The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Manual FWD to Auto AWD Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I'm starting my Manual FWD to Auto AWD swap this weekend. The car is a 96 GST Spyder. The swap shell is/was a 98 Talon AWD.

Parts I have already for this endeavor:
- AWD Auto trans
- Auto Transfer Case
- Auto LSD Diff w/subframe
- All matching axles
- Driveshaft
- AWD Tank, complete
- Full engine/body/interior harness's
- Crank auto pilot bearing
- Flexplate
- OEM Trans coolers (GST one, and Talon one)
- Exhaust, AWD
- TCU
- Shifter assy, with all the shift lock cables
- Brake petal assy

Here's the questions:

- To swap the engine to work with the auto parts I have to remove the flywheel dowl pin, and add the pilot bearing correct? Is that it?

- I'm running an Evo 8 ECU, is there anything I need to change to make the idle correctly?

- Whats the best way to change/flush the trans/diff/T-case/TQ converter fluid? All four had some old, dark fluid in them. (no burnt smell, no shavings)

- For mounting the trans on to the engine, install the TQ converter on the trans (after adding fluid to it), then fully bolt the trans to the engine, then bolt the TQ converter to the flexplate correct?

- I heard that there is a product that I needs to shoot through the cooler/lines/etc, whats the name of it?

- How can you easily tell if you have an auto transfer case or a manual transfer case? I'm 99% sure that its the correct on, but it was not installed when I got the shell. It has the same amount of rust on it as the diff had though.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, alittle update.

The car is has all the FWD rear end stuff out, sub-frame bolts and awd gas tank bolts in.

The crank had no flywheel dowel installed. So that made easy just to press the auto pilot bearing into the crank by HAND!

But we installed the flexplex backwards, after almost getting the trans all the way installed.

JUST FOR ANYONE LOOKING, WHEN INSTALLING THE 2g FLEXPLATE, THE PLATE GOES TOWARD THE BLOCK!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back