The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

motor rebuild$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droppinbottom

Banned Member
Nov 7, 2005
####, Yukon_Canada
just trying to find a general price range of what you think a rebuild should run if you are having the following done?

valves were bent and pistons were damaged so

new valves new 1g pistons and new rod bearings along with a timing belt kit and having the balance shafts removed

the reason why im asking is i am letting a local guy do the work and he has a very good rep in the area for his work on dsm's and the price he mentioned seems a bit high to me.

I'd say anything much more than $2000 would be overpriced. It would help to know what he quoted you.

timing belt replacement/bs elim (and water pump while you are in there)-$450
head removal-repair, new valves-$350
pistons/bearings/etc (assuming block is fine)-$350

That's $1150, round to $1250 for misc parts and labor, then multiply by the "I didn't think it was going to cost that much factor" of 150% = $1875. Tax etc brings you around 2g's.

I would say it also depends on if you are getting your parts through him or if you are bringing parts to him and all he's doing is labor. I would agree with the 2k mark though.

yeah we were trying to stay @2k and i figured that was fine. now he is telling me it will be around 2,500 and that seems a little high to me being i could buy a stock short block for about 1800. im letting him get all the parts. and his labor rates are @50 hr
www.englishracing.net

That does seem a little high to me. My buddy got his engine rebuilt with JE pistons and Rods and it was ported and a little head work for just about that price. Maybe see if you cant find the parts yourself for cheaper before you go through with this. Again, thats just my .02

I just got done rebuilding my 2g turbo engine.

Engine Kit (gaskets, rings, bearings etc.) $475
New Rod Bolts $49
Hone Block $25
Resize Rods $32
Turn Crank $45
Clean Block $45
Surface Head $35
Head Labor $45
Misc. and Tax $44

Total $795

Also bought balance shaft removal kit $90 ?

The fly wheel was also resurfaced $90

My cousin builds a lot of race engines for local circle track racers. He assembled the engine for $200.

I have about $1200 in the rebuild. I was fortunate that the block showed no wear so I only had to hone it. The head was ok. And the rods and pistons looked good. I had to resize the rods because of one of them was dinged by the spun bearing along with the crank.

I removed and installed the engine so that saved me $$. While I was in there I put a new clutch in it.

I know that some people cut corners on the machine shop work but I cannot imagine putting money in an engine and not having everything checked and machined.

I hope that this helps. If you have any questions just ask.

Good luck

well i just got off the phone with the guy who has my car and he told me i was looking at 2675 total bill or he said i could go with a jdm motor swap for 2500 total price. to me this just seems too much. i know the block was in good shape and im just stuck with which route i need to go so any advice would be helpful

droppinbottom said:
well i just got off the phone with the guy who has my car and he told me i was looking at 2675 total bill or he said i could go with a jdm motor swap for 2500 total price. to me this just seems too much. i know the block was in good shape and im just stuck with which route i need to go so any advice would be helpful

Well if your stuck taking your car to this guy you might as well go with the new motor, I don't recall if you said you were having any major upgrades done with the rebuild, if no upgrades go new (assuming by the JDM swap you meant new :confused: )....good luck and it's just my .02 :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back