the old tensioner back on that does not overlap the trigger plate (tone ring). With a gap, there is interference.
    I'll let the photos speak for themselves so we'll all be smarter. I want to be complete in my answer, so here they are.
    Thanks, guys!
    Scott
    tone ring rub.jpg back side of new tensioner.jpg comparison.jpg original with no interference.jpg

7. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Where did you get that tensioner? Is it part of a kit?

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    That's why you never listen Korean girl pop while doing timing.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Scottinalaska and BTKai like this.
  9. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I see the lip on the tensioner is larger, but looking at the position of the tensioner pulley, it doesn't look like it's adjusted properly. First pic of post #6, you can see the balancer belt is straight.

Edit: Never mind. I see the other end of the belt.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019

341  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

369  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  10. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    You may have gotten a pre 97 pulley where its lip goes on the inside (instead of the outside like you have installed, note that 97-99 lip does go on the outside but with a different pulley). Or you may have just gotten a badly designed aftermarket one which are common (they often sell same one for all years). I've even found different ones from the dealer in the wrong boxes which messed me up (but for a different reason than yours).

3K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    As a side note do not run your engine with the crankshaft pulley missing unless you want a jumped timing belt, yes the idler pulley can hold it in place but I have seen them jump off of the crankshaft with that pulley missing like that.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Scottinalaska and talonlan3 like this.
  12. Scottinalaska

Joined Jun 28, 2017
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Motomattx, I see your point running without the pulley. Thanks for the tip.

13. underhood

underhood Probationary Member

Joined Oct 17, 2019
    Avondale, Pennsylvania
    I have a 1995 Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC turbo with 60,000 original miles. I just had a new timing belt installed along with water pump, pulleys and all new belts. I noticed a noise in the engine area and after a few days, I drove back to garage to see if my mechanic could find the problem. When I arrived he checked under the hood and said your problem is solved. The air compressor for my A/C had seized up and burned the belt off. Now I have no noise and no A/C. I now have developed a noise at start-up that only last for about 15 sec and then goes away, I don't know what it is at this time.