The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
i think i lost my clutch. my car smells bad when at idle. also i cant shift at all when it is on. i didn't drive it to hard today or anything. i can shift it when it is off but when i turn it on with the pedel in it rolls like in gear. this means i blew my clutch right? could it be something else? please help. thanks
sam

If the clutch is not slipping, you may need to look at your slave cylinder to see if it has a leak. Usually when a clutch goes, the complaint is the engine revvs away from the transmission. I'd look at hydraulics first. You can always pull the transmission when you have nothing else going on. :D

Take care.

update!!!!! i went outside and froze. but my pedal is so soft now. also i looked in that small driverside reservoir and it is bone dry. i am assuming that is mtx fluid? so that must mean i have a leak but i have not noticed one and i am pretty observant about leaks and stuff. someone got a writeup on filling up my tranny? i know to use only dealer fluid. where are common leak spots too? could it be a problem other than a leak?

That little reservoir is your clutch reservoir. You have a leak in your clutch hydraulics. Most likely the slave cylinder, but is not limited to it. Look for leaks in and around the slave cylinder and master cylinder. If you can't find it, look inside by the pedal too.

Any other opinions? Grumble Grumble.

my guess would be master cyl. if you where leaking from the slave it wold be dripping on the ground. master might leak down the firewall and pool on top of trany, so it might not make it to the ground, but yeah it definitely seems to be a fluid problem

wow it's cold outside!!!!! well i put some dot 3 fluid into the clutch system and after i pumped it with the car on it shifted. then i let it idle and it would not shift again. pumped it again and it shifted. fluid did not go down to much though. didn't see a leak so i am guessing it is in the slave and going into the hellhousing. any guesses?????

selmerguy said:
wow it's cold outside!!!!! well i put some dot 3 fluid into the clutch system and after i pumped it with the car on it shifted. then i let it idle and it would not shift again. pumped it again and it shifted. fluid did not go down to much though. didn't see a leak so i am guessing it is in the slave and going into the hellhousing. any guesses?????

You just expect to put fluid into the reservoir and have it work? You need to bleed the clutch and in order to do that you need access to the slave cylinder. When you look at the slave when you are bleeding the clutch, check for leaks because if it leaks anywhere in that hydraulic line, you'll be doing the bleeding again very shortly.

I have the same problem i can shift it and all but doesnt move but the reason for mine is i blew the tranny housing because the asshole tranny shop forgot to put something in there to keep a pin from rockin around and they wont fix it so it sucks LOL :talon:

Talon5786 said:
I have the same problem i can shift it and all but doesnt move but the reason for mine is i blew the tranny housing because the asshole tranny shop forgot to put something in there to keep a pin from rockin around and they wont fix it so it sucks LOL :talon:
sue their asses :rocks:

Selmerdo0d,

Take a flashlight and look up under the dash above the clutch pedal like the Tech said. A lot of time, the 2GNTs will lose their clutch master seal and it will leak out into the cabin over time. Clutch pedal will get soft, as in engaging WAY low on the floor before you lose it completely. This leak inside the cabin is a good sign that your problem will be an easy fix!

Napa sells both a complete master and a $16 rebuild kit. You can pull the master in about 15 minutes (requires working under tha dash and in the bay - 2 nuts and a clip). Then take it inside and rebuild it where it's warm. (It will be messy, so set up a work area to do it.)

You also want to look at the slave cylinder while you're at it. In MY case, it was the rubber boot that goes around the shaft that tore and would not fully retract the shaft when I let off the clutch. Perhaps not so much a problem as the master taking a shit on me too, but it made for a bit more work than I wanted to do on the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. :p

Then, once you have rebuilt the master (if it's needed) and replaced the slave (if it's needed), you will have to get a hand and bleed that system before it will work right.

You can do it.

so i was beating myself silly trying to find a leak. i looked at the whole system and found nothing. i bled the system and the clutch works fine now. i have been driving around for a few days and the fluid level is the same. how is this possable????? silly dsm owner :tease:

selmerguy said:
so i was beating myself silly trying to find a leak. i looked at the whole system and found nothing. i bled the system and the clutch works fine now. i have been driving around for a few days and the fluid level is the same. how is this possable????? silly dsm owner :tease:
Anything is possible when you misspell possible. :p

Are you sure you checked the entire system? Take a flashlight under the dash to see if the master is leaking inside the cabin? WTF

dr1665 said:
Anything is possible when you misspell possible. :p

Are you sure you checked the entire system? Take a flashlight under the dash to see if the master is leaking inside the cabin? WTF
dood..... can you tell i was blasted when i wrote that. got to love the corona. but i looked everywhere and no leak. checked my level today after work and it is still the same.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back