The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

need help fast, buyin an out of state car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy E

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2003
Syracuse, New_York
alright, so Im a new york state resident and there is a car for sale in Maryland that I want to buy. The thing is, I have no way of getting it back up here. I really wanted to drive it back up, but both DMVs are being complete @$$ holes.

What can I do? I cant afford to have it shipped and I was making the drive down tongiht my friend lives down there and is going home!

I gotta act fast! OMG

im thinkn about taking one of the plates off my eclipse and putting it on this car to drive it back up, but thats crazy and i dont want to go to jail, LOL

well....call your insurance and see if they'll give u a Temp Insurance card for the car...just give them the VIN...tell them your gonna buy it but you have to go get it. I drove my new car off the lot with Just a Temp Tag...No inspection sticker no insurance no registartion. In jersey if you bought a new car and get pulled over you have a grace period. I think the Dealer is Liable I'm not entirely sure. Anyway I called my insurance to drop my one car and add my Eclipse and they sent me a Temporary Insuarnce card until the dealer got everythign registred. And don't break the law when you drive it back and you'll be fine...Cops can't bother you if your being Good.

i got permission to drive mine for like 3 days from my insurance company and i got a card from the DMV so if i got pulled over i could show them the card and be done with it. but i drove all 5 hours home with no license plate and didnt even get pulled. i think there was an undercover cop a few cars behind me but he must have not noticed or just turned off :p

just go to the DMV and ask for permission to drive it home and they should give you a card or somthing

You need to go to Maryland's DMV equivalent. They will give you a temporary in transit tag that lasts ten days or so. That is how I got my Talon from Michigan to NY (obviously went to Michigan DMV), I even went through Canada with it and had no problems. You do not need insurance or even need to register it until you get back to NY. Hope this helps you out. You do need proof of insurance on another vehicle though I believe.

Wow, deja vu! :laugh:

My good friend and I just had this exact same conversation yesterday.

I (we) are going from Ohio to Virginia to pick up a TSi that I just purchased from a fellow DSM-Tuner member.

We're going to be on-the-road caravan-fashion this Saturday, coming back from VA.

Here are the options we talked about...

1) Ask the seller for his plates, and then mail them back to him once I got home. This way, let's say a Bear runs the plates, it'll check out. And if I'm pulled over, all I'd have to show him is my ID, my insurance, and my bill-of-sale and the signed Title.

2) Drive home with plates from my current car on TSi. This causes a problem in that IF the plates are run, I'd get pulled-over immediately for having fake tags. Although a later explaination to the Bear about the purchase, along with the above identification/documents would likely net my getting off OK, it still wasn't the best idea. Risk of getting pulled-over can be decreased by sticking to the speed limit and also having a following/trailing car behind you so that you don't get cops crusing up from your 6.

3) Drive home with no plates. Risky simply as there's no plate on the car. In some states, and you need to check with your seller's state's DMV/BMV on this, they will give you a temporary (i.e. cardboard "new car") plate that will get you home. For example, had I bought a car in Ohio, this is what the Ohio BMV would give me. The car I bought is in VA, though, and they do not have this temporary plate program. Instead, they give you a written permit to operate the car for a set period, thus allowing you to get home from where you've purchased your car. This permit is NOT obtained from your insurance company - but instead, from the state where you've purchased the car, just like the temporary tag is issued by the state, NOT the insurance company.

4) Trailer the car home.

Regardless of what you choose to do, you'll need to first obtain insurance for the car. Although some states will not require that you show actual proof-of-insurance for them to issue you either a permit or a temporary plate, you'll still have to sign a legal document stating that you do have sufficient coverage. Lying on this form would put you in a whole shitload of trouble if you even get pulled-over. You do not need an acutal insurance card or other physical proof if you currently have insurance with the same carrier, as when you do get in to trouble, your insurance company will be contacted, and as long as you've already worked out insurance on that vehicle, you'll be just fine. You can easily settle your insurance needs with a call to your agent, just make sure you have the purchased vehicle's VIN on-hand.

Hope this helps!

-A
:dsm: / :talon:

wow, thanks for the info guys, it is really appreciated! :thumb:

the thing is, its a private seller. Also, I called the maryland DMV and they were being total jerks, saying that i need to be a resident of maryland to get the temporary tag. (WTF?)

Is this crap? I have like 7 hours to get all this done before we leave!!! OMG OMG

DAMMIT!!!!! The guy already has someone buying the car, I just called him again.

Blah, this sucks :thumbdown

oh well, thanks for all your help anyway guys :cool:

maryland dmv has a website, check it out.

Its impossible that you can't take a car out of maryland.

Yeah...

http://mva.state.md.us/

I drove my car home with my friend's 93 TSI AWD tags... :shhh:

I also had a friend driving behind me just to be safe.

Almost got caught, there was a state trooper right behind me. Thought he would run my plates, but nope. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back