The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Motor STILL rocks after mount swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSX_FTW

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2010
Waukegan, Illinois
A little history on what happened. Car is a 2g AWD AUTO. This was back in July of 2012. I was coming home from work, got about 2 miles away from home, made a left turn and the entire car pulls to the right and what i thought was just some bad wheel hop/blown strut was actually the engine rocking. I hadnt figured it out until about a month later that i decided to pop the hood open while the car was running and had someone shift from P,R,N,D,2,L (foot on brake) and noticed the movement. So i thought motor mounts right away. Car was still able to move around just the rocking kept getting worse with acceleration so i let it sit pretty much the rest of summer and into winter, and just now got done with it.

I have replaced all 4 mounts, all brand new (1 being prothane insert, trans) and the motor STILL rocks back and forth something fierce like before. Especially when put into R/D/2/L and giving it a little bit of gas just like before when given acceleration rocking gets worse. Now the car doesnt move at all so im thinking two things here,

1) i have frozen calipers from it sitting so long (i hope)
2) Trans might be shot (still have NOT drained tranny fluid or pulled pan)

What else would cause an engine to still rock back and forth even after all 4 mounts have been replced? Dowel pins from trans to block are all there..

I will post a video of it rocking like crazy in the morning.

Mods, if this is in the wrong spot please move thread to appropriate section as to im not sure on what im dealing with here any more.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing back on the road!

Is one of the mount brackets broken somewhere? Did you check every bolt that's part of the mounts? Did you check the center support for missing bolts or possible cracked? Oh by the way I was born in Waukegan LOL. :)

Nope I inspected everything pretty carefully. Every bolt is in place and tighted up real well. Center support as in like crossmember?

Good thing you moved because this town has gone to shit LOL.

Run all poly mounts.

These are all brand new mounts, so i doubt id need to run all poly mounts if their brand new.

EDIT: here are the videos

http://youtu.be/71lAIy-1reU

http://youtu.be/bY2sgEu9z-g

Last edited:
Ya crossmember/center support, it sounds to me like something else has broke or is cracked near one of the mounts. I just watched your vid its the drivers motor mount bro. What did you replace for that mount the whole thing or just a push in insert? Are you sure you have the right insert for that mount, can you take it off and put a pic up.

I'd check the rear mount first as it looks like the engine is sinking down in the back. You're also (obviously) getting a lot of movement from the drivers side mount, but the front/rear mounts are the ones that should really control the engine movement.

Either way, OEM stock mounts won't keep the engine from moving. It will still flex.

For reference, here's a video of my car. Solid front/rear roll stops and Prothane side mounts. My engine doesn't move.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5birnr5A3uo]BIGLADY MOD - YouTube[/ame]

Damn. Can't say that I've seen that before...

If that were my DSM I'd jack the car up off the wheels and see whats letting it move like that from under the engine bay. I know it's pretty common for tuners to install the transmission mount incorrectly, bolting it directly to the transmission.

This is on a 5-speed but it's the same concept, the mount was bolted directly to the transmission and not the cup itself. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/364881-keep-breaking-tranny-mounts.html

Take a shot of your transmission mount and post it. The P/N for the A/T cup is MD753956.

:dsm:

Watching those videos makes me remember how my mounts looks before I replaced them.... My driverside was broken but moved as much as that... Since I went prothane there is barely any movement what-so-ever... Mind you I only replaced the driverside currently but stopped my motor rocking by almost 50%

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya crossmember/center support, it sounds to me like something else has broke or is cracked near one of the mounts. I just watched your vid its the drivers motor mount bro. What did you replace for that mount the whole thing or just a push in insert? Are you sure you have the right insert for that mount, can you take it off and put a pic up.

I replaced the whole thing with an OEM unit. It was pretty sturdy when i bought it, and i just removed it and its shot...the rubber didnt hold for anything.

I'd check the rear mount first as it looks like the engine is sinking down in the back. You're also (obviously) getting a lot of movement from the drivers side mount, but the front/rear mounts are the ones that should really control the engine movement.

I just checked it today and its still holding up fine. The drivers side mount was shot though. I have the prothane inserts for that one as well and luckily i had a spare driver side mount so today that what i did. I put the insert together with the extra mount. Now im trying to align it all properly which is a pain in the ass.

Damn. Can't say that I've seen that before...

If that were my DSM I'd jack the car up off the wheels and see whats letting it move like that from under the engine bay. I know it's pretty common for tuners to install the transmission mount incorrectly, bolting it directly to the transmission.

This is on a 5-speed but it's the same concept, the mount was bolted directly to the transmission and not the cup itself. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/364881-keep-breaking-tranny-mounts.html

Take a shot of your transmission mount and post it. The P/N for the A/T cup is MD753956.

Ill go ahead and post a pic, tomorrow morning, of how i bolted the transmission mount. Im pretty sure i got it right, but ill let you guys have a look, still learning on this.

Watching those videos makes me remember how my mounts looks before I replaced them.... My driverside was broken but moved as much as that... Since I went prothane there is barely any movement what-so-ever... Mind you I only replaced the driverside currently but stopped my motor rocking by almost 50%

Nice! I just swapped out the rubber for the prothane on the drivers side mount. Hopefully this mount on the drivers side will hold up now.

If you increase idle does it go away?

At idle its fine, its just when its under load.

Heres what the recent mount looked like after i took it off, rubber was shot.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

New insert in it, hopefully itll solve this issue.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Was it the same mount that was broke the last time?

You may need to loosen the other mounts and play with the jack under the engine. I also find I sometimes need to hammer the bolt a bit with a rubber mallet to help it line up, and then push in while wrenching on it to help start it. That bolt is one of the worst to get aligned if you don't have stock mounts.

Well that's 2 mounts now that I've gone through. Any guesses as to why they keep blowing? And is there a trick to lining up the center sleeve on the prothane mount when putting it in? It doesn't line up with the hole for the bolt that goes through.
Like Brian said, that's the bolt that will take you hours to get lined up. I have solid mounts all the way around so to install that one I've got to almost completely loosen the other three to get enough wiggle room to line that one up. It may also help to take off the front driverside tire and check that it's lining up from the wheel well with a flashlight down the bolt hole. By looking at it that way you can get a better idea of which way you need to move the motor...

There's no trick, just patience but that's definitely the fun one. LOL

Reviving this thread. Havent touched the car until now. Even with solid mounts its STILL rocking. I thought i was going nuts just by looking at it rock WITH SOLID MOUNTS! I even purchased a new driver side mount from the dealership and it rocks with that one as well...im lost here. What else would cause it to rock like that? Would bad subframe mounts make it rock back and forth like that?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back