The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New Eclipse, No BOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornboy

Proven Member
Feb 28, 2020
Manhattan, Kansas
Hey everyone,
Just bought a 2G GSX a couple of days ago, but I didn't notice a few things until I looked at it a little more closely.
First off, there is no blow off valve that I can see. In fact, I'm sure there isn't one because there is no outlet in the intercooler piping for air to vent from. Secondly, the waste gate actuator and waste gate itself don't appear to hooked up properly either, as the waste gate actuator is hooked up to the pre-turbo intake piping.

That being said, as advice for BOVs and maybe a cheap intercooler pipe that I can hook it up into, as well as the hosing I'd need? This is my first turbo car, and I really can't find any spec on what would be required for this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes BOVs are put in odd places, and on dsms I've seen them put just after the intercooler behind the bumper, and in a couple cases on the intercooler itself...
Post some pics of what you have going on, specifically the intercooler piping and wastegate situation.
You could always have a welding shop attach a flange for a stock 1g BOV, or just put in the stock pipe the 1g uses to mount it (I have a couple of you need/want one), but you may have to neck your piping down and it would add more couplers (leak potential). Welding services right now may also be hard to employ.
Wastegate line needs to be routed to compressor or j-pipe nipple. And if you have a boost controller it will go between the two ports.

Last edited:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's pictures for the waste gate actuator, just in case someone in the future needs an idea of what not to do.

And here's the pictures of the piping after the intercooler, and there is no flange or anything for a BOV. In addition, the flange that would connect the intake to the BOV has been blocked with wood.
In any case, I'm thinking once this quarantine stuff has calmed down, I'll probably order a TiAL BOV since it comes with the weld-in piece, and just pay a shop to install it.

The recirculation is blocked off, the nipple on the hard Intake pipe isnt blocked off.
Unless the car is running 5 psi or less like seen on th alltrack celica for reference, it needs a Bov.
Like what the heck was the previous owner thinking.
I hope you get this settled once things calm down, and you get to enjoy your new purchase.

The recirculation is blocked off, the nipple on the hard Intake pipe isnt blocked off.
Unless the car is running 5 psi or less like seen on th alltrack celica for reference, it needs a Bov.
Like what the heck was the previous owner thinking.
I hope you get this settled once things calm down, and you get to enjoy your new purchase.
Thanks man, to be honest, one of the previous owners probably just thought it sounded cool with the compressor surge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back