The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Magnaflow or Vibrant for quiet muffler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddiish

10+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2011
Oviedo, Florida
Hey Guys,

I've been searching on this for weeks now, looking through just about every thread here about building a quiet exhaust, but have a question or two of my own.

Here is my proposed exhaust setup: a'Pexi N1 downpipe (no cat), to a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator (or 5" round muffler, I cant decide), back to either a Vibrant Streetpower 3" in/Dual 3"out OR Magnaflow 3" of some sort.
This is the MF I've had my eye on: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11184

I am trying to keep my exaust fairly quiet, drone is my biggest concern however. Not being able to have a conversation or listen to music in the car is driving me insane..and im only 20..I feel so old :|

I have been leaning towards the vibrant mufflers since they seem to be longer than the MF Race mufflers, and volume equals Db reduction right?

Thoughts on using an Ultra Quiet or 5" round muffler up towards where the cat would be?

P.S. my current exhaust is a catback n1 with a rusted out muffler, the downpipe I thought was apexi as well, but doesnt have a resonator in the cat position, and the n1 does, correct?

Thanks for the help guys! Pics and sound clips are very helpful!

I mean, yeah - putting in an extra resonator/muffler up where the cat would be is a great idea if you don't want a loud exhaust.

Right, that is pretty much the plan. I guess I'm really trying to figure if a muffler would be a better option than an ultra quiet res.

One thing to remember is the loudness will be the same it's the deepness and tone of it that makes it seem quieter. I find Louravated style (fishscale style) resonators really lower the tone of an exhaust but they do restrict power as it kinda bottlenecks the flow.

I think a resonator is going to more or less reduce the harshness, raspiness and not necessarily overall volume and be less restrictive then adding another muffler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back