1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Need Help Smoking Exhaust !

Posted by galaxycrowd, Apr 20, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. galaxycrowd

galaxycrowd Probationary Member

Joined May 23, 2019
    wilkes-barre, Pennsylvania
    hey guys been a while since i been on here so i got a dark smoke coming from my exhaust my buddy thinks its running to rich a few months ago my turbo went so i just got done replacing it with a 16g and replacing the exhaust manifold while i was in there so i think videos do more justice and trying to point out the issue so i will post the video the computer pulls up codes to fuel pressure regulator also my car idle surges when it goes to a high idle sometimes and then the idle goes down and up almost like im reeving it up also the o2 sensor for the downstream tripped as well any suggestions besides the parts im replacing this week the fuel pressure regulator and the idle control valve and o2 sensor for the downstream thanks in advance

2. kodylk08

kodylk08 Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 29, 2009
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Is the 16g new? Almost looks like blueish smoke which would indicate oil in the exhaust.

3. galaxycrowd

Joined May 23, 2019
    yes its brand new

4. galaxycrowd

Joined May 23, 2019
    you no what i think your right and i think i need to change out my intercooler when the old turbo blew the seals went and the bearing went and all the oil went out the exhaust i bet that intercooler still has oil in it i minds well just order a new one and change it out

5. kodylk08

kodylk08 Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 29, 2009
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hopefully it ends up being that simple. Good luck!

6. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Looks like oil smoke to me as well...not saying it's not possible for the car to be rich, but rich smoke normally has a "heavy" gasoline odor while oil smoke is a bit lighter in color and odor. If the head's never been off the car that's a good place to start, usually the valve seals are hard as bricks and the guides may have some wear as well. Leaking valve stem seals will also overrun the factory PCV system by putting more pressure into the crankcase than it's designed to handle and prevent the turbo from draining properly which can also cause excessive smoke and eventually ruin the turbo.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

6K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. DevineAstral

DevineAstral Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2020
    Irvona, Pennsylvania
    Maybe to a boost leak test for the surging and do a compression/leak down test to make sure it’s not a bad head gasket or bad rings.?

Street Build 185  3

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 238  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM