The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

new clutch install no engagement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutKastGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
St. Amant, Louisiana
Hey guys i have a reputable mechanic here in town putting in my new xtd stage 4 clutch kit. and after getting everything together. he calls and tells me that he clutch won't engage and it won't go into any gear. he says maybe they sent the wrong part or something needs to behaved or shimmed. can't quite remember. i have also read that the master or slave can cause problems however he swears it is not the master or slave. could it be pedal assembly. or is there something you are supposed to adjust when doing this job. i am at a loss? Any ideas?the.

Also 30th post woot!:hellyeah:

I have a mechanic doing it for me LOL. Didnt have the means to do it myself. i will present him with what you guys say and see what he says any other ideas?

Bleeding the dsm clutch system can take about a whole bottle of brake fluid....tell him to keep trying LOL. ALso he can try to back bleed. from slave to master cylinder to make sure all air has been evacuated

i've had a mechanic put my clutch in the wrong direction on the flywheel. when i took it apart myself after paying a grip i took several pictures and showed his boss. i was reimbursed and they bought a new clutch. he ended up getting fired. but i was still able to go into each gear, just wouldnt go anywhere. tell him to look through the shift linkage, make sure the tranny is topped off with gear oil, 75w90. also bleed it til theres absolutely no air. best of luck to you. even when i'm busy with work i just cant stand paying someone else to do my mechanical work.

did he shim the pivot ball on the clutch fork. that can cause issues. refer to jacks transmission website the have alot of great info on clutch bleeding and proper adjustment

i agree getting the stock flywheel needs to be stepped is very important on install with an aftermarket clutch

You probably need to shim the pivot bolt. I don't know what clutch you put in, but that was issue when I installed my ACT 2600.
Yours is stage 4, so it's probably stiffer pressure plate.
Check the videos here:

Jacks Transmissions LLC — Tech Articles

Pressure plate stiffness doesn't matter at all. Generally a higher stage for clutches uses a different disk material or uses a puck style.

For ACT they do increase their pp clamping force while Southbend keeps the same pressure plate but uses a difference disk design.

Did you ever have the flywheel resurfaced? I just did a clutch job on a buddys GST and had the same exact problem after putting it all back together. We tried shimming the pivot ball and using a longer slave push-rod and nothing worked. It turned out to be the flywheel.

No this is a brand new clutch kit nothing has ever been used. so i would assume everything would go on with minimal adjustments. as advertised. but idk :idontknow:

I recently tried to install my Southbend Kevlar dic w/ ACT 2100. But my stock flywheel was resurfaced causing the kevlardisc not to engadge. Is the flywheel new? Step height is importent.

shitting a pivot ball might hurt a little bit..haha. Sorry i couldnt resist i saw the opportunity to make a smart remark.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back