The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

My Project DSM Part2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu29

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2005
Northridge, California
Ok got a new motor, put it in, ran it and found out i had a fuel leak! But thats ok i fixed it! But i have broken turbo seals which means my stock intercooler is FULL of oil! anyways i have some questions fer youse guys. 1) Would it be better to rebuild my turbo or just get a new one? If i have to get a new one would the EVO 16g turbo be a nice addition? and is it compatiable with my stock exhaust manifold(whichever)? also would i have to buy an upgraded intercooler? thanks in advance and man my car is almost back i can almost hear all my 'planned' mods!

yes the evo3 16g will be a nice upgrade and it will bolt to your stock exhaust manifold and your o2 housing just fine. only difference is you will need the install kit you can find at www.slowboyracing.com

stock intercooler will work on that turbo, provided you keep lower boost levels like 15psi or lower.

id recommend a fmic (www.johnnyracecar.com)

but keep it at stock boost untill you have all supporting mods (play it safe! LOL
fuel pump, injectors, boost gauge, some form of tuning/logging combo, new BOV, full turbo back exhaust

Ok that sounds great now i would like to know if i would need an intercooler if i get the Greddy turbo Upgrade kit(i like Greddy hehe), also what exactly does the Greddy Kit come with? i know the evo16g is a common upgrade but im just weighing all my options and these two kits are the one i am looking to get, not askin gwhich is better just asking if i would need an intercooler kit if i get the Greddy kit?

I would just go with the 16g. It will be much cheaper and worth it in the long run. You don't need to upgrade your intercooler until you upgrade everything else. Fuel, intake...other things like that. It won't be money well spent until you upgrade the rest of your car. Greddy is another one of those companies that makes good products...but because of there reputation they can charge more than other people for the same stuff because of the name Greddy. yes the turbo will bolt right up to your manifold and I recommend porting your stock manifold as well. Great upgrade for 2g cars. So in short terms you won't need an intercooler yet. I have ran mid-high 12's on my 16g on the stock sidemount with a "custom homemade" intercooler spray kit to keep temp's down at time's.

Like was said up there, there's really no reason to buy the kit. You can get better components separately for a lot cheaper. With those "kit"s you're more paying for the name. Just like the HKS kit. Go ahead and clean out your intercooler, and do all the molding cutting mods to get some more air through there. and if you really wanted, you could pick up the supra SMIC for 50-60 bucks pretty much anywhere. But focus more on fuel and tuning, so that when you do go to a front-mount, you're prepared. :thumb:

J

Oh yeah is the evo3 16g kit street legal? i m just wondering as im trying to stay as legal as mods can get(no flames please) cuz i know the greddy kit is legal

mitsu29 said:
Oh yeah is the evo3 16g kit street legal? i m just wondering as im trying to stay as legal as mods can get(no flames please) cuz i know the greddy kit is legal

it looks like your stock turbo. get the evo III turbo. make sure to get new gaskets. you might want to consider porting out your exhaust manifold, o2 housing.

if you ever get any piping that is colorful just paint it flat black.

You'll need more than "just" the Evo if you get it in order to make it run properly, safely, efficiently. After totaling things up though you'd be better to do it that way. I see the Greddy kit as a big waste because your definitely not getting the most bang for the buck. I mean I'm not dogging the kit or anything I'm sure it's nice and all but you can get alot more things for the same if not less that are of equal or greater quality.

SCO has the Greddy Kit listed for $1724.99

SBR 2G Complete Kit [Turbo/Install Kit/Headers] $1000.00 [SBR]
FIC FPR Kit $220.00 [FIC]
FIC 550s $280.00 [FIC]
Walbro 190 or 255 $100.00 [SBR]
K&N FIPK $110.00 [SBR]
Pocketlogger $120-250.00 [Tuners/Ebay]
SAFC 2 $220 [Ebay] to 350 [Retail]
~$2000 - 2310.00

Take out the headers [~250 and it's pretty close]

I'd go this way by creating my own kit, but whatever your decision; it's better than stock :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back