The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

New Personal Best ET

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiggly

Supporting Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I've been fighting lots of problems this year and I still don't have some of them solved. The most recent problem is driveline-related. I will find the problem over the winter, but the result is the trans is sucking up a huge and unwarranted amount of power. I was able to get a new personal best time even with this problem though. The trans temp went up 100F during this pass (125F-225F) and the fluid is definitely smelling funky. This is a no-nitrous pass, FWD auto trans car, boost at 41psi.

60' 1.495
330' 4.096
1/8mi 6.213 @ 116.55mph
1000' 8.040
1/4mi 9.612 @ 141.96mph

Earlier this year I had a converter/trans combo that was putting power through correctly and I put down a 141mph run on only 27psi. By all accounts, I should be ~20mph faster at this boost, but there is a transmission problem keeping that from happening. Changes this year have included a new header and intake manifold to get better spoolup without sacrificing power. I'm also trying out some FP4 cams. I think I can probably go to something a little bigger, but these things have a super-hearty midrange which allows me to get the turbo spooled on the converter without nitrous and they're maintaining similar top-end to the huge cams I used to run in it. To jump the gun, since I know people will ask, this is with a Precision PT74GTS turbo (similar to a GT42) on a 2.3l with a 2g head, 28x10.5" slicks, and the race weight is about 2310lbs. There is a lot more in it learning the launch and getting the trans sorted. We will see next year just how much is still hiding.

I want to thank Precision Industries for helping me out with the converters, John@IPT for his help and advice, Wiseco for their help with pistons, TRE for their continuing support, and Forced Performance for letting me test out these camshafts. I'll do everybody some more justice next year.

Kevin

I'm impressed. Mind if I ask what turbo you're going with? Any other info about your setup we may know? Since of course your profile doesn't say too much :(

hybridshooter said:
read his original post for turbo info. Thats an amazing run! That car is an absolute monster, and I can't wait to see what it can do once you get the bugs worked out.

Oops, guess I accidently read over that. Wish there were some pics of this car to look at though :( Hope I didn't miss those somewhere as well.

kiggly said:
I've been fighting lots of problems this year and I still don't have some of them solved. The most recent problem is driveline-related. I will find the problem over the winter, but the result is the trans is sucking up a huge and unwarranted amount of power. I was able to get a new personal best time even with this problem though. The trans temp went up 100F during this pass (125F-225F) and the fluid is definitely smelling funky. This is a no-nitrous pass, FWD auto trans car, boost at 41psi.

60' 1.495
330' 4.096
1/8mi 6.213 @ 116.55mph
1000' 8.040
1/4mi 9.612 @ 141.96mph

Earlier this year I had a converter/trans combo that was putting power through correctly and I put down a 141mph run on only 27psi. By all accounts, I should be ~20mph faster at this boost, but there is a transmission problem keeping that from happening. Changes this year have included a new header and intake manifold to get better spoolup without sacrificing power. I'm also trying out some FP4 cams. I think I can probably go to something a little bigger, but these things have a super-hearty midrange which allows me to get the turbo spooled on the converter without nitrous and they're maintaining similar top-end to the huge cams I used to run in it. To jump the gun, since I know people will ask, this is with a Precision PT74GTS turbo (similar to a GT42) on a 2.3l with a 2g head, 28x10.5" slicks, and the race weight is about 2310lbs. There is a lot more in it learning the launch and getting the trans sorted. We will see next year just how much is still hiding.

I want to thank Precision Industries for helping me out with the converters, John@IPT for his help and advice, Wiseco for their help with pistons, TRE for their continuing support, and Forced Performance for letting me test out these camshafts. I'll do everybody some more justice next year.

Kevin
What a nice 60' time. Keep up the good work Kevin. Maybe we can see some pics of that beast in the Gallery at some point?

I could pull that trap speed no problems.....When you convert it in Kilometers per hour that is!! LOL. Congratulations for having one of the fastest streetable dsm's!

I don't think Kevin is gonna tell you his car is streetable. You obviously have not seen it. But congrats none the less Kevin.

I just looked at your dyno sheet. What you call "midrange" is pretty funny if you think about it. The powerband doesn't really get going til 7000 RPM.

Keep up the good work :thumb:

Ludachris said:
What a nice 60' time. Keep up the good work Kevin. Maybe we can see some pics of that beast in the Gallery at some point?

Done - there are now some pics in my gallery.

I think I have another 0.15s to shave off the 60' time very early next season. I had a couple 1.49's late this year and a few other very low 1.5's. I'm still learning how to get it off the line and need a different set of tires because the sidewall construction I have is very prone to shake. This limits how hard I can hit the tires off the line before getting into trouble. This was also verified by the GM team, who couldn't run these tires due to shake, and MT discontinuing them. Several chassis changes over the winter should also help the 60' time. I was happy with the 1.4's late last year though.

The power curve is COMPLETELY different than that dyno sheet. Its impossible to give a real power curve with the auto trans and non-lockup converter though. As it builds torque, stall speed goes up and you don't get a real picture of what the motor would do if it were locked down at an rpm. Suffice to say, it will now make 15-16psi at 5500rpm on the 2-step. I think full boost probably could be by 6000rpm. Its going VERY strong past 5500rpm. During the run the timeslip is from, I launched at 10-11psi at 5700rpm then saw 41psi 1.0s later. Not bad for a big turbo, without nitrous, on gas, with a manual ball/spring boost controller.

Also, to update, I found the power-robbing transmission problem and it was a big one. That will be fixed for the start of next year. It should get interesting very quickly!

Kevin

Those pics are really old. I'm still using the intercooler, front crush structure, and rear axle from them. Many other parts have changed since then and the car is a lot cleaner. Its pretty ugly in those pics.

I think a moderator has to approve my gallery pictures before they can be viewed. After that happens, check 'em out.

Kevin

kiggly said:
Also, to update, I found the power-robbing transmission problem and it was a big one. That will be fixed for the start of next year. It should get interesting very quickly!
Kevin

You big tease!

John

Nice run! Congrats on finding the tranny problem and that run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back