The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need Help Smoking Exhaust !

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxycrowd

Probationary Member
May 23, 2019
wilkes-barre, Pennsylvania
hey guys been a while since i been on here so i got a dark smoke coming from my exhaust my buddy thinks its running to rich a few months ago my turbo went so i just got done replacing it with a 16g and replacing the exhaust manifold while i was in there so i think videos do more justice and trying to point out the issue so i will post the video the computer pulls up codes to fuel pressure regulator also my car idle surges when it goes to a high idle sometimes and then the idle goes down and up almost like im reeving it up also the o2 sensor for the downstream tripped as well any suggestions besides the parts im replacing this week the fuel pressure regulator and the idle control valve and o2 sensor for the downstream thanks in advance

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is the 16g new? Almost looks like blueish smoke which would indicate oil in the exhaust.

Is the 16g new? Almost looks like blueish smoke which would indicate oil in the exhaust.

you no what i think your right and i think i need to change out my intercooler when the old turbo blew the seals went and the bearing went and all the oil went out the exhaust i bet that intercooler still has oil in it i minds well just order a new one and change it out

Looks like oil smoke to me as well...not saying it's not possible for the car to be rich, but rich smoke normally has a "heavy" gasoline odor while oil smoke is a bit lighter in color and odor. If the head's never been off the car that's a good place to start, usually the valve seals are hard as bricks and the guides may have some wear as well. Leaking valve stem seals will also overrun the factory PCV system by putting more pressure into the crankcase than it's designed to handle and prevent the turbo from draining properly which can also cause excessive smoke and eventually ruin the turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back