The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My southbend clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRand

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2004
Toronto, Ontario_Canada
well, looks like I might have a problem with my clutch.

When I had it installed, there was a rattling that I was experiencing.

Well after looking at it, it seems that the centering device thats between the backside of the clutch and the crank is rattling.

On the OEM style clutch this peice was already in the clutch design and not a seperate removeable peice.

Anyone got any ideas?

Manufacturing defect, perhaps? OMG SBC should take care of it. If not, PM me.

yeah andy is helping me out giving me some tips before I have the shop put it back on (warrantied over there) He seems like a stand up guy.

Very common. The stock piece does come out as well on both stock clutches and spec clutches. Its just a pressed in plate that keeps dust ect out. It doesn actually center the input shaft, there is no Pilot Bearing in there. Very easy to remedy. Either leave it out or bend the lock tabs out and tap the plate back into its groove.

Terry

Okay so Here is the update.

My transmission shop ordered a stock Luke performance OEM clutch, and showed me how the that silver metal cover in the middle of the back of the clutch is supposed to be pressed in and not move.

The plate on the southbend clutch vibrates on the crankshaft when the car is rivited to the flexplate during opperation.

They tried it w/out the plate and they said it just made things worse.

I'm just curios because it doesn't seem to me that this clutch can be centered up perfectly on the flexplate with only four bolts.

Here is some pictures to document what I'm talking about, the first is the OEM clutch and notice the plate is pressed in and cannot be removed by hand or even turn a little bit, and the second set of pics are the southbend clutch where the plate can be moved and scorched the inner ring of the whole it is inserted into it.

Attachments

• CIMG0327.jpg
    CIMG0327.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 400
  • CIMG0328.jpg
    CIMG0328.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 404
  • CIMG0330.jpg
    CIMG0330.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 416
  • CIMG0333.jpg
    CIMG0333.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 394
What'd SBC have to say about this?

Nothing as of yet, Andy is out of town, and his son John had gone home for the day by the time I called them back (east coast time vs pacific time).

the other guy woody doesn't really deal with the import stuff, so I figured he couldn't say anything official. He did tell that they make their clutches to order.

Yeah, they make them in-shop.

This interests me. Keep us updated, please.

Yeah I will guys, I don't think I'd question Andy's willingness to help out, I just think there has been a descrepency between what is needed and what is not. If SBC and others like Terry are saying that you don't need that dust sheild and my shop is saying that it doesn't work right without it and it doesn't work right with it in, then maybe there is something else wrong with the clutch.

The transmission is fine because It works perfectly with the other clutch.

I dunno you guys tell me, do you think that four bolts are suffecient enough to center the clutch?

Hopefully I'll have some solid answers this coming week.

I'm going to go with Terry, and the clutch pro's at SBC. I can't imagine what you would need the centre cover for.

I dunno you guys tell me, do you think that four bolts are suffecient enough to center the clutch?

I think so... I don't see how the engineers who designed this clutch would rely on anything but the four bolts to center it.

You got the other clutch in there. You got time. Just wait and talk to Andy himself.

As for the dust cover and centering, the four bolt holes and the input shaft will center up the clutch.
MB

Update:
I'm overnighting my clutch back to Indiana for John (andy's son) to take a look at and/or dissasemble the clutch at press in that plate at no cost to me other than shipping.

Thats top rate customer service.

I hope you get your Eclipse back on the road soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back