The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

my first attempt at an intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastJetta

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2009
edmond, Oklahoma
so this was my first project in aluminum. i welded a couple of test pieces of aluminum to try and get the feel for it and then dived in with both feet :)

its for a 4g63 and i know manifold arent that expensive but i wanted to make my own and i did it weirdly and most wont like it but i like to be different.

stared with a stock manifold

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

chopped off the runner

removed all the extra brackets and unsused sections

chopped out the the part where the runners gonna fit

threw it on my bridgeport and machined it out a bit.

befor

after

then started welding er up.

SIDE NOTE, i had a bug land in my bead as i was welding, teach me to weld a night with the garage door open LOL

couple of weld close ups (have only been welding aluminum for about 2 weeks now so i got a lot to learn but its coming along pretty quick and im seeing great improvement every time i touch the torch.

all put together.

on the car

used my the mill to make a throttle body flange to couple it to a 76 mm GM throttle body

Some finished pictures

At first I was like, "what the hell is going on?" But as I kept scrolling down I was surprised. Looks pretty sick dude, good work and good luck with the rest. Keep us updated!

haha thanks fellers... yeah its deff a funky monstrosity but i tried to be pretty air flow consious when building it, there are no sharp turns or constrictions in it and everything is smoothed and tapered inside.

the plenum volume is pretty huge but the runner length is very short so it might loose a bit down low but i think it will flow awesome up top.

and yes i really would like to compare it to a stock vs the dejon i have vs this one. only issue is this one runs a 3" gm tb and the others have to run the stock 2.5 which might mess with the numbers a tad.

and yes i really would like to compare it to a stock vs the dejon i have vs this one. only issue is this one runs a 3" gm tb and the others have to run the stock 2.5 which might mess with the numbers a tad.

Well, since you have the knowledge to make this. I think you would be capable of making an adaptor for a stock tb!! ;) :thumb:

WOW! that's rather odd looking but in a great way, being a fab guy myself i have to give you an A+ in all categories on this one. I'm really interested in seeing more of how the milled OEM manifold is formed into the fabbed up parts, i'd love to see enough pics to get a 3d metnal image giong (not that i would copy it but the enginuity is well worth wanting to see all aspects of)

kudos to you for thinking outside the box (by a long shot at that LOL) but also for make a cool looking and hopefully nice performing intake manifold!!!!!! polsh that baby up and you'll never hear an end to the questions of "where you get it" what brand is it" etc..etc... :D

hahaha. thanks man.

yeah when i get back home (on vacation now) i will snap a ton of pics from various angles so you can see it all and if you made the same thing or any variation of it i would not be upset in any color. i would be flaterred :).

there are deff a couple areas i would change or alter if i made another one but im gonna see how this one performs before i even consider making a MRKII version.

the nicest part of this thing is its CHEAP to make if you have the welding abilities. A nice aluminum intake manifold flange is like 150 bucks... i probably have less then 30 bucks in materials into this manifold and stock mani's are everywhere and are cheap. SO if this makes decent power it could be a cool cheap option for people who cant afford a magnus but want an aftermarket mani.

Looks good man, as Glenn said its nice to see others thinking outside the box ;)

Kind of reminds me of the intake manifolds the 240 guys run the way it curves. I would automatically assume that it would help airflow. You have great skills, and equipment! it seems it would have been alot easier for you to just make it from scratch though , get a flange make the runners.

WOW!, I love how creative people get on this site. Looks amazing and I like how the TB is on that angle so the intercooler pipe (elbow) doesn't have to be such a harsh angle (90degrees).

+2 for the dyno/results.:thumb:

Kind of reminds me of the intake manifolds the 240 guys run the way it curves. I would automatically assume that it would help airflow. You have great skills, and equipment! it seems it would have been alot easier for you to just make it from scratch though , get a flange make the runners.

i had an aftermarket dejon intake manifold on it already but i wanted to build my own just for fun but i didn't feel like spending 150 bucks just for an intake manifold flange then another 1-200 in materials to do it the way i would have wanted...

instead i chopped my stock one that was laying around and used less then 30 dollars in sheet aluminum...

so yes, it would have been easier and would have looked more traditional if i woulda used new everything...

but it would been way more money and would have looked like everyone else's manifold.

Looks good Josh, Would love to see what kind of numbers it will make vs stock. Didnt see if you said it but what thickness is the material you used? Any concerns with bursting?

Hows the Auto swap coming also?

sorry to bring back an old thread but here is kind of a finished pic with the throttle body and throttle cable all hooked up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'f I am being honest, after the first couple of pics I thought you were a dumb ass. But mid way down I was really impressed. Turned out looking really good and unique. Would love to see a dyno comparison.

Pretty sweet looking. I love how you angled the TB.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back