The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

motor shot, smoking worse then a factory..starting from scratch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddsm00

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2004
east brunswick, New_Jersey
alright, on the 2g that i just got from a "dealership" the motor is going already...it may not be that the motor is going but all the seals are basically shot, im loosing oil faster then i can keep up with on a daily basis and ive pretty much decided on going with a six bolt swap...im not a rich guy so i have to pretty much peice the engine together one step at a time in stead of going all out...the only problem is i dont know which order i should go in...would it be more logical to work bottom end up or from the head down...this will be the first time im doing a motorswap myself so pretty much the only thing i can do is take advice from all the veteran dsmers who have been in the position i am now, sitting with a moderate understanding of dsm's and all their problems and how to fix it it but not knowing which direction to take :D also im planning on buying a used shortblock that will need remachining due to my low budget and i was wondering if you guys had any good advice for any reasonably priced machine shops to go with.....any help would be greatly appriciated :) thanks

sean

Well lets see, where to start. If you do not already have a 6-bolt motor and that is the way you want to go then try to find a good used shortblock or longblock. The longblock will give you a 1G head, and hopefully an intake, and CAS too. If you can buy something that runs, but needs help. At least that way you will know you will not be buying a boat anchor, or something that requires extensive work.

If you are doing this for the first time then I would suggest that you try to find a Friend or someone to help you along. As far as machine shops go, I would try to find one with some DSM experience, and that should not be too hard since your on the East coast.

From there you will need to tear down the motor and inspect it, to determine what parts and machine work will be needed. Also of note hammers and pry bars are not needed for disassembly. Take your time and rerun all cam caps, main cap, and rod caps to their respective places.

thank you very much...youve helped out alot...what about as far as other stuff i would need to go to the 6 bolt route....like 6 bolt flywheel and other stuff like that...

Well as I stated before, you will need a 1G CAS. Yes you will need the correct 6-bolt flywheel for you application. The 1G throttle body is nice to have, and make sure that you get the 6-bolt oil filter housing with your motor. If you get the early air to oil, oil cooler style housing get the lines and cooler as well, or make plans do buy an after market cooler, lines and fittings. You will also need the 1G water pipe that corasponds with which style oil cooler you will be running. If you are going to stay with the 2G coil pack then you will need to make provisions for mounting it if useing the 1G intake. You will also need to tranfer the driver side engine mount from your 2g motor onto the 6-bolt motor. This will require a little modificaton to the mount itself. You may need some of the turbo coolant and oil lines, depending on how it is currently set up on your car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back