The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

MS2 and sensor/throttle body help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerndog8

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2004
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am currently in the process of switching my 420a over to mega squirt 2, and I have a few questions.

1: I would like to switch from my MP60 throttle body to something larger, I am currently using a custom sheet aluminum intake, and I will have no problem having a new flange made up and welded on, however my concern is idle control. More so using a TB with a large bore and no IAC provision. What are some options or choices I may have to both achieve my larger bore needs and still be able to control idle more efficiently.

- also along the note of using a different throttle body, would be; how will I be able to accurately calculate the throttle eccentric to match or at least be similar in throw to our vehicles cable/ throttle pedal.

2: If I were to acquire the information needed to do such a swap; My understanding is that symtech the company I am looking to purchase this prefabricated unit from, states I will be able to use all existing 420a sensors, however can that symtech MS2 unit allow me to use say a Mustang, evo, srt-4; flanged throttle body and their associated TPS and IAC, in its raw form, or will the MS2 need to be re calibrated in its TPS set up for the otherwise different from 420a sensor.

Thank you, sorry for the long read.

I am currently in the process of switching my 420a over to mega squirt 2, and I have a few questions.

1: I would like to switch from my MP60 throttle body to something larger, I am currently using a custom sheet aluminum intake, and I will have no problem having a new flange made up and welded on, however my concern is idle control. More so using a TB with a large bore and no IAC provision. What are some options or choices I may have to both achieve my larger bore needs and still be able to control idle more efficiently.

SymTech Megasquirt ECU's are compatible with just about all types of idle air controllers (IAC). By default, they are equipped to control lower current (less than 1A) PWM and on/off-type fast idle air valves. Optionally, they can be equipped to control stepper motor-type IAC's.

The Modern Performance 60mm throttle bodies use the stock 420A DSM IAC, which is a stepper motor-type IAC. Other types of throttle bodies may use PWM or fast idle air valves. You may also retrofit any 420A DSM throttle body for use with PWM or fast idle air valves.

2: If I were to acquire the information needed to do such a swap; My understanding is that symtech the company I am looking to purchase this prefabricated unit from, states I will be able to use all existing 420a sensors, however can that symtech MS2 unit allow me to use say a Mustang, evo, srt-4; flanged throttle body and their associated TPS and IAC, in its raw form, or will the MS2 need to be re calibrated in its TPS set up for the otherwise different from 420a sensor.

Thank you, sorry for the long read.

All SymTech Megasquirt ECU's are completely configurable. You can, and should, calibrate your throttle position sensor (TPS) upon setting up your ECU. All TPS's are slightly different and it's best that your ECU know your sensor's exact output range.

Perfect, thank you very much.

So really the only concern that I might have, is the throttle eccentric matching the factory pedal/cable; Has anyone switched to larger bore thottle bodies such as a mustang, or even an aftermarket Evo throttle body in their 420a MS 2 powered car?

My next question for you guys over at symTech would have to be then, will I need to specify to you what sensors I plan on using in each situation prior to ordering, so that their would not be any coding differentials?

So really the only concern that I might have, is the throttle eccentric matching the factory pedal/cable; Has anyone switched to larger bore thottle bodies such as a mustang, or even an aftermarket Evo throttle body in their 420a MS 2 powered car?

We can't be of much help here, but the throttle pedal throw on most cars is similar. We would be surprised if you had an issue after swapping your throttle body for a different kind.

My next question for you guys over at symTech would have to be then, will I need to specify to you what sensors I plan on using in each situation prior to ordering, so that their would not be any coding differentials?

There is no difference in the firmware for ECU's using different types of sensors. The user calibrates the ECU for each type of sensor. The MAP sensor and temperature sensors can all be calibrated using standard data, while the TPS is simply calibrated by notifying the ECU when the throttle plate is fully open and fully closed.

Perfect, thank you very much.

Yes, DSM-ZERO is running a Ford 5.0 Acufab 90mm TB with just a TPS, no IAC. He does not, however, run MS2. He's got an Electromotive TEC3r. He IS using the stock throttle cable, though...

Thank you, fantastic information.

And here I thought a 75mm Throttle body was going to be sufficient, maybe I should consider an 80mm.

Thank you, fantastic information.

And here I thought a 75mm Throttle body was going to be sufficient, maybe I should consider an 80mm.

Um, I don't know what your goals are but you might want to do a little search-o-matic for his info. He's putting down around 660whp.

Now, I'm only putting down just shy of 570whp and I'm using the MP 60mm.

Also, I have fabbed up a 65mm Mustang throttle body to the NA that I have and the throttle cable pulls the same as stock.

MB

Very impressive numbers Bullett!, I have read a lot about your car over on 2gnt, but I never knew the specifics of the build.

570whp on the MP60 is very impressive! When I did some basic air flow calculations based on the diameter of the venturi and the amount of air my turbo "should" move, it was very clear that a 60mm wasn't going to be sufficient. Which is the only reason I felt I should upgrade, (purely based on mathematics, not so much on dyno results), that and I have no other car but a select few whom I have limited access to their builds to base my upgrades upon.

However based on that, I believe a 75mm will be more then sufficient.

Thank you to the Customer Support over at Symtech, after a long chat we were able to put together an MS2 unit that would suite exactly what i was looking for.

as for the throttle body issue; I have decided to go with an accufab F75 (75mm 5.0 mustang flanged Throttle body)

Thank you to all of you whom took the time to help me out!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back