The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

My 99 awd gst project/nightmare

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Yooper

Probationary Member
Apr 30, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
Alright so everybody brace yourself, this is going to be a long post. So since I turned 16 I've been driving an $800 Buick Regal (Gran Sport I might add) that my dad also drove for two years previously. It's been reliable as hell but I've always thought the 2g eclipses were one of the best looking cars out there. So now that I turned 18 I set out with a $5000 budget. I really wanted a gsx but that'd be pushing the budget. So instead I found a 99 gst converted to awd for only $2300!

But there's always a catch. The car has some rust, nothing crazy, but in need of attention. But the rust isn't the problem. The previous owner(s) seems to have known nothing about working on cars in general all DSMs aside. The O2 sensor wires have been cut, as well as the rear marker lights, engine is only partly together and the wiring that is there is questionable at best. There are bolts that don't belong on the suspension and a bolt missing from the strut mount! The car was also painted and while the paint looks pretty good, for some reason it looks like the black parts were over-sprayed on with white. But there is white under all of them! I don't understand why someone would do this but that's how it is. I also found a wrench, socket, and a key to the car under the carpet. Not exactly a rocket scientist. So now here are the pictures.
du2eqane.jpg
e6edepab.jpg
ju4ara6a.jpg

Found this sharpied under the rear hatch
7yrezynu.jpg
9ureve3e.jpg
(magic mystery switch)
peraje9a.jpg
ere4e3yz.jpg
pyqytamy.jpg
My goals for the car are hopefully around 300hp and to fix up the rust and touch up or repaint. Sorry for the long post and hopefully these pictures make some sense. I'll post some more when I'm not so tired and be a little more specific about each area. But for now enjoy! Hopefully it'll run in 2 weeks or so, with my dad's help. It's a first dsm experience for both of us so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
They probably started it as a project saw the rust and didn't finish, I know with dsm link you can just use a wideband o2 and you don't need the factory o2 wiring any more some people do wire harness tucks and cut out extra wiring or things they have deleted because some tuning software you can do that with

Thanks for the useful info! That might be the case but wires, such a the rear marker lights, were also just cut and left loose. Almost none of the wires that were cut were even taped off. It's just really questionable workmanship in general.

A little bit more progress. I have been busy cleaning up and painting the engine bay. Went with black for the bay and a dark silver for the block. Still need to decide on a color for the head and the manifold. I'm thinking of doing a bronze color on the head but I might go with red.

Edit: I found out the turbo in the car is a 16g turbo not stock! (Don't laugh it's my first dsm.) I did check for play in the turbo before I bought the car I just didn't realize it wasn't stock. It seems like my 300hp dreams could be closer than I thought.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back